Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged "Automatically" subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

More
14 years 8 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1 by asmith
I would like to CC multiple emails when I am posting a new thread so that when my thread has been posted, those email recipients I selected hear about the new thread that I opened?

Is this possible? Or does anyone know how to accomplish something like this?

thanks
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change subject and topic icon
The topic has been locked.
More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
We've had a similar discussion about this in the past. There is no right or wrong answer but, for a lot of very good reasons, even if it were possible I would advise against doing it until after you had discussed the idea with your users.

While anything's possible (and I'm sure it's possible to design a technical solution within Kunena for this case) it goes against allowing your users their right to exercise a choice in the matter. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. Would you want to receive every e-mail notifying you that a new message had been posted at the website's forum? Can you opt-out from receiving these e-mails? What if you regularly visit the website anyway? These e-mail notifications ultimately become counter-productive.

As you will see, if you read the discussion I referred to earlier, it is possible to achieve the result you desire but it may come at a greater cost than you might have anticipated. In my opinion, you may find it better to use one of a mass mail-out/news digest system as a way of encouraging your members to visit and participate in your forum activities.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.
More
14 years 4 months ago #3 by acca
Hello everybody, i'm a new user of Kunena

Is it possible to send notification to all users to notify that a new topic has been started ?

I have seen in this topic www.kunena.com/forum/97-solved-or-prior-...ification-email#3405
that it may be implemented 9 months ago.

In addition i'd like the users to be notified only on new topics but not on reply if they don't subscribe to the topic.

Thank you
More
14 years 4 months ago #4 by Oscarfishlover
I think this is actually a very bad idea indeed & would probably annoy people. Unless I am absolutely desperate to know when a reply has been posted to the question, I don't subscribe to any thread. The last thing I want is lots of e-mails that I'm not interested in. Maybe you could have something implemented on the forum that you could subscribe to so you know when a new threat has been posted, but automatically informing users that a new threat has been posted would really p1ss people off, especially if you've got 500 new posts a day :-).

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2
More
14 years 4 months ago #5 by acca
Hi

We are a community of 20 users, many of them don't use to look for new topics.

It's why i'd like to notify users only about new topics.

In my case, it would not be annoying people.
More
14 years 4 months ago #6 by miamiman
To be able to automatically send out NEW TOPIC NOTIFICAIONS to registered users would be a great tool for an active community. The users would then be able to unsubscribe or change their notification settings.

Any old plug-in or hack would do.
More
14 years 3 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #7 by andyj7410
Hello,

I am trying to make it so that, when anyone creates a new thread or posts a reply that it sends a email notification to all members (including those that are not admin/moderators) for the forums. I believe its somewhere in the code put if I could get exact code change that would be great.

Thanks again
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Merged topic and changed subject to improve search relevance
More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #8 by sozzled
We've discussed this topic several times before: The conventional wisdom is that this kind of request is not a particularly good idea and, as is often the case when people try to find a technological solution to a a non-technological "problem", if you were to succeed you will probably create greater, genuine problems in the process.

I don't know why you want this kind of solution but if you think it will overcome your problem of not getting people to visit your website more often then you are mistaken. Consider if this how you would like to be treated before you impose your procedures and your values on others.

I don't know if your website or discussion forum are very active, but if there is a burst in activity your "solution" will generate a flood of e-mails and most people do not appreciate being drowned.

To summarise what we've said in the past, if you impose an inflexible technological solution, and do not give your users the ability to opt-out, your users will more likely see the stream of e-mail as nothing more than spam and they will probably resent you as the cause of it.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
More
14 years 3 months ago #9 by LittleJohn
I can see only one purpose, where such a function would really come in hand:
Some private board for small groups of people. containing summarys, reports, financial info or other stuff for the group.

But it would probably only be for private groups and not a good solution (using a forum as document placeholder/filemanager).
More
14 years 3 months ago #10 by andyj7410
I thank you all for your critisisim of doing this. But this is a small group who rarly check the boards and have all unanimously asked that I do this for them. I agree it will create an excess of emails to people (but this is what they want, not only me). The group dont post topics/ replys that often as well. Maybe only 4 a week.
Time to create page: 2.021 seconds