Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Merged Phpbb 3.0.1.0. to Kunena 2.0

More
11 years 7 months ago #21 by mwolf
Replied by mwolf on topic Phpbb 3.0.1.0. to Kunena 2.0
well
this is working
but I hope you make an official phpbb3>kunena 2.01 importer since people do not like to do this, and of course after import you need to edit all categories, and to set up access for each group / groups

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #22 by Lantern
I hope also that a converter will be launched asap :) eager to convert ;)

More
11 years 7 months ago #23 by Elnablo
2 Months ago conversion was a work in progress but unfortuanately that's the last message from the developer. I have [strike]patiently[/strike] waited 8 weeks and allas, no news about the converter.

More
11 years 7 months ago #24 by jpl1.618
It would be nice if the developer would at least provide an update so user's can make/finalize plans. At this point, I'm considering other forum solutions.

More
11 years 7 months ago #25 by sozzled
It would be nice, wouldn't it?

The development team has a large body of work to complete. This activity, while important to some, is not highest on the list of priorities. If people would like the priorities shifted around, then we welcome offers of assistance from anyone in the community. There are many ways that people can help.

More
11 years 7 months ago #26 by mwolf
As I said it before, there is a way but it is not a proper way, so if you are in the hurry or you have short deadline you can do what I did (posts above)
on my first post you can see that I have even attachemnts, I was supprised when I saw that even that is migrated, only thing I saw that is not migrated was global anoucments in phpbb3
but since I had only 2 of them ...
and ofcourse private messages is immposible since kunena do not have PM system but uddeIM PMS is in some ways ma by even better than PhpBB3 PM system :), maby only if they find a way to implement a link to kunena login module that will be even better.
Kunena is a way to go with joomla

great job you done with kunena 2.0

ofcourse when you find a time, please make a official migrator, I know that you have a bunch of priorities first but please do not forget about this one.

More
11 years 7 months ago #27 by Talkdoc

sozzled wrote: It would be nice, wouldn't it?

The development team has a large body of work to complete. This activity, while important to some, is not highest on the list of priorities. If people would like the priorities shifted around, then we welcome offers of assistance from anyone in the community. There are many ways that people can help.

So how do we help? Sign me up.

Now that RocketTheme has abandoned its RokBridge extension and will not be officially releasing any further versions of it beyond 1.5, I need to find a permanent solution. Kunena appears to be it.

I am surprised to read that development of the phpbb3 to Kunena importer is not a priority as, in my mind, this suggests that most new users of Kunena are starting new boards (and perhaps that is true). Intuitively, as phpbb is considerably older than Kunena, I would have guessed that most users, such as myself, would be moving established forums from phpbb3 to Kunena.

I will try the stepwise upgrade procedure recommended by mwolf but if there is anything I can do to expedite development of the 2.0 importer, please let me (and us) know.

Thanks much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katannah

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #28 by sozzled

Talkdoc wrote: I am surprised to read that development of the phpbb3 to Kunena importer is not a priority ...

No-one is offering to sponsor the money to pay for the development. Everyone expects that someone else will do this for free. Sorry, this just isn't going to happen like that any more.

Talkdoc wrote: ... this suggests that most new users of Kunena are starting new boards (and perhaps that is true).

I cannot comment beyond what I have already written in I want to migrate my forum to Kunena ...

Talkdoc wrote: I would have guessed that most users, such as myself, would be moving established forums from phpbb3 to Kunena.

It's not all that difficult to do the migration if you have a solid understanding of Joomla and SQL. The difficulty is in producing a one-size-fits-all solution. phpBB3 has its usefulness and its limitations; so does, for that matter, any web-based discussion forum. The decision for website owners (and the communities that they're helping) is to make the step from one forum environment as easy as possible in going to a different forum environment. There will be those who welcome the change - and the new challenges that change brings - as well as those who will resist the change and not be willing to take on the challenge.

My contribution to this topic is not to give technical advice as, so much, it is to offer a few solid facts about the development environment.

This task needs funding. There is no funding for this task. Therefore, this task is low on the priority of tasks to be done.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago #29 by Elnablo
This does not quite jive with what Matias wrote a few months back.
"I would wait for the migrate tool to upgrade to K2.0. It will offer better import and I'm starting to work on it once I've recovered from K2.0 release :)"

Kind of confusing as I have patiently waited after Matias post.

What kind of "funding" are we talking about? My page is just for fun and I don't get any funding. So I can't afford to pay much. I can't help because my knowledge of SQL etc. is just to basic.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #30 by mwolf
ok
As I see this migrator is going to be payed if someone need it, but since most of us are non profit communityies it will be hard to rais cash.

The thing is there is some succesfull (more or less) bridges for joomla and phpbb3
the administator need to make judgement call what he want, as you mentioned there will be people who will like the change and some who do not like any changes because they are just used to old system.

Kunena in some ways is better than phpbb3, some things are diferent and that could be the problem in decideing what to do, system premmision is just to different, it could be pain in the ... but when you know what you want it is possible.

I have severall different groups which need to have seperate premmisons, to view and write on some part of the boards.
As I said there could be a problem with doing some stuff in different way.

Well I realy do not know anything in doing some programing but I think I am doing ok with this knowlege I have.

There is some stuff I would like to have in kunena but ma by it is more joomla than kunena related.

Well keep up the good work

I am willing too help in my free time as much as I can. (thats a way to learn something new :) )

edit:
One of the reasons people need to go to kunena is mysql database, in phpbb3 it was big as almost 150 mb, joomla+kunena+components+mods... is almost 1/3 of that
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by mwolf. Reason: I forgot to write something

Time to create page: 0.679 seconds