Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged "Automatically" subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

More
13 years 6 months ago #71 by mikm27
Is there a way for an administrator to subscribe users to a category or sub-category? It would be very helpful to do this for my club website - when a user signs up for an event, the admin would subscribe them to the forum category associated with that event. When the event organizer submits a post to the category, then all the right people would get an email notification.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 6 months ago #72 by sozzled
More
13 years 5 months ago #73 by dmoorefus
I'm interested in automatically subscribing certain users to certain categories in our forums so they're notified via email when a new post is made in a forum.

So, I followed a bit on this thread,

www.kunena.com/forum/159-k-16-common-que...it=10&start=10#63646

and it looks like this might be a feature at some point, but until then, I thought I'd try and manually do it in the database.

So, I went through and added some information to the jos_kunena_subscriptions_categories table for the userids and the category ids. I got the category id from the Kunena category manager panel and the userid from the Kunena User panel (which they're also the same as the Joomla userid).

I just created a post on the forum that I subscribed everyone to yesterday and have only heard of one user that got a notification that there was a post. Two other users that I confirmed were subscribed in the database did not receive notifications. One of the users I had go to the forum that I subscribed him to and confirm that the button at the top of the forum said 'Unsubscribe' (which indicates that the DB does indeed think he's subscribed to that forum).

Is there something I'm missing in manually subscribing people to categories? A corresponding table that needs an entry as well? Is there any log file of which emails were sent out via the system? Or, any other troubleshooting data I can look for?

Thanks!

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Enabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 600 seconds | Max execution memory: 82M | Max file upload: 49M

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.0 | Build: 3620 | Version name: Spika | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Installed (Version : 1.2.3) | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Installed (Version : 2.0)

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Enabled (Version : 1.6.0-RC1) | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

More
13 years 5 months ago #74 by sozzled
Thanks for posting your K 1.6 configuration report.

There is no "manual subscribing of users to categories". Therefore there is nothing currently broken in K 1.6.0 and so there's nothing we can do for you from a support perspective (i.e. in terms of changing software). I am not aware of any plans to extend the functionality within K 1.6 or K 1.7. However, there are many things we can advise you to do.

You could read the very interesting discussion [Merged Topic] Automatically subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages . This has a lot of useful tips. ;)

While I have your attention, I notice from your configuration report that you are still running J! 1.5.20 in legacy mode. Two things:

(1) Upgrate to J! 1.5.21; and
(2) Read the important information about Legacy mode ... and please do something about it.
More
13 years 5 months ago #75 by dmoorefus

There is no "manual subscribing of users to categories".

I realize there's not front end interface to manually subscribing users to categories, but if I made the proper entry in the database table jos_kunena_subscriptions_categories, is that the only thing that would need to be done? Or is there another database table somewhere I'd need to make an entry in to accomplish this?

I realize this is an untenable solution for a large application, but there's just a couple of dozen people I'm looking to add for a few categories, so it could be accomplished pretty quickly if I knew the right DB tables to alter.

Thanks!

Also, thanks for the notes about Legacy mode. Investigating what breaks on my site once I turn that off...
More
13 years 5 months ago #76 by sozzled
People need to be extremely careful about tampering with SQL databases. See How To Destroy your forum data...

In your case, manually updating the tables may offer you a temporary solution but, as you say, it's not a highly desirable one. In the topic that I referred you to - [Merged Topic] Automatically subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages - site administrators who try to impose this one-size-fits-all solution on their uses may actually produce different outcomes to the ones they expect. For example, you may assign subscriptions to all of your users (in the way that you described) only to discover later that users have turned off those subscriptions themselves! You repeat the process and they repeat their insistence that, in some cases, they don't want to be subscribed even though you think it's in their best interests that they should be.

I always believe that users should be able to exercise their right to opt-in and opt-out of subscriptions when the circumstances meet their personal needs. This is the reasoning behind why Kunena was designed the way that it is.

There are other ways you can notify your users of new developments in your forum. News digests are a good way to go and, I believe, there are commercially-available products that work with Kunena. The Joomla Extensions Directory has information about these third-party products.
More
13 years 4 months ago #77 by readytohelpwm
Just upgraded to the latest version of Kunena and am curious if a feature was ever added that would allow the site administrator to manually subscribe users to different topics / boards?

(searched the kunena forums & docs on 1.6 but couldn't find an answer)
More
13 years 4 months ago #78 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Manually subscribe users
Hello,

You can't do that, i don't see exactly the purpose of this ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
More
13 years 4 months ago #79 by sozzled
More
13 years 3 months ago #80 by c.krug
hello,

i'm the admin of a small forum and want to have everyone knwon if any new post is made.

at the forum configuration i set "Post-subscription checked by default?" to yes, but that is just for new posts on a topic you already have subscribed.
i need any kind of hack or plugin to set all topics on email-notification for all users for any time.

oh, i use kunena 1.6.2.

anyone who can help me? thank you!
claudia
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds