Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged "Automatically" subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

More
13 years 7 months ago #61 by ejw
Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer the question. I see that the question actually was not very precise from my side...

I did not expect Kunena to have anything to do with the registration process. I added this remark because of anti-spam legislation and wanted to express that users need a choice. I am also aware that it would be best to have highly educated and interested users. However, reality is not like that, or maybe I just don't know how to deal with this ;-). "Subscribe to a category" is now implemented in K1.6 and was discussed above, no real question open at the moment related to that.

The core of the question related to the "auto-subscribe" feature that you announced about 2-3 months ago (quoted). I understand "auto" in the way that every user automatically gets a notification (for the categorie(s) specified). This is a feature that I (and as I understand this thread, many others) need, because my forum has a small/medium size and people react much better and quicker to posts when they receive it via email rather than them having to login to the site regularly to check for new posts. That simply is my experience now and forces me to use Fireboard with the known hack for this.

So did I understand this wrong and with "auto-subscribe" you actually mean more "chose to subscribe (to a category)" (and then automatically get the notifications for that cat.)?

And if so, may I request the "auto" feature in terms of "every user gets notification of a (selection of) categorie(s)"? :-) I believe it was described like that in your feature survey but cannot find it at the moment.

BW, Erik
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #62 by sozzled

ejw wrote: The core of the question related to the "auto-subscribe" feature that you announced about 2-3 months ago (quoted). I understand "auto" in the way that every user automatically gets a notification (for the categorie(s) specified).

I understand the term auto in the sense that a user doesn't have to do anything ... it just happens. In the context of the question, the term "auto-subscribe" has been defined earlier in this topic to mean just that: users do not have to do anything - they are automatically subscribed to receive e-mails of every message posted to the forum from the moment they register with the site.

I made a dreadful mistake in the message that I wrote a couple of months ago - which no-one else detected. I had not intended to announce that "auto-subscribe" (in the narrow sense that I understand it to mean) was being implemented in K 1.6. My intention was to say that K 1.6 offered an extended range of features to allow users to subscribe themselves to receive notification by e-mail of forum "happenings".

With K 1.5 users could only subscribe to a topic. This was the situation a while ago, before K 1.6 had been made publicly available. K 1.6 allows users to subscribe to topics and to categories of topics ... but there's still nothing "automatic" in the subscription process. Users have to choose for themselves which topics or categories of topics they want to subscribe to.

I hope that clears up any confusion and I'm sorry for the mistake I made in using the word "automatic" when I shouldn't have.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
More
13 years 7 months ago #63 by ejw
ok, understood, thanks for clarifying

leaves only this question: is the "automatic subscription" in the pipeline as well?

I vote yes :-)
More
13 years 7 months ago #64 by MindTooth
Another thing that I see as a must, is an option to enabled subscribe by default.

I have no intention to neglect your great work. But it is things like these we out our voice to get into the best forum solution atm. for Joomla! :)
More
13 years 7 months ago #65 by sozzled

MindTooth wrote: Another thing that I see as a must, is an option to enabled subscribe by default.

This is a configuration option that people can change to suit their own requirements.
More
13 years 7 months ago #66 by MindTooth
More
13 years 7 months ago #67 by sozzled

MindTooth wrote: In version 1.6 or a future release?

There is a configuration setting . The setting is
  • K 1.0 and K 1.5: Kunena Forum » Kunena Configuration » Frontend » User Related » Post-subscription checked by default? = Yes
  • K 1.6: Kunena Forum » Configuration » Users » Post-subscription checked by default? = Yes
The purpose of that setting is to, by default, check the checkbox below the message editing area so that when the user presses the Submit button they are then subscribed to the topic they have just posted a message to. In other words, see the screen below:

Please confirm if we are discussing the same "option" to enable "subscribe by default". Thank you.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MindTooth
More
13 years 7 months ago #68 by MindTooth
Yes, we were :) Thank you for clarifying this. Been staying under a rock lately :P
More
13 years 6 months ago #69 by ON4ROS
We are using Fireboard. I would like to know if, with the new version of Kunena it is possible to automatically send an email to all forum members containing either just any new topic title or the full new topic post. Then allowing the individual forum members to choose whether to subscribe to the thread or not.

At the moment, we are running a forum using Fireboard for our own club website, and Yahoo forum externally. The reason for the Yahoo forum is that this permits members to passively see the activity on the forum but we would prefer to have the one forum on our own site. At the moment, when using the club Fireboard forum, it is necessary to access the club website to see if there are any new topics/threads and then subscribe if they are of interest.
More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #70 by nvcacademy
I've read some of the discussion about why Auto subscription is a bad idea and understand the rationale. However, we run an educational site where people are opting in by registering, they are agreeing to automatically receive emails from the forum. We currently use moodle which has these features, but we are leaving moodle behind toward a simpler Joomla solution.

So we'd like to have both auto-subscription by category and digest option by category implemented as soon as possible. We'd be willing to possibly co-sponsor the job to get it into 1.7 if possible.

is the development team interested in discussing the idea?

If not do you have a sense of how far down the road such features would be implemented?

thanks.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by nvcacademy.
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds