Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

14 Feb 2012 01:03 - 14 Feb 2012 01:06
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: [Merged topic] How to protect my forum from spam

How to protect my forum from spam

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

The whole problem about spam on the forum - any forum, not just Kunena - starts with you, how you manage your website and whom you allow to post on your forum. If you only allow registered users to post on the forum then if you can stop spam registrations (or, at least, if you can make it more difficult for spam accounts to be registered) you've won the battle. Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. Therefore your question about how to stop people registering on your website with similar email addresses is best answered elsewhere.
05 Feb 2012 01:10 - 05 Feb 2012 01:11
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Registration weirdness, avatars and editing profiles

Site registration - no confirmation page - redirected to to the home page; have to scroll down to see the 'Go activate your profile' link.

G'day, burf16, and welcome to Kunena.

To make it easier to help us to help you faster, we ask everyone who posts topics in this Support section to read the posting guide first. The Guide to posting questions when asking for support appears on the Index page of this forum and a copy also appears at the top of this page.

We ask people who post of the forum to ask one question for each topic.

(1) User registration "confirmation" Please read the FAQs page (see the menu link above this forum): How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website? Kunena is not responsible for user registration.

(2) Unable to edit Kunena user profile Without seeing your configuration report and, unless we had a test account for your site (so that we may see what's happening for ourselves), it's my guess that you have a routing conflict. This could be caused having a third-party SEO product or not setting up your menu correctly. I can't tell you any more than that, sorry, and my guess could be wrong.
01 Feb 2012 14:55
Replied by sozzled on topic How to disable the Kunena login form?

user age detect and redirect

*** Off-topic ***

I'd like to be able to take out the login that comes in the forum, and only use the overall site login, for uniformity.
How can I remove the login form that comes in Kunena?

No problem, but that is yet another different question. Again (it doesn't take very long to search the forum for answers) I will direct you to where your question has been asked and answered: [Merged Topic] Disable Registration and Login

As far as your other questions just asked in this topic that seems to have more to do about finding how to screen underage users from registration, please use a more appropriate category/topic for those things and let's try to remain on topic.
01 Feb 2012 14:08 - 01 Feb 2012 14:18
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: user age detect and redirect

user age detect and redirect

I did not see that the registration interface that comes with the standard Kunena install asks for age or DOB, (nor in the Joomla 1.5 overall site registration either)

You seem to be asking the same questions you've asked elsewhere. Let me make it quite clear: there is no "registration interface that comes with the standard Kunena install." Kunena does not do registration. This question has been asked and answered many times. Please read How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?

I believe there is a way to assign permissions to certain forum categories: in that case, you could moderate/implement a policy that child-friendly posts would have to be placed in a chosen child-friendly category, then you could restrict child users to access only that category.

Yes. The procedure is covered (although not very well) in Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1) and Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 2) - advanced setup for special groups combined with the use of Joomla ACL (or an ACL component like Artof User for J! 1.5). See the Kunena 1.7.2 release notes for more information.
01 Feb 2012 13:44
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Integration of Joomla 1.5 login with Kunena login

Integration of Joomla 1.5 login with Kunena login

Please read the FAQs and the sticky topics in this category. Users register with the site. Unlike free-standing forum software (like phpBB or SMF) users do not have to register twice (one with the site and the other with the forum).

Login modules are Joomla modules. There is not hierarchy here - no one module is a "child" of another. These kinds of issues are best explained on the Joomla forum (forum.joomla.org).

Because Kunena is not involved with site registration, questions like "does the Kunena registration challenge users to verify they are over 18" do not apply. If you want your user registration procedure to challenge prospective users in this way, that's a question you need to ask of people who design user registration software for Joomla.

I suggest that you read the FAQ reference I gave earlier and to read a more comprehensive discussion of many of the issues you've raised here: www.kunena.org/forum/154-miscellaneous-o...in-to-use-my-website
25 Jan 2012 02:04 - 25 Jan 2012 16:34
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: ReCaptcha on Joomla 1.7.3 and Kunena 1.7.1 dosnt help

ReCaptcha on Joomla 1.7.3 and Kunena 1.7.1 dosnt help

Category: K 1.7 Support

G'day, Patrik, and welcome to Kunena.

See Using CAPTCHA spam protection in Kunena . I don't know anything about Joo Recaptcha plugin or whether it works with Kunena.

You posted your question in the K 1.6 and K 1.7 Support category. Please see the posting guide printed at the top of this page. How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website? , in any way, for account registration. In what way, therefore, is this a technical problem for Kunena?

We understand that many site owners have problems with spam. Those problems, however, are more about why spammers are attracted to their websites and what counter-spam registration procedures people have put in place on their websits than they are about Kunena. Some people have even suggest that Kunena is responsible for their websites receiving attention from spammers. We're not here to engage in speculation; there is a topic for that: How to protect my forum from spam .

What is this "bug" do you suspect and where do you think this "bug" lives?
20 Jan 2012 02:13
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Users receive message "email not valid, please use valid email"

Users receive message "email not valid, please use valid email"

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

I don't think it's a registration issue. I think it's a login issue. I could be wrong.
20 Jan 2012 02:02 - 20 Jan 2012 02:03
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Users receive message "email not valid, please use valid email"

Users receive message "email not valid, please use valid email"

Ah, I see!

Community Builder allows the option of using either (or both a username or an email address when you login to the site. The Kunena login form uses whatever login integration is used. The config. report shows

Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration = Auto Detect

This probably works. Alternatively, you can set

Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration = Community Builder

In the CB configuration panel there is another setting to allow logging in with an email address:

CB Configuration Manager » General » Login field type = Username or email

I guess that if someone gets the message "email not valid, please use valid email" they're not using the right one. I don't know. Sounds like a CB question to me.
12 Jan 2012 02:01 - 12 Jan 2012 02:04
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: kunena login form vs cb form - menu items missing

J! 1.7.3 + CB 1.7.1 + K 1.7.1: After login as administrator from forum login, not all menu items shown in Kunena menu

I have reported this topic to my colleagues who may be able to make some sense from all the different things. If you've tried the settings I recommended (Access Control = Joomla) and, in effect, when you try to login via the login form on the Kunena login form as an administrator and you are logged in (well, I still don't even know if you are logged-in ... something about being directed to a registration page :S ) but you don't see the Kunena menu as if you were logged in.

Look again at the images in msg #22. The first image shows the menu of someone who is logged in, of anyone who is logged in. There is nothing special about this menu - you said, this is the menu when you login as an admin with the usual CB Login module. If you login with a normal account, one with normal privileges, does it work differently (does the Kunena menu behave differently) to when you successfully login as an administrator. That's the question I would like to have an answer to.

Until now, this entire topic seems to be about a "problem" trying to login as an administrator. That may be a problem. A bigger problem, however, is what happens if a normal user tries to login to your site and they can't! Have you tested the situation with a normal user's account?
12 Jan 2012 01:43 - 12 Jan 2012 01:45
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: kunena login form vs cb form - menu items missing

J! 1.7.3 + CB 1.7.1 + K 1.7.1: After login as administrator from forum login, not all menu items shown in Kunena menu

Correct, CB Integration is not integrated. CB Integrated Login gets the user information but does not let the reset of the system know the user is there setting appropriate privileges.
With CB Integration the create an account function is correct.

... and this only seems to happen in J! 1.7 but not in J! 1.5, and this happens when you have not changed any permissions (component permissions, module permissions, user permissions) differently from J! 1.7 permissions.

In other words, it appears that the Kunena forum login function does not work (or if it does work, it doesn't work properly) when K 1.7.1 is integrated with Community Builder (in J! 1.7.3) with the following settings:

Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Avatars = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Profiles and User List = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Private Messaging = UddeIM
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Activity Notifications = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Access Control = Community Builder

I agree. Those are not the settings I would use. I would, instead, use these settings (just to see if it works):

Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Avatars = Auto Detect
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Profiles and User List = Auto Detect
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration = Auto Detect
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Private Messaging = Auto Detect
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Activity Notifications = Auto Detect
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Access Control = Auto Detect

And, if that didn't work, I would use the following settings:

Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Avatars = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Profiles and User List = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration = CommunityBuilder
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Private Messaging = UddeIM
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Activity Notifications = None
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Access Control = Joomla

Have you tried these suggestions?
12 Jan 2012 01:27

I realise that I may seem to be a little obtuse, but I thought this topic was about some menu items missing - I don't know which menu items they are, but some menu items are missing is all we know - if a user logs in via the Kunena forum login form. I then saw (msg #9)

Agreed, my installation is having the same problem with the registration button. Please fix! Bug bug bug...

So I needed to investigate what is this registration button. Now you tell me that the whole form does not work: registration, password reminder, username reminder, login button, read me ... any of it. Somehow I don't think that's quite what you mean, but I want to be absolutely clear I understand what you are saying.

I am guessing that you are saying that, if you login via the Kunena login form on the forum - the picture shown in msg #14 - with a special account, you do not login at all. However, if you login using a normal account, you can login. Is that correct? Even if my understanding is still wrong, please allow me a bit more time to get my head around the problem. I haven't seen many cases of this before, so I'm not sure how to help at this time.
07 Jan 2012 01:25 - 07 Jan 2012 01:37
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

Thanks, CheechDogg, for that very interesting video about how to add extra fields to the Joomla registration process for J! 1.5 (which may be something appropriate to unleash.it). I watched that video and it's quite straightforward to see how one can add additional text values to a J! 1.5 installation. The process is quite different for J! 1.7/2.5.

Adding the requirement for a person to enter additional text information to a user's Joomla profile at the time a person registers with a website is, as I'm sure we'd all agree, considerably less complex than trying to allow the means to add/upload/store an image for integration with Kunena. In other words, how do we ensure that the act of registering also adds this information to the Kunena user profile or whenever the Kunena user profile is created/synched. However, the bare bones of the approach are there and it may be quite useful to this community to see how part of the process could be begun and later extended to meet the need.

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, the project team is considering possibilities for improving Kunena profile management features (either as a core component or as an optional add-on) in the longer term but these improvements will probably have to wait until K 3.0 or afterwards.
06 Jan 2012 12:08
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: K 1.7.1: How to setup CAPTCHA for registered users

Re: K 1.7.1: How to setup CAPTCHA for registered users

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

I am still puzzle why the CAPTCHA challenge box did not appear when I created an account ...

That is an entirely different subject. That has to do with the user registration procedure that is used on this website (it's a feature of JomSocial). Please read How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?
05 Jan 2012 03:17
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: How to set user options when profile = CB?

How to set user options when profile = CB?

G'day, Bobby, and welcome to Kunena.

We had a slightly similar discussion to this yesterday - Allowing Avatar selection on Registration . The upshot is that people don't realise how to edit their Community Builder user profile.

When you see your CB user profile, it should look something like this:

Click the link I've indicated in the above picture. Does this help?
04 Jan 2012 11:56 - 07 Jan 2012 01:28
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

The Kunena integration options (to use avatars, user profiles or other features of third-party Joomla extensions) are located on Forum Configuration » Integration. That's all there is.

How Community Builder uses those things is a matter for asking at Joomlapolis . I've answered to the extent of my knowledge. I'm not aware of any "avatar selection on registration" with Community Builder but, I must confess, I haven't looked into this area for my own site needs.

unleash.it wrote:

There is no way for a user to upload their avatar at a later time if they didn't do it during registration (because the avatar tab is now missing from the Kunena).

:huh: I'm puzzled by this. I've not seen that occur before. Users manage their profiles (including avatar images) with a CB user profile facility (unless you've removed the feature). It's all discussed in the CB installation guide.

For your sake, I will move this topic to our Community Builder category but, as I said from the outset, site registration is a Joomla business (assisted by third-party extensions, perhaps) and the Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla is where those Joomla issues are usually discussed.

I'm sorry but that's really as much as I can tell you.
Displaying 136 - 150 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 0.980 seconds