Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Merged K 3.0 buttons display constant names

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #1 by chrishirst
Upgraded to Joomla! 2.5.11 and upgraded Kunena to V3 and the buttons are showing the contstant name rather than the value.

Switched templates to Blue Eagle 2.0 with no change.

Screen shot of buttons

Config Report

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 2M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : beez_20 | author: Angie Radtke | version: 2.5.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.0 | creationdate: 2013-05-15

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.0 | 2013-05-15 [ Wanga ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 2.6

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Content - Kunena Discuss 3.0.0

Modules: None

Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by chrishirst.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
I suspect that the non-translation of the symbolic names was caused by a botched installation or you have not added the necessary non-English language transactions for your website. Did you look at the language pack options for K 3.0?

This case my be similar to one we dealt with a long time ago, here: www.kunena.org/forum/K-2-0-Support-Archi...with-no-title#127243
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 9 months ago #3 by chrishirst
The upgrade installation reported as completing successfully and I was rather hoping for a reinstall to be a last resort effort, but hey ho!

More
10 years 9 months ago #4 by chrishirst
Ok removal and reinstall of V3 done --- No change, and it doesn't allow a roll-back to V2.

Any clues to where I can start fixing it manually?

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled

chrishirst wrote: ... it doesn't allow a roll-back to [K 2.0.4]

That is not entirely correct. The K 3.0 Upgrade Guide - I assume that you read it - explains how to roll-back to K 2.0 (and retain any messages posted on your forum) providing you did not uninistall Kunena before you attempt to downgrade from K 3.0 to K 2.0. Uninstalling Kunena will remove all evidence of Kunena from your website (including any configuration, categories or topics that may have been posted on it).

This is why the K 3.0 Upgrade Guide and the notes in the K 3.0.0 Read Me make the important point about the need to take a backup of your website before you upgrade. If you have a reliable backup of your website, taken before you attempted the K 2.0.x to K 3.0.0 upgrade, you can always revert to the way your site was operating before you attempted (and possibly failed) with an upgrade. This advice is the same when you do any install or upgrade of any Joomla extension your website. Good preparation is the watchword when doing any software installation or upgrade.

While the K 3.0 upgrade process is normally reliable (and I have to say that I have used the process many hundreds of times and I have never encountered any problems), no-one can make any guarantees and it would be reckless of us to suggest that the process is guaranteed 100% of the time or that the process has a 0% risk of failure.

The process of installing (or upgrading) and operating Kunena in a multi-lingual website is complicated. I admit that I have no experience in these matters. Perhaps other members of the community, who have a broader experience may have their own thoughts, who may be able to shed some light on the problems that you have had.

Joomla is also complicated. Sometimes Joomla gets itself into a knot when an upgrade goes awry and sometimes it requires detailed understanding of how Joomla processes extension upgrades (and where the information about these upgrades is stored) to unravel issues that may arise when something goes pear-shaped. This area is outside the scope of what we can handle in a simple (or even in a dedicated, one-on-one support) way via a web-based discussion forum.

chrishirst wrote: Any clues to where I can start fixing it manually?

There are always ways that people, who understand the internals of website management, of database management and of Joomla internals, can do things "manually"; obviously the answer depends on the know-how, the skill, the patience, the time and, perhaps, the amount of money that you have to work through the issues. It is unfortunate that sometimes things don't always work as well as we would hope they should work (and you should know that our thoughts are with you that you will resolve things as quickly as possible) but, although the question is easy to ask, the answer is difficult to prescribe in each and every case.

The first place that I would suggest you start is to create a test site on the same server where you are now hosting your [broken] website. Start with the basics:
  1. J! 2.5.11
  2. The basic Joomla template (e.g. Beez)
  3. Joomla SEO enabled and a valid .htaccess file
  4. A reliable backup tool (e.g. Akeeba Backup)
  5. K 3.0.0 with no changes made to it. In other words, Kunena "out-of-the-box"
... and see how this works.

If, as I suspect, the test site works then you can add extra things (like other languages) until things "break". That's my suggestion and I hope that this may be a way to identify what happened that caused the problems that you are now having.

More
10 years 9 months ago #6 by chrishirst

There are always ways that people, who understand the internals of website management, of database management and of Joomla internals, can do things "manually"

Yes and being one of those people is why I asked the question.

I would prefer not to have to 'reverse engineer' the entire code obviously.

That is not entirely correct. The K 3.0 Upgrade Guide - I assume that you read it - explains how to roll-back to K 2.0 (and retain any messages posted on your forum) providing you did not uninistall Kunena before you attempt to downgrade from K 3.0 to K 2.0

Did that, that's when I got the "It is not possible to downgrade ..." message.

More
10 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled
Before I suggest that you and I spend possibly several hours on Skype trying to figure out which way the train went by looking at the tracks :lol: can you restore your site to the way it was before you attempted to upgrade to K 3.0?

More
10 years 9 months ago #8 by samofcary
I have the same issue.

I upgraded Joomla from 1.5 to 2.5, and Kunena to 3.0. Upgrade was successful and I got the above error.

I uninstalled and reinstalled kunena 3.0 and the issue persists. I see that the language files are present (en_GB). I will dig into code and see if I can figure out something.

PS: This is on my local machine and I can avoid upgrading to 3.0 on my site until this issue is resolved.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #9 by sozzled
G'day, samifcary, and welcome to the forum.

I am pleased that we are having this discussion and I hope that, with more people contributing to it, we will find the cause and resolve the problem for everyone's benefit. It is for this reason that I am keeping the topic in the Kunena 3.0 Support (reporting defects) category because I am not wholly convinced that K 3.0 is not defective (in some way) in this area.

samofcary wrote: I have the same issue. I [migrated] Joomla from 1.5 to 2.5, and Kunena to 3.0.

I wonder if this was what happened in chishirst's case? Perhaps there was something that went wrong in the migration from J! 1.5 to J! 2.5 in both cases? :unsure:

If these two cases are similar then it would assist us all to know in what areas they are similar. Even though in your case you are trialling K 3.0 on a test server platform, your configuration report may be of some assistance.

It may be that these two cases (and I am sure there are other similar cases that have not been reported by other members of the community) have something in common. But, without seeing your configuration report, we have no other way of knowing what these two cases have in common except for the statement I have the same problem ...

More
10 years 9 months ago #10 by sozzled
*** Possibly off-topic ***

chrishirst: This may or may not be relevant (but I always feel it's best to eliminate any possible sources of interference):

Look at your Kunena integration settings and disable those plugins that you do not require. In your case you have enabled the plugins for Community Builder, Gravatar, AlphaUserPoints and JomSocial but there is no evidence from your configuration report that you have the prerequisite software installed for these things. If you don't have the requisite software then you don't need the plugins.

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds