Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged "Automatically" subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

More
14 years 3 months ago #11 by LittleJohn
How aboout making it as a weekly activity mail then?

One 'newsletter' a week with all the new threads (and/or postings)..?
The topic has been locked.
More
14 years 2 months ago #12 by mummygeek_spain
Yes Please - a Plug-in or Hack - I don't care how dirty it is :kiss:
It seems the simplest ask.

With a new forum it is an essential tool for getting more users active - it can always be switched off once the number of posts gets to a healthy level.
More
14 years 2 months ago #13 by mummygeek_spain
Yes great - a weekly newsletter is fine (or perhaps the ability to set the frequency might be even better)

Every forum is different but when the number of users is small and they are not accustomed to posting then a little gentle nudge can spur the activity needed and a regular listing of new post links would do this.

Currently I use acajoom to create a newsletter and I put in links to the recent posts - this is manual of course and I cannot expect novice forum owners to do this themselves.

So if anyone has found a solution, a work around or a plug-in/ mod whatever please share.
:S
More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #14 by sozzled
The simplest and cleanest way to achieve this goal is to produce a daily/weekly/monthly digest of forum activity and mail your users on an opt-in subscription basis. Those who are not interested in this service can opt-out, if they choose.

There are commercially-written news digest components available that can produce these newsletters automatically for you. Alternatively, you can produce your own regular newsletter. B)

I have also merged the two, almost identical topics that have been running concurrently into this one.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
More
14 years 2 months ago #15 by bonaventure
I haven't tried this yet, but first create a listserv (like Google Groups) with all of your members. For example, lets say you have a group address of [email protected] that has 50 members, the same members that belong to your forum.

Then create a new user in Joomla (or Jomsocial or CB) using the name of your organization. For example, make the first name, "Example Organization" and the last name, "Members" (these will eventually populate the email that will be sent to your users). Be sure to use the same email address for this user as you did for your listserv group (in this case, [email protected]).

Now go to your Kunena board and edit the user you just created, setting it as the moderator of the forums that you'd like to send automatic notifications.

Be sure to check Kunena configuration to enable notification to moderators.

Optional: Make some tweaks to your language file in administrator/components/com_kunena/language at about line 1394:
Code:
$_COM_A_NOTIFICATION1 = "A new post has been made to a topic to which you have subscribed on the"; $_COM_A_NOT_MOD2 = "Please click the following link to read the full post. You must be logged in to post a response.";

Now every time a message is posted, it will send notification to [email protected], which contains all of your members.

Thus you get the word out with no hacks to the system.

Your message will look something like this:
Code:
Example Organization Members, A new post has been made to a topic to which you have subscribed on the Example Organization Forum Subject: New Forum Post Forum: Example Forum Posted by: Bob Smith Please click the following link to read the full post. You must be logged in to post a response. URL: http://www.exampledomain.com/path/to/kunena/forum/post Message: ----- This is a sample message placed in the Example Forum. ----- Do not answer to this e-mail notification as it is a generated e-mail. ** Powered by Kunena! - http://www.Kunena.com **

Contrary to some of the other naysayers, such notifications can boost responses on a forum, particularly in the early going. I've seen it more than once. I have also seen people renew their membership in a society because they want to respond to a post that they received via email (but their membership lapsed on the forum...so they paid up to respond). Simply remove this user (or turn off his moderation) as soon as your board is very active.

Just some thoughts. B)
More
14 years 2 months ago #16 by mummygeek_spain
Thanks for this bonaventure - it's certainly a reasonable alternative.

Interestingly Matias has posted this:

"Kunena 2.0 will make this possible -- we have already plans how to fix this."

HERE
More
14 years 2 months ago #17 by LittleJohn
As I understands it, Kunena 1.6 -> 2.0 will undergo a huge rewrite, making the code more flexible and easier to maintain.

This probably means easier event handling, making a lot of things easier/possible to do via plugins.
I could easily be mistaken, but I think he was referring to this change.
More
14 years 2 months ago #18 by andyj7410
Thanks for this bonaventure that solved my problem.
More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #19 by saskia
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but i will try anyway.

I have searched the forum on topics about email notification but i haven't found a solution yet. Our client, who uses Kunena, wants email notification to all members whenever a new post has been made. I am aware of the discussion going on if email notification should be made possible or not. I do not want to go there, because my client is king and this is what she wants.....

Could anybody give me a clue, tip, hack around the fact that email notification is not standard in Kunena 1.5.9? The code for notifications for administrators/moderators? Anything?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Saskia
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject to improve search relevance
More
14 years 1 month ago #20 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Re:email notification
Hello,

If i remenber right, in kunena 1.6.0 you will have the possibility to receive email notifications for a complete category instead of a precise post.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
Time to create page: 0.623 seconds