Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Merged Sometimes users get: "You do not have permissions to access this page"

More
11 years 7 months ago #31 by chrustik
The old emotions I transfered to media/kunena/... and it works well.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 20M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : fishnew | author: PC-DIDI | version: 1.1 | creationdate: 2009-05-19

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.2 | creationdate: 2012-09-02

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.2 | 2012-09-02 [ Botschafter ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 2.8

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Content - Kunena Discuss 2.0.2

Modules: Kunena Latest 2.0.2 | Kunena Login 2.0.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #32 by sozzled
Maszek: I understand what you are saying (about the plethora of configuration settings). But, when you consider, that Kunena works immediately if you make no changes at all, it's not that difficult to set everything back to the original settings and then you can forget about the "extras".

The difficulty is that while there are people who do not need all of the additional extras we have been untiringly requested by many others who have requested even more additional extras. Therefore, the problem is to find a happy medium between a "basic" web-based discussion forum and one that is more "advanced". I'm sure you appreciate the difficult position that this puts us in.

This forum is a community-driven, self-help resource. As far as possible, we encourage everyone in the community to help one another. Obviously - and as you already know - there is no company behind Kunena; everyone who contributes to Kunena is a hobbyist, enthusiast or professional web developer who gives their time freely to this project - volunteers every one of us. Our hope is to make Kunena the most reliable, scalable, durable and robust forum component for Joomla that we can make it and to give people the best solution to meeting their forum needs. The forum is a self-help community-driven resource for users to help one another. Our job, in moderating the forum, is not necessarily to answer every question but, rather, to point people in the right direction where they can find the answers.

Because Kunena is a free product - free to download, freely distributed under the terms of the GPL licence - and open source, this means that we will always try to do our best to resolve genuine, identifiable and reproducible issues so that the whole community benefits ... not just the few people who may experience problems from time to time. But, sometimes, this is not always easy to achieve. As I have mentioned on previous occasions, unique problems require unique solutions.

We have not seen this issue here at www.kunena.org . If someone does find an issue here then we will investigate the cause. This basically means that we are satisfied that K 2.0.2 is a reliable product that should work every time straight "out of the box". But we also recognise that many people do not want a vanilla-flavoured website like everyone else's and that's what the community is here to help with: help others who want to use Kunena that benefits us all.

Please do not doubt my sincerity or my understanding of your problem. Joomla is not 3-mouseclicks-and-hey-presto-I-have-a-website. I have invested hundreds of hours learning how things work. Not everyone has the luxury of time that I have. But, for those who are hard-pressed for time, there are always other alternatives.

Perhaps Kunena is not for you? I would be disappointed if that was the only conclusion but it's one I think we can all accept. We're doing our best but our time is limited too. :)
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago #33 by chrustik
I think I fixed the trouble with "You do not have permmisions to this page". Now this messgae do not showing. In .htaccess file I include this line: AddDefaultCharset utf-8
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #34 by Maszek
Hi Sozzled,

The only reason why I even bothered to post my problem here is to give the developers an opportunity to learn from users of their product and effort.

I fully appreciate the expectations related with a free of charge product. In general, it requires additional effort and I do that with the same enthusiasm as many others here do (and to beat the corporates, to remain independent, or just 'to speak'!). This is hard enough, since most followers of my website prefer to vent their opinions on Facebook. Quite a competition to deal with.

I am not going to change to another forum, since migrating to anything else is bound to give me real headaches.
I can get over the disappointment of losing a topic, I find it more troubling that the system is not 'robust' enough to help site administrators avoid getting into such issues. This is the underlying concern for me.

Meanwhile, I've managed to re-open the topic by selecting the topic in the front end, choose action-->approve selected. It contained two posts, the latter of which was restored, the first one isn't visible in the front end at all. Strange enough, the post is visible in the sql database and the file referred to in the first post is present on the server.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Maszek.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #35 by sozzled

Maszek wrote: I've managed to re-open the forum by selecting the topic in the front end, choose action-->approve selected. It contained two posts, the latter of which was restored, the first one isn't visible in the front end at all. Strange enough, the post is visible in the sql database and the file referred to in the first post is present on the server.

So this explains the reason why "you do not have permissions to access this page"! Eureka! People were trying to access a topic that was awaiting your approval.

There you go! A perfectly logical explanation for everything. Nothing non-robust about this at all. It shows that the system is working perfectly! :)

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #36 by Maszek
I'd say half perfectly, because not all posts in the topic were recovered. The question why this has happened to old posts that were already open to visitors remains unanswered as well.

Other than that, wouldn't it make sense to have a (system) notification for visitors to a post which has access denied that "This post needs to be approved by the moderator!"?

It would have prevented me writing at least four post in this thread.

Another thing for your wish list, perhaps!

More
11 years 7 months ago #37 by sozzled

Maszek wrote: I'd say half perfectly, because not all posts in the topic were recovered. The question why this has happened to old posts that were already open to visitors remains unanswered as well.

What do you mean "old" posts? Are you talking about unapproved messages from, say, an earlier version of Kunena? What I think you are saying is that, perhaps, there was a database corruption somewhere along the line. This may, also, be a possible reason for generating the less than helpful "you do not have permissions to access this page" issue. Something else to consider.

Maszek wrote: Other than that, wouldn't it make sense to have a (system) notification for visitors to a post which has access denied that "This post needs to be approved by the moderator!"?

Well now you know what you have to do. I guess you have to be more vigilant in approving messages.

Again, the reason why this situation has occurred is because the category involved in this situation uses Review Posts = Yes (whereas the default value is Review Posts = No). When people use this setting it means that messages are unavailable, they're not accessible, no-one has permission to access the messages until they are approved by a moderator. However, I have a question in reply (because I have not experimented with this setting in K 2.0.2). If you have a topic in a category where you use "Review Posts = Yes" and you have not approved a reply in that topic, does this mean that anyone trying to access the topic (or the page on the topic where there is the yet-to-be-approved message) will get "you do not have permissions to access this page"?

Maszek wrote: It would have prevented me writing at least four post in this thread.

See my question above. Answering my question will help me understand your comment. You may have discovered something that the Kunena developers were not aware of.

More
11 years 7 months ago #38 by Maszek

sozzled wrote: What do you mean "old" posts? Are you talking about unapproved messages from, say, an earlier version of Kunena?

I was referring to approved messages from an earlier version of Kunena.

What I think you are saying is that, perhaps, there was a database corruption somewhere along the line. This may, also, be a possible reason for generating the less than helpful "you do not have permissions to access this page" issue. Something else to consider.

It seems we're getting to the core of this, if not the bottom!

Well now you know what you have to do. I guess you have to be more vigilant in approving messages.

With new posts, I can always see when the status is "unapproved". When I log in as administrator under tab "Recent topics" a list of posts marked marine blue background appears. The old posts we're discussing above never appeared in such a list, which is why I wasn't alerted to approve them.

Again, the reason why this situation has occurred is because the category involved in this situation uses Review Posts = Yes (whereas the default value is Review Posts = No).

I am very happy having this option, since it is the ultimate defence against spambots!

When people use this setting it means that messages are unavailable, they're not accessible, no-one has permission to access the messages until they are approved by a moderator.

I think it means that posts are invisible--as if they don't exist to the unregistered visitors or registered members (not even the person who posted it).

However, I have a question in reply (because I have not experimented with this setting in K 2.0.2). If you have a topic in a category where you use "Review Posts = Yes" and you have not approved a reply in that topic, does this mean that anyone trying to access the topic (or the page on the topic where there is the yet-to-be-approved message) will get "you do not have permissions to access this page"?

Okay, I created an account for a new user, because I know Kunena has different policies for administrators (such as use of reCaptcha).

I posted a new topic as Maszek
[IMG

I logged off and logged back in as the same user (Maszek). The message is not visible:
[IMG

I logged off again and logged in as my girl friend (she willingly shared her password with me):
[IMG

For her, it's as if the topic does not exist either.

I logged off once more and logged in as admin:
[IMG

You can guess what happens after I approve it: it becomes visible to anyone.

See my question above. Answering my question will help me understand your comment. You may have discovered something that the Kunena developers were not aware of.

Hah! at first I was going to answer that I'm not cheap and it costs $ 50.- to get my answer. Then I thought: "why not help the K-ommunity a step forward?" Hopefully this is an asnwer to your question.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #39 by sozzled
Yes, but in the images you posted, there was no "you do not have permissions to access this page".

I accept that there may have been an issue with "old" messages - messages that may or may not been approved - being in the database at the time when you upgraded from an older version of Kunena (before K 2.0) to K 2.0.x. These things happen and I think that's something we all have to accept. The ultimate mechanism to progress software anomalies arising from badly-formed data is, as we all know, to change the data. We receive queries like yours often; within a self-help forum context there is little we can do except wave a finger in the general direction of the database and hope for the best. Obviously, if these issues are critical and someone really requires prompt, professional, attention to the problem then one also has to accept that prompt, professional, one-on-one attention to such problems comes at a premium price, too. :)

I agree with you that Review Posts = Yes is the ultimate defence against spam. There is also a new feature in K 2.0:

Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Moderate New Users

Have you tried it? In effect, by apply this setting (changing the value to a non-zero positive number) the first n messages posted by a new user will all be subject to moderation review. This also means that, for example, if you set the value to 1 (and someone posts 600 messages before you have approved the first one), none of a new user's messages will appear on your forum until you have approved the number you set. We are considering using this feature here, ourselves, at K.org.

Getting back to the topic: I really need to know the answer to this question:

Let's say we have a topic in a category where you use "Review Posts = Yes" with more than one message already posted, approved, and visible. Let's say, for argument's sake you have 35 replies in it. Now someone else posts a reply into that topic. What I want to know is this: What happens when other people try to access the other 35 posts? Do they get the message "you do not have permissions to access this page" on every page in that topic? Do you understand my question?

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #40 by Maszek

sozzled wrote: Yes, but in the images you posted, there was no "you do not have permissions to access this page".

Indeed, there wasn't. In my humble opinion, that was an anomaly. I have no explanation for it. No one has.

I accept that there may have been an issue with "old" messages - messages that may or may not been approved - being in the database at the time when you upgraded from an older version of Kunena (before K 2.0) to K 2.0.x. These things happen and I think that's something we all have to accept. The ultimate mechanism to progress software anomalies arising from badly-formed data is, as we all know, to change the data.

...and being open to user feed back, I guess!

We receive queries like yours often; within a self-help forum context there is little we can do except wave a finger in the general direction of the database and hope for the best. Obviously, if these issues are critical and someone really requires prompt, professional, attention to the problem then one also has to accept that prompt, professional, one-on-one attention to such problems comes at a premium price, too. :)

If it has to be, yes. I could imagine some sort of a 'no cure, less pay' agreement, in such cases though.

I agree with you that Review Posts = Yes is the ultimate defence against spam. There is also a new feature in K 2.0:

Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Moderate New Users

Have you tried it? In effect, by apply this setting (changing the value to a non-zero positive number) the first n messages posted by a new user will all be subject to moderation review. This also means that, for example, if you set the value to 1 (and someone posts 600 messages before you have approved the first one), none of a new user's messages will appear on your forum until you have approved the number you set. We are considering using this feature here, ourselves, at K.org.

I haven't tried it. I seeked refuge in using Stopforumspam combined with the Fly06 plugin as a defence against spambots--in combination with reCaptcha. I was under siege of spambots until I installed/activated these features. Now the spambot traffic is reduced to a handful of blocked users per day (they are my " schadenfreude ").
Regarding the feature, I understand the rationale behind it, but in my experience, spambots only post one topic per user. I am wondering what the added value is of having the possibility to approve the first post of a user as a 'gatekeeper' for many other posts of the same user. I would assume it fences off real (mal-intended) users rather than spambots--which are operated by machines.
We are getting side tracked, indeed.

Getting back to the topic: I really need to know the answer to this question:

Let's say we have a topic in a category where you use "Review Posts = Yes" with more than one message already posted, approved, and visible. Let's say, for argument's sake you have 35 replies in it. Now someone else posts a reply into that topic. What I want to know is this: What happens when other people try to access the other 35 posts? Do they get the message "you do not have permissions to access this page" on every page in that topic? Do you understand my question?

The category and all the previously approved posts remain perfectly visible. At least in my forum (and apart from the unexplained anomaly referred to above).

Time to create page: 0.631 seconds