Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for the plugin developed, endorsed, maintained and supported by the Kunena project team. The topics in this category only relate to the plugin developed for K 1.6 and later versions.

Question Kunena Discuss: Can not make it work

More
12 years 1 week ago #11 by chellofr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #12 by sozzled
chellofr: exactly! :woohoo:

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #13 by sozzled

WSC wrote: I have the same problem with Category Mapping. However if a put a Default forum category in, the "Discuss this article" appears on every article and posts to the Default forum. But equally when I do this, the Allowed/Denied content categories don't work.

So as it stands I either have a "Discuss" on every page or none of them.

Would you also like to post a screenshot of your Kunena Discuss settings, too, please? Maybe then we can discover the cause of your same/similar problem. It would also assist your case to provide us with a copy of your configuration report.

*** General observations ***

What we have discovered in this topic so far is that there is no defect in the Kunena Discuss plugin. The problems that people (who have resolved their issues) were having were caused by their unfamiliarity with the plugin and the lack of a good set of instructions that explains how to use Kunena Discuss properly. Writing good instructions takes time but it is not solely my responsibility, other forum moderators or the developers to write that documentation. Any member of this community can write documentation.

If anyone would like to help us write better documentation, please send me a PM and I'll be only to glad to answer any questions people may have with writing documentation. With better documentation we can help a lot more people quicker and better than we're doing at the moment and I think that's what our main objectives should be. Thanks. :)
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 week ago #14 by WSC
Sorry - I started another thread as this one looked like it was moving towards resolution. As I said there:

I was having trouble getitng Kunena Discuss to work properly as I was using the top-level category ID in the Category Mapping box (what uesd to be known as a Section in old Joomla). When I replaced this with the lower category that actually contained the articles in question, it was fine and posted to the correct forum.

Is it not possible to use the top-level category in Mapping? I have over 200 sub categories - surely I don't have to map each one individually?

More
12 years 1 week ago #15 by sozzled
Let me make sure that I understand your question correctly: you have 200 categories (or sub-categories, if we want to be literally correct) for Joomla articles, is that right? You want to map each "J! article" category's articles to separate Kunena forum categories. Is that a fair summary of your question? :dry:

More
12 years 1 week ago #16 by WSC
No. I have Category called Daily News (ID 88) that contains sub-categories for months, each of which contains articles. I have created a new forum category Daily News Discussion (ID 35). If I set the Category Mapping as 88,35 I get nothing.

However if I take the ID of October 2011 (139), which is a subcategory of Daily News, and enter 139,35 then the Discussion appears below the articles for October 2011, as you'd expect. And if I add September 2011 (ID 138) so it reads 139,35;138,35 then it appears on September as well, as you'd expect. So it works on that level.

So my question is: do I have to map each sub-category individually, rather than being able to include all sub-categories by mapping the top level category?

More
12 years 1 week ago #17 by sozzled
I'm sorry to sound like I'm as thick as a brick understanding your question but let me ask you if I have properly understood what it is that you want to do.

Let's say you have various articles categorised like this:

Daily News
...../January 2012
...../February 2012
...../March 2012

I thought you wanted, for example, the discussions for the January 2012 articles to map to a forum category called "January 2012" and similarly for each other categories. From what you've written, however, you want something different.

You've written that you have a forum category called "Daily News Discussion" (id=35) and, in effect, you want all of the discussions, irrespective of what month their articles were categorised, to be dropped into this forum category. Have I correctly understood your question now?

If that is your question, then you don't need to map individual categories at all. Simply choose "35" as the default category and all your articles will (unless you define otherwise) be discussed in the "Daily News Discussion" category. Does that help you?

More
12 years 1 week ago #18 by WSC
You have understood correctly - I want everything from the top category Daily News to be discussed in the Daily News forum, irrespective of month.

However I have 5 other top level categories but I don't want Discussion enabled on all of them - the Default doesn't give me enough control as 3 categories need their own forums, and 3 don't need discussion enabled.

I appreciate I can achieve what I want by mapping each sub-category to its correct forum, but I was hoping that by using the top-level category ID I could achieve this with 3 maps rather than 100+.

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #19 by sozzled
This is becoming a very broad-ranging subject. It's quite difficult when someone chooses a subject title "cannot make it work" to contain the scope of the topic just to the one thing.

However, I will do my best to persevere and explain (as best I can explain, without the benefit of having a prepared script - i.e. good documentation - to assist me).

If you want to allow the major bulk of your discussions to generate forum topics, by default, in one specific forum category, then you enter the forum category as the default. Then you can create an exception or exceptions to that rule. At some point, I suppose, there might have to be a trade-off between how many exceptions you have and what will be the default.

However, in the example you've given, where you have three categories that you do not want to have discussions, let's call these categories 1, 722 and 4395 (just for the sake of argument).

You should be able to do the following:

[Edit] Kunena Discuss plugin
» Parameters » Plugin Parameters » Denied Content Categories = 1,722,4395

I asked you earlier to provide us with a screenshot of your Kunena Discuss configuration. Did you read the sticky topics in this category before you asked your question? In particular, have you seen Instructions for Kunena Discuss plugin ?
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #20 by WSC
6 categories, 3 forums. I understand how it would work with the Default. But putting the number of forums aside, I can't get a top level category to apply Discuss to every sub-category, which was my original question.

working configuration

not working configuration

And apologies for piggybacking the other thread - thought it was a similar problem. I did start my own when this one looked like it was being resolved.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by WSC.

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds