Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved H1 Titles in Kunena!

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #11 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!

Josh wrote: As for the title tag, I wasn't excited about the words "TOPIC" being injected into the first word due to it potentially being considered redundant data. While I still believe it should be swapped out, for now you can override the language constant "COM_KUNENA_TOPIC" to have it say what you want it to.

I agree with you. Aside from the ugliness of capitalised words appearing in the SERPs, there are other facets of the way that Kunena (all versions) construct the page title.

I'm considering writing a plugin for Kunena that will address this matter (and other outstanding issues ) that the developers have not responded to. I'm thinking of calling the plugin "Meta for Kunena". With luck, I might even generate a couple of dollars from resolving this current deficiency. :lol:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #12 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!

sozzled wrote: Aside from the ugliness of capitalised words appearing in the SERPs

Finally someone commenting about the capitalized litters. :cheer: I too find it ugly and gives off the vibe of yelling.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Josh.

More
7 years 10 months ago #13 by sozzled

Josh wrote:

sozzled wrote: Aside from the ugliness of capitalised words appearing in the SERPs

Finally someone commenting about the capitalized litters. :cheer: I too find it ugly and gives off the vibe of yelling.

I've created a separate topic to discuss that (and other) issues: Meta for Kunena plugin

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #14 by romagromov
Replied by romagromov on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!

810 wrote: For the H1, i will add a template option, because else you get duplicated h1 tags, if you use a good joomla template with content. If you use only menu with forum then the h1 is missing yes. Will change this only on the topic page.

Index and recent will not be indexed by a crawler, there is no "new" content.

For Topic title, it should be like how it done it now. If you have a long subject, then you don't see any websitename. Thats bad for UX.

We have now: Forum name - topic title name - page number (if more pages)

Your forum does not sends notifications (I have subscribed) - so I missed replies.

As for your answer.
Every page should have H1 title - topic, category and index.
It's better to have two H1, than not to have at all.

When page have 2 H1 I know - issue in template. I can edit and forget about it.
But when I edit Kunena files - I should do it each time after update.

BTW, Index and recent always have updates. Especially recent.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vlezg1pvojda...-20%20at%2000.00.jpg

Next. About

We have now: Forum name - topic title name - page number (if more pages)

This is an absolute nonsense!!!

Title should displays as

Topic title name - Page number - Forum name (not necessary).

I already posted snippets of your forum.

This is your snippets:

This is normal snippets:

It is because of the thousands of webmasters are constantly doing this:

foobla.com/blog/change-kunena-page-title-for-better-seo

Best regards. :angry:

UPD.

When page have H1 , it can't have H3 without H2, and can't have H4 without H2 and H3. It's - RULE.

So, when we open category page (with crypsis) it should have:

<H1>Category Title </H1>

<H2>Each topic title</H2>

Then - any others H3, H4, H5 - it's inviolable rule.

The same applies to the names of the modules - never use H2, H3 and any H for module title. Use CSS!!!
H1, H2, H3 etc - it's only for content area!

Download Free Software for Windows absolutly free.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by romagromov.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled, Josh

More
7 years 10 months ago #15 by sozzled
I understand the points you've made, @romagromov, and I agree with you. The argument you've presented is perfectly sound (and the article you referred to confirms this , also).

Years ago—I'm talking 10-15 years ago—before the adoption of CSS as a means of separating the content from the presentation, HTML tags were used to display content using differently-sized fonts. The lower the number <Hn> the larger the font-size.

The point that the development team has forgotten about is that <Hn> tags are used these days by search engines to index the content. Therefore, this discussion is really about the SEO implications and that's what I think the developers have overlooked; the developers seem to be more concerned about the presentation (i.e., how the page looks on the screen).

This issue has been with K 4.0 Crypsis since the beginning (i.e. for the last three years). The question is whether the developers will rectify their mistake for K 4.0 and replace <H3> tags with <H1> (or <H2) or whether they will leave things as they are in the horrible mess as far as people who rely on K 4.0 for their businesses are concerned. That's a question that I don't think we'll really be able to resolve until the developers respond to the valid points made in this discussion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh

More
7 years 10 months ago #16 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!
i have changed it to:

Topic title name - Forum name

Same as vbulletin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh, romagromov

More
7 years 10 months ago #17 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!
Thank you!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Much appreciated.

More
7 years 10 months ago #18 by sozzled

810 wrote: I have changed it to:

Topic title name - Forum name

Same as vbulletin.

And you will release this in K 4.0.12?

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #19 by romagromov
Replied by romagromov on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!
I also found, that Crypsis generates Meta Tag Description from main site configuration.
So, all kunena pages have same Meta Tag Description :ohmy:
and keywords duplicated :S

Download Free Software for Windows absolutly free.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by romagromov.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #20 by loic
hello,

i would suggest to have meta keywords and description for subject like this :

<meta name="keywords" content="Topic title, category title, parent category title, forum name or site name ?" />

<meta name="description" content="beginning of the message texte... subject title" />
the texte and title have to be the one from the subject id in the url #... to avoid duplicate description

i would also suggest not to use the name "Category" or "Topic" in the beginning of content as it is used now

loïc
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by loic.

Time to create page: 0.621 seconds