Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Merged Phpbb 3.0.1.0. to Kunena 2.0

More
11 years 7 months ago #31 by Talkdoc

sozzled wrote: It's not all that difficult to do the migration if you have a solid understanding of Joomla and SQL.

I do have such an understanding.

I think what I need to do is install Kunena locally (via xampp) and take a close look at the SQL tables and fields. You're suggesting that data (not structure) can be exported from phpbb3 tables and then imported or even copied and pasted into comparable tables in Kunena.

Okay, I'll take a look and report back.

As for the cost of development, why not take up a collection for specific projects such as, in this case, a phpbb3 to Kunena 2.0 importer? I would be happy to contribute 25 or 30 dollars to the cause.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #32 by sozzled
Everyone is cash-strapped. Everyone has funding problems. Nothing is impossible but everything has a cost. The Kunena Project is strapped for resources, too.

There are four solutions to the problem of converting from phpBB3 to K 2.0:
  1. Do nothing. Leave your old phpBB3 forum behind and tell your members that you're now using Kunena.
  2. Do the conversion yourself. There are three areas that you need to work through and I will discuss them later in this reply to you.
  3. Pay someone else to do the conversion for you. Typically, a skilled professional could probably do this work in less than 10 hours and, at $50 per hour, that's $500.
  4. Wait for the Kunena Project to develop a "universal phpBB3-to-Kunena conversion tool".

These are the areas affected when converting any forum component to Kunena:
  • User tables
  • Kunena SQL tables
  • Files uploaded by the users as forum attachments.

These are the issues confronting any forum conversion whether the conversion is done by hand or whether it's done in an automated manner.

I do not know how much work is involved in writing an automated conversion/migration tool to accommodate this need; it could take a day or it could take a week or more. However long this development activity takes, the tool needs to be tested. These things take time and, while people are devoting their time working on this activity, where is the return on the investment of that time? At a notional rate of $50 per hour to do the development and testing, I will let other people try to estimate the cost involved in doing this work and decide, for themselves, what would constitute a fair and reasonable price for a finished product that people could use to convert their existing phpBB3 forum to Kunena. Just something else to consider.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metaltome, sheyd

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #33 by sgames
hi everybody.
i have new website in joomla 2.5.7 and phpBB3 phorum with many posts and users.
i need import this posts into kunena.
on wiki is something with fireboard, but this is for old phorum and joomla :(

any ideas how to in latest joomla+phpbb+kunena ?

edit : sory, i search phorum and www.kunena.org/forum/K-2-0-General-Quest...ena-2-0?limitstart=0
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sgames.

More
11 years 6 months ago #34 by sozzled

More
11 years 5 months ago #35 by metaltome
Any news on the migration tool? I'm also in need of moving from phpBB3.* to Kunena 2.*

Thought I would ask, as this is the newest thread regarding migration that I've been able to find. Thanks :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #36 by Jiminimonka
The migration tool for Kunena 1.7 can be downloaded from here .

The suggested pathway is to migrate from phpBB to Kunena 1.7 and then upgrade Kunena to 2.0.2.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
11 years 5 months ago #37 by milos
Replied by milos on topic Phpbb 3.0.1.0. to Kunena 2.0
This way works, I migrated phpbb forum to Kunena 2.0 in this way two weeks ago. The only what is not migrated is the number of hits of the particular topics in the phpbb forum. Some additional script for this would be useful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katannah

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #38 by Elnablo
Since I didn't want to wait any longer, I did use the migration tool 1.7.

Using WAMP and AKEEBA I set up a virtual page and it did work eventually. It took a couple of tries for it to work, but now is up and running. First couple of tries, the users and the messages didn't sync just right.

A new version of the importer would have been a lot easier...
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Elnablo.

More
11 years 5 months ago #39 by Jiminimonka

Elnablo wrote: Since I didn't want to wait any longer, I did use the migration tool 1.7.

Using WAMP and AKEEBA I set up a virtual page and it did work eventually. It took a couple of tries for it to work, but now is up and running. First couple of tries, the users and the messages didn't sync just right.

A new version of the importer would have been a lot easier...

A new version will come, but there are higher priorities, such as fixing bugs and getting Kunena ready for Joomla 3, the new template etc. As all the work done is by volunteers, they have to juggle with full time jobs, family and other commitments. If you want to assist, please click on the Donate button on the right of the forums.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #40 by carryblk
I recently migrated over to Kunena - used *** advertising link removed by moderator *** for migration - and it worked out better than I expected. What attracted me is the procedure is easy - like software installation, so basic my mom could have coped (ok, that's probably an exaggeration, but you understand what I mean). I had to pay for the conversion, but I am sure it's worth every cent.

** Please do not advertise commercial services on Kunena.org **
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Jiminimonka.

Time to create page: 0.599 seconds