Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Double Login Issue

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #31 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Double Login Issue
So, basically, you want your users to receive an e-mail that says something like this:

"There's a new message on the forum. Here's a link to our login page. After you've logged in, go find the new message for yourself."

Maybe we can't say that. How about this instead?

"There's a new message on the forum. Here's a link to our login page. After you've logged in, come back here, read the rest of this message and click the following link: direct link to the message."

Or maybe you could say this, instead?

"There's a new message on the forum. If you are already logged-in to the forum you can read the message at direct link to the message. If you are not already logged-in to the forum then please login to the forum and then click the following link: direct link to the message"

Whichever way you look at things - and your example about the Joomla article is a good one - your users have to overcome the security restrictions on your website. If you present your users with "here's a new Joomla article" (and you have to login to view the article) then it's quite natural for your site to display a "you have to login first" message. The fact that, in the case of Joomla articles, your users are redirected to the login screen when they are notified of new Joomla articles seems to be a good feature. But what happens after they've been taken to the login screen? Where do they go next?

Our job - yours and mine - is to make the process as smooth for your users as we can do it. It may not be easy to achieve what you want to achieve because of the way that you've chosen to implement things.

freedomcoach wrote:

I say if we figure out how to fix this, we will also be able to resolve the other problem I've been having.

Huh? Other problem? :blink:

For other people wondering how the problem manifests itself at freedomcoach's website, this is what he's done:

(1) The forum is classed Registered users only = Yes
(2) There is no menu link to the forum on the site home page. You have to login first.
(3) After you login, a new "user menu" appears, with a number of options. This "user menu" is accessible to registered users only.
(4) On the "user menu" there is a menu item that accesses the Kunena forum. The menu item is further restricted to registered users only.

Therefore you don't realise that there's a forum until you've logged in. You can't access the forum even if you know the URL and you can't use the menu item to get to the forum until you've logged in.

This problem originally started because of the way things were organised. If (4) above was changed so that it was accessible to everyone then there was no "double login" issue. While (4) above was set to registered users only there was a "double login" issue. These issues (as far as I know) were worked out after a couple of us spent (in total) about 10 hours trying to figure out what was going on. As far as I know, these issues have been resolved. K 1.6.1 was the reason for the success ... or so I thought.

I don't have the depth of experience to know what else to suggest in this case. I have always operated on the KISS principle. Things start to unravel when you try to get too "clever".

Can someone else shed some light on these issues for us, please?
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 5 months ago #32 by @quila
Replied by @quila on topic Re: Double Login Issue
Hi,

can I have exact link received in this e-mail and test account details, please.

Thank you
More
13 years 5 months ago #33 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re: Double Login Issue
Hi everyone:

I think it is important for me to set the record straight here. At the present time, there is no longer a double login issue on my website. Even with my learning Center menu only appearing to registered users and even with the link to the Kunena forum being only accessible to registered users, it is all working. People login normally, click on the discussion forum menu item and are taken to the forum. At least for now, we can put this issue to rest.

The remaining issue to be resolved has to do with users clicking on a notification link and not being taken to a page where they can login. Most users are not going to be already logged in previous to receiving the notification link. In my view, it is ridiculous to send a user to a page without being able to login. So my very highest priority in this matter is to at least send the user to a page where they can log in.

Secondarily, I would like to have them sent to the post that they are responding to AFTER login. In other words, I would like the website or Kunena or whatever to “remember” the Post that they are targeting. This may seem far-fetched but I have participated in many discussion forums that have had this feature, i.e. the ability for the site or the link or something to remember the destination, keep that destination somewhere in memory and then direct the user to that destination after they are logged in.

Perhaps, with Kunena this is too far-fetched and it cannot be achieved. I'm willing to accept that if this is the case. However, I seem to recall that with earlier versions of Kunena this was indeed possible. Maybe it's just a figment of my imagination.

If this is not possible now, I would offer it as a highly desirable feature for a future version. At the moment, my chief concern is to make whatever changes are needed so the user is brought to a login page from the notification link. I appreciate any recommendations of how to make this possible.

Sincerely,
Howard
More
13 years 5 months ago #34 by @quila
Hi Howard,

I understand your issue and I would like to find a solution to this, can you provide me info I've asked in my previous post?

Thank You
More
13 years 5 months ago #35 by freedomcoach
Certainly. Here is the info:

This message contains confidential information

Sincerely,
Howard
More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #36 by @quila
Thank You Howard,

I don't need Super Admin access ;)

Edit: One more question, what is a Kunena template you are using?
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by @quila.
More
13 years 5 months ago #37 by freedomcoach
I'm using the standard default Kunena template that ships with 1.6.1. I only made a few changes in color with it entering some hex codes in the background fields.

Howard
More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #38 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Double Login Issue
Thanks, Howard. It's good to know that this double login issue is over.

So, let's start a new discussion topic for the "how can I get my users to click on a link in an email (sent from my website) that takes them to a restricted forum/category where they have to login, shunt them to the login page (wherever that is) and then, after they login, automatically redirect them back to the ultimate target they clicked in the email." *phew*

For us to discuss this new idea, we need to stop using the topic "double login issue". I'll make it easy. This topic is now locked.

So we need to start a new topic. Let's start a new topic, in the Feature Request category called "Email links and restricted categories". I think the idea has merit and it should be possible to achieve the objective.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds