Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Kunena 1.6 - a moderator's view

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #121 by sozzled
G'day, inphx, and welcome to the forum.

Good question: "I'm starting a brand new forum. Any harm in using 1.6 for my live site?"

Simple answer: There would be no harm at all, if you know what you are doing, if you don't strike any problems and if you're prepared to live with the possibility that you might encounter operational problems down-the-track that can't be solved without engaging expert assistance that you might have to pay for.

K 1.6 alpha has not been released into the public domain, yet. There is a team of people who are continuing to test the product and making sure that the whole installation package works seamlessly.

K 1.6 is already in operational use on live websites around the world today. These sites are maintained by support agreements with the development team. The flow-on of these activities are the benefits available to everyone, for free, of the long hours of effort that went into building K 1.6.

It is absolutely vital that people understand the warning to not use development versions of software on operational websites (this goes for all software, not just Kunena). This warning is issues not only because there is usually no support for when you encounter problems; development versions may have hidden problems that may affect the ability to upgrade the product later. If people have an urgent need to use development versions, that's OK, as long as they're aware of the risks they take and the cost involved in resolving those problems and, by cost, I'm not talking about the lost hours trying to solve the problems themselves ... I'm talking serious dollars and cents. ;)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #122 by inphx
Thanks much for the quick response, and all your helpful posts throughout.

So the May 11 post obviously didn't represent a milestone as I'd hoped. And I take it by your comments that there's no guaranty that upgrading from the alpha, if I were to use it, to the beta then stable versions of 1.6 would be easy.

Just to confirm, there's no published timeline for getting to stable, correct?

Thanks again.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by inphx.
More
13 years 11 months ago #123 by freedomcoach
If you do not have a lot of users and you want to use K1.6 purely in test mode to see what it is like, sure, do it. You might have to simply delete the whole thing and start anew later.

If you are looking for a serious forum that you will build and then upgrade, why not start with the latest K1.5 stable and then upgrade later when 1.6 is ready?

My 2 cents..

Sincerely,
Howard
More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #124 by Moonstone
Considering Joomla announced J1.6 public beta today, here's hoping that K1.6 will be here soon! =)

www.joomla.org/announcements/release-new...a-now-available.html
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Moonstone.
More
13 years 11 months ago #125 by fullstackedpoker
i would rather kunena wait to release 1.6 when 1.6 Joomla is done lol. so we have ACL.
More
13 years 11 months ago #126 by Cerberus
Moonstone wrote:

Considering Joomla announced J1.6 public beta today, here's hoping that K1.6 will be here soon! =)

www.joomla.org/announcements/release-new...a-now-available.html

K1.6 will be released when its ready and working, cause if you looked before posting you would know that the joomla beta installer is broken and doesnt even work.

fullstackedpoker wrote:

i would rather kunena wait to release 1.6 when 1.6 Joomla is done lol. so we have ACL.

K1.6 will NOT have ACLs in it, ACLs will not be availible till about K2.0
More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #127 by John
No ACL? the manual most be wrong then: docs.joomla.org/ACL_Tutorial_for_Joomla_1.6 ;)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by John.
More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #128 by Cerberus
John wrote:

No ACL? the manual most be wrong then: docs.joomla.org/ACL_Tutorial_for_Joomla_1.6 ;)

think before you leap young grasshopper. ;)

K1.6 has no ACLs that is J1.6 and that does have ACLs.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Cerberus.
More
13 years 11 months ago #129 by woonydanny
Cerberus wrote:

John wrote:

think before you leap young grasshopper. ;)

K1.6 has no ACLs that is J1.6 and that does have ACLs.

hehe well said cerberus. Joomla 1.6 will have ACL and at this stage J1.6 is only at a very early release of beta. It will be at least a month or two (or more) before we see a stable version of joomla 1.6

Kunena 1.6 is a partial rewrite of K1.5 to get it more up to speed with the MVC way a component should be written. There have been lots of improvements and bugfixes but my understanding is that it wont be fully MVC. This version (K1.6) will be released soonish and will help many users with their current forums.

As development of J1.6 comes along and the Kunena devs have more time to analyse the J1.6 code and also have time in general to work on Kunena the ACL feature of Joomla will be incorporated into it. As mentioned this will be for Kunena version 2.0 which is down the track.

All in good time...

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
  • Joshua123
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #130 by Joshua123
Replied by Joshua123 on topic Re: Kunena 1.6 - a moderator's view
It's become quiet!

Any idea as to when the alpha finally will be released?
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Joshua123.
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds