Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved H1 Titles in Kunena!

More
7 years 9 months ago #1 by romagromov
I can't understand, why developers ignores the basic rules of SEO markup.
All Kunena templates do not meet the basic requirements of search engines.
I talking about H1 title in topic, category view and index page.
But most interesting is that the current forum Kunena have correct H1, H2 titles, but templates in packages like Crypsis
does not have H1 at all!

Download Free Software for Windows absolutly free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh, ChaosHead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by romagromov
Replied by romagromov on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!
Same question with kunena page titles.

Thousands webmaster after each update forced to edit page title with:

Topic Title - Forum Name, because they don't want snippets like yours!!!

Download Free Software for Windows absolutly free.

More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!
Excellent catch! I see Blue Eagle used an H1 tag for the title (which is the best way to go). I see now that K5 swapped it to H3 tags which is not that great for SEO. I highly recommend that it be swapped back to H1 due to it's importance for SEO.

As for the title tag, I wasn't excited about the words "TOPIC" being injected into the first word due to it potentially being considered redundant data. While I still believe it should be swapped out, for now you can override the language constant "COM_KUNENA_TOPIC" to have it say what you want it to.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!
For the H1, i will add a template option, because else you get duplicated h1 tags, if you use a good joomla template with content. If you use only menu with forum then the h1 is missing yes. Will change this only on the topic page.

Index and recent will not be indexed by a crawler, there is no "new" content.

For Topic title, it should be like how it done it now. If you have a long subject, then you don't see any websitename. Thats bad for UX.

We have now: Forum name - topic title name - page number (if more pages)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loic

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #5 by loic
Hello,

i agree with the template option for H1

can i also suggest some improvements for meta keywords and description :

www.kunena.org/forum/k-4-0-general-quest...n-improvement#172611

thanks in advance
Loïc
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by loic.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #6 by Josh

810 wrote: For the H1, i will add a template option, because else you get duplicated h1 tags, if you use a good joomla template with content.

The only case that you get a duplicate is if you put one in "Browser Page Title". Personally I feel this is silly (inserting a "Browser Page Title" into the menu item) due to the breadcrumbs already mentioning that it's a forum as well as the HTML title. However I understand that some do this.

810 wrote: If you use only menu with forum then the h1 is missing yes. Will change this only on the topic page.

This is how most of us do it (missing H1 due to expecting it from the topic title). If we wanted to skip having to create another option we could have a conditional statement check to see if there is a "Browser Page Title" in the menu item, if it does not exist it could generate an H1. I wouldn't mind having the option method of swapping the H2 to H1, however a conditional statement would prevent the need for an option.

810 wrote: Index and recent will not be indexed by a crawler, there is no "new" content.

I don't understand why there wouldn't be "new content"? The H1 on the recent page would purely tell search engines that it's a page for new topics. Not that helpful for you as the webmaster, but is good for integrity reasons in being relevant in the search engine.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Josh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romagromov

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!

Josh wrote: Excellent catch! I see Blue Eagle used an H1 tag for the title (which is the best way to go).

This is really important. It's probably one of the biggest issues that's never been actually understood before, because the place where Kunena is developed does not use Crypsis!

I have stayed clear of K 5.0 topics because I can see there is much work to be done before K 5.0 is stable. I am commenting here because this is a K 4.0 matter and I'm concerned that it—as will the rest of the community who depend on K 4.0 for their businesses—will be forgotten.

For three years now it's been difficult to see how Crypsis actually works in real life without installing it on our own sites. Over this time the developers have been trying to market the new template and they've been unsuccessful; that's not being unkind, that's just stating a fact.

The simple point is this: Blue Eagle (and third-party templates derived from it), for all the "bad things" that it incorporates, is used by 95% of all Kunena users. Why is that the case? It's because Crypsis is almost unknown outside of the 5% of people who are using it. It's because new users of Kunena see Blue Eagle on the developers' site and they'll believe that's what they should use, too. And, if they don't like what they see, they'll use a third-party template (and all of those are based on Blue Eagle).

The new-found interest in Crypsis is simply because of the interest in K 5.0.

I understand that some people will disagree with my comments but I would like us to have a serious discussion about the problems we see in K 4.0 Crypsis: problems, I feel, will never be addressed. The Crypsis template, in its current form, is virtually unusable in a busy forum. Notice that I started a topic earlier today about one of those problems. I would be surprised if anything I write about K 4.0 gets much attention these days.

K 4.0 Crypsis uses H3 tags. That's a fact. It's not good for SEO and it's not good for our businesses.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh

More
7 years 9 months ago #8 by Josh
As of K5 I've actually been pretty impressed with Crypsis. It's a cleaner interface that feels less overwhelming to the user. However there are a handful UX hoops that should be addressed eventually. The reply button for example is now a bit more hidden. With how far Jquery and such as gone, combining the reply and quick reply into a single action would be a great improvement. This would make it so the primary reply is not hidden and would be faster for the user (reload not required). Facebook sorta does this right now (Kunena has a lot more options in the main editor).

Crypsis requires that the template have all the appropriate bootstrap CSS loaded, in my case I haven't migrated everything into the template (it's custom built). As a result Blue Eagle is still the safe choice. Fortunately for me I like Crypsis, so it will be worth making the necessary changes to make it compatible visually.

There have been rumors of the Kunena site upgrading eventually (I still believe it will happen, but probably by late summer due to keeping up with K5). When the site is upgraded, I'm assuming the forum will be as well. When this happens we will see a shift in the perceived default.

The topics should at the minimum use an H2 for the topic titles (instead of H3), H1 of course is much better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled, ChaosHead

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #9 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic H1 Titles in Kunena!

Josh wrote: As of K5 I've actually been pretty impressed with Crypsis.

All fairly true, I guess. I'm waiting for K 5.0 to stabilise before I use it.

This topic, however, is in the K 4.0 General Questions category and it relates to K 4.0. The UI/UX in K 5.0 is not dissimilar, by the way, and I think that point may have been overlooked. Many of the issues you refer to in your assessment of K 5.0 are equally valid as far as K 4.0 is concerned.

=== off-topic ===
There have been rumours about overhauling K.org for a long time. The latest I heard is that the new site design bears no resemblance to what you may have seen/heard 8 months ago. There has already been a shift in perception about Kunena in the past 18 months, but it's probably not we've been hoping for; it's a different subject for a different forum. ;)
=== end off-topic ===

Back on topic, if there is a change required to convert H3s to H1s (or H2s), the question remains whether this will be done in a future version of K 4.0? This also begs the question whether there will even be any future releases after K 4.0.11.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #10 by Josh

sozzled wrote: Back on topic, if there is a change required to convert H3s to H1s (or H2s), the question remains whether this will be done in a future version of K 4.0? This also begs the question whether there will even be any future releases after K 4.0.11.

As long as K4 is supported, I'm guessing it will be maintained in the sense of maintaining compatibility with Joomla 3, security fixes, and potentially small additions to the template. As with most software releases, new features are focused on the new version. I wonder if the K5 Crypsis template could be copied over to K4 followed by only using the xml file of K4 so that only the supported options show. Would be fun to test when K5 is stable. Even with software such as PHP and Joomla you usually don't see more features added after a major release until the next major release. EasySocial is one of the exceptions to this. :cheer:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Josh.

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds