Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question kunena to kunena ????

More
11 years 10 months ago #1 by helene
kunena to kunena ???? was created by helene
I just want to ask a quick question, - not asking for detailed help at this moment.

I have an old site (Joomla 1.5 using milkyway template). This template is not possible to upgrade into the new Joomla 2.5, and for that reason I decided to create a whole new site, from scatch in 2.5.

But I really thought that I could then just easy import from the old to the new ( I am no expert, and I am not able to do script, coding and all that), but somehow I thought I could just sort of one click move data and old threads from the old kunena forum to the new one installed on the new site .. not loosing old data and so ...

But reading here I find this is quite a mistake, - I thought the forum importer meant that, but am I correct in thinking that this is not from kunena to kunena but from some other type forum to kunena ???

Thats bad :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #2 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic kunena to kunena ????
Because of ACL changes in between Joomla 1.5 and 2.5 you need to convert access information for Kunena categories into new system. Additionally you do need all the user information from Joomla 1.5 (which has changed even more), otherwise messages will get wrong users assigned to them.

It was not a bad idea to create the site from scratch, but that doesn't mean that you don't need to migrate any data. Easiest way to do that is to run jUpgrade for your old site and just copy all Kunena and user related tables to the new database. Then install Kunena and everything should work (also works if you already installed Kunena -- just remember to drop old tables before copying new data).

And yes, importer was meant to bring data from another forum software. We did have Kunena to Kunena importer earlier, but it was out of date and we disabled it.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Matias.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #3 by helene
Replied by helene on topic kunena to kunena ????
Thank you for answering, - I am sorry I havent been back before now, -
I suppose the best way is to use Jupgrade, - I am in the middle of testing that at the moment, however it does not go smooth. Updating seems not to be going so well as building up from scratch unfortunately.

It seems thought that Kunena forum migrates completely without any problems to the new site, - I am unsure what you mean by 'drop old tables before copying new data' ?
Do you think you could say that in another way, for someone who is not quite familiar with the words (maybe due to english not being main language, or computer language also not being main language ;) )...

I am sorry though you opted to not have the other importer any more, would have been much more easy for me :) ...

Say one wanted to get professional help migrating manually .. that wouldnt be something you would be doing here at www.kunena.org for pay ? Or know of anyone who would and could ?
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by helene.

More
11 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic kunena to kunena ????
We are in a similar situation here (at www.kunena.org ) as you, namely, this site uses J! 1.5, too. In preparing for migrating from J! 1.5 -> J! 2.5 using jUpgrade, here is a simple summary of the steps involved:

(1) Make a list of all the Joomla extensions that you are using; this is a list of Joomla components, templates, plugins, modules (and languages). Some extensions can be migrated with jUpgrade and some can't. K 1.7.2 is a component that can be migrated with jUpgrade. There is a list of what can do with jUpgrade at their website .

(2) For those extensions that you are using that will not migrate (because there is no version for J! 2.5) you should remove them from your J! 1.5 website before you start the jUpgrade process. This makes the process run smoother and will improve the chances that you will not have problems in your J! 2.5 environment.

(3) After running jUpgrade on your site, you can drop any J! 1.5 tables from your database - jUpgrade leaves those tables there so that you can continue to run with J! 1.5 while you are still testing. I think that's what Matias meant. Therefore there's no need to drop any tables from the database until you are sure that your site works with J! 2.5.

There is no tool that exists to copy a Kunena forum from one website to another - regardless of whether the two sites are using different versions of Joomla. The Kunena Forum Importer is used to convert a different forum that is already being used on your site to Kunena. That's what the Kunena Forum Importer is used for and that is what this category is about.

The question "is there a tool to move Kunena (on one site) to another site?" is a good question. There is no tool to do that at the moment. To move Kunena from one site to another site has to be done manually, by hand, copying tables and installing Kunena on the target site. There is more information that may help you in:
The following user(s) said Thank You: helene

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #5 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic kunena to kunena ????
There has been some talks to include migration component into Joomla itself, which would be great. If you cannot migrate right now, I would just wait a bit longer to see if the issues get fixed.

Another good way to get your migration to work is to report bugs to jUpgrade.

I'm also doing site migrations from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5, but they are pretty expensive as converting site to Joomla 2.5 and verifying that it works takes usually one day of work, but that depends a lot on the installed components and what user wants to migrate. Templates are major pain, and so are some extensions.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Matias.
The following user(s) said Thank You: helene

More
11 years 9 months ago #6 by Plugje
Replied by Plugje on topic kunena to kunena ????
Hi,
Some time ago I posted this manual in another topic...maybe you can use this step by step manual :)

Import Kunena forum data to other Kunena forum

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds