Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question I want to migrate my forum to Kunena ...

More
12 years 8 months ago #1 by sozzled

alt"I want to migrate my forum to Kunena because Kunena has a future and, for me, it's the way to go."  Whether we're discussing Kunena or any other web-based forum application, this is probably a question that every website owner has encountered and wants to know the answer to.  It's not simply a case of how to convert from "brand-X" forum - and you can substitute anything for "brand-X" - to Kunena but it's also a matter of how do you preserve the cultural history of you web community, something that you and your users have invested their heart, their time (and possibly their money) into as well.   How do you capture and preserve the essence of the community to keep it alive and to prosper and thrive with the reassurance that Kunena is a product with a future and that it will also support your community as it continues to grow?

Read more...
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 8 months ago #2 by fairwea1
Kunena is a free and very good product. If they don't feel a converter that will convert everything is important that's their decision. IMO, in about a year, without a proper converter Ninjaboard will take over the entire joomla forum scene and kunena will become irrelevant.

Also, Agora is a very good forum but the developer ran into some problems so people are looking to make a change. There are probably some very good forums that will be migrating to ninjaboard because there isn't a proper converter. If Kunena wants to boast about how many downloads they have that's fine but the total downloads doesn't equate to how many people have active forums. IMO, active forums are the ones who make forum components popular in the long run, not downloads.
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3 by sozzled
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
More
12 years 8 months ago #4 by youkubi
Sensible. Very good choice.
More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #5 by karaokeamerica
How about instead of trying to build an importer from other forums, make one generic importer that imports from a pre-defined CVS format similar to what other extensions like SOBI2 allow. Have a component/script that you can set up with column row variables to define "anything in column A is X-value", "anything in column B is Y-value" etc. Then the component/script would import it based on the values that are set up beforehand.

It seems with an existing "forum importer", even if not perfected, the "get it into Kunena" half of the problem is thought out. It's the "how to interpret the original data" part that needs a solution. I would be very happy if I could simply export my existing forum data into a CSV, format it and manipulate it in Open Office then import it into my new forum.

Hopefully, I explained that well enough for it to make sense.....;)
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by karaokeamerica.
More
12 years 4 months ago #6 by Matias
Well, unfortunately the issue is not so simple that you can just use CVS. Some of the data needs to be converted during migration process and some data needs to be mapped to different values. So creating CVS importer from another forum is probably much more work than just write few SQL queries for your old forum (you need to do it anyway).

So we are actually doing just what you are saying: Kunena Importer takes data as pre-formatted arrays. So we have already solved most of the problem and the only thing you need to do is to take our example exporter and fill all the custom data into it.
More
12 years 4 months ago #7 by karaokeamerica
I admit I'm not the most seasoned developer so thank you for the response.

If the method you're describing can be used with other forum formats why couldn't it be used with other installations of Kunena?
More
12 years 4 months ago #8 by Matias
We had the feature to import Kunena from one site into another 2 years ago (when I was testing the first version of the importer). It wasn't maintained, so I dropped it. Actually making a new version should be very easy, but I would prefer using another method with Kunena as it would be faster and less error prone.
More
12 years 4 months ago #9 by karaokeamerica
Well, I for one would be happy if you did recreate it! Even if it were just a migrator from J1.5 to J1.7+ it would be a big help!
More
12 years 4 months ago #10 by Matias
But there is one: just use JUpgrade to get Kunena into your new Joomla 1.7 site!

PS. Just remember to install latest version for both Kunena and JUpgrade first.
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds