Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved Suggestion - move Report link to same area as other actions

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1 by GJSchaller
While working with the Beta and playing with the LESS for Crypsis, it occured to me that the UI felt cluttered - more so than it needed to be. I would like to suggest cleaning up some basic layout to keep it consistent and easier to use & style.

The main suggestion I can think of is to move the "Report to Moderator" link from its own line within the message body, to be a part of the same line / grouping as Quick Reply / Action / Thank You" - this keeps it consistent visually, keeps it easy to find, and is one less link to distract from the body of the message when reading.

Also, the combination of Reply and Quote into a menu is awkward - it's a menu for only 2 items. I would suggest breaking them out, or combining the other actions (Thank You, Report to Moderator) into the same menu.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by GJSchaller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #2 by GJSchaller
A mock up of my suggested layout:

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
The area (<DIV>) used by the report to moderator link is also shared with the IP address. So, while you say that (in your opinion) the template feels cluttered, you won't be saving any space if an admin or moderator* is viewing the site.

Another suggestion might be
Code:
#kunena a.report { float: right; }

What do you think?

_____
*The ability to see the IP address is controlled with a configuration setting, of course.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #4 by GJSchaller
My main concern is getting more data on the same vertical line, so that there is less scrolling, and less cruft between the body of the messages.

Moving the [Report] button and the IP Address to the same line under the message body would do the trick, you can float the IP to the right while keeping it inline with the buttons.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by GJSchaller.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled

GJSchaller wrote: My main concern is getting more data on the same vertical line, so that there is less scrolling, and less cruft between the body of the messages.

Well, to be fair, that's a criticism (rather than a bug) with the overall design of Crypsis. As you say, in the topic subject, you're only offering a suggestion.

In comparison with Blue Eagle (and many custom/third-party designs based around it), Crypsis generally occupies more screen real-estate. That's not a criticism, that's just stating a fact. Depending on what kind of Joomla/Bootstrap template and viewing device you're using, Crypsis can occupy markedly differing quantities of screen real-estate. I know what it's like to spend a couple of hours refining the line-height, the margin-top/bottom and padding attributes to reduce the physical effort involved in scrolling up/down in order to read through forum topics.

But, again to be fair, the issues you raise now were present from the beginning of K 4.0 Crypsis going back a couple of years.

Perhaps you're right; report-to-moderator feature takes up a bit too much space. It may be a good idea to hide it away—tuck it under the actions button. It's been difficult enough explaining to my own users where to find things like reply, edit, etc.; hiding another feature like report-to-moderator shouldn't be much of a further problem (because most members of my communities don't use it).
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by sozzled. Reason: iPad, iErrors, iSorry

More
7 years 10 months ago #6 by 810
I have moved them to a message button.

More
7 years 10 months ago #7 by GJSchaller
Thank you! Makes the layout MUCH cleaner.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
7 years 9 months ago #8 by GJSchaller
This helps, thank you.

Could the IP address be moved to the left of the Report This button, to also help save space?

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #9 by GJSchaller
Updated suggestion - move it up to where the Time Stamp is, to the left of the stamp. Less vertical space used up, and in the same area for moderation / post details.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by GJSchaller. Reason: Added Image

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds