Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged "This webpage has a redirect loop"

More
13 years 2 months ago #191 by madLyfe
Replied by madLyfe on topic Re: SOLVED!!
the problem for me is that if i delete "Kunena Menu" that is installed by default and keep the "Forum" menu item in "Main Menu" then i get the missing top nav bar tabs.. which is a whole other problem..

word up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #192 by sozzled
The so-called "solution" - to create a forum entry link as an external menu type - is one possible workaround ... but it's not the preferred or recommended solution. The issue that's under discussion here, at the moment, requires an understanding of how Joomla menus work. The details of the underlying issues are described in Customised Menus in the Wiki and Working with Kunena Menu (Index, Recent Topics...) .

Part of the problem is caused by the fact that the Kunena installation procedure tries to create a menu item in the mainmenu module. For some templates (and for some end users) this is a non-desirable feature of the installation procedure. For most of us, this is a desirable feature and we do not encounter problems when we install or upgrade Kunenan. The question therefore boils down to what is better for the majority of users. Perhaps the installation procedure should ask "(For Expert Users Only) Would you like to create a menu as part of the installation process or would you like to do this yourself?" and allow the user to decide what to do? Of course, a lot of users will then follow up with the inevitable question: "How do I create a menu?" and we'll tell them to read Customised Menus ... and so it goes ...

Perhaps the solution is for someone to improve the article Customised Menus or to write a new article called "(For Expert Users Only) How to create a Kunena menu" Could someone do that, please?

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #193 by madLyfe

sozzled wrote: The so-called "solution" - to create a forum entry link as an external menu type - is one possible workaround ... but it's not the preferred or recommended solution. The issue that's under discussion here, at the moment, requires an understanding of how Joomla menus work. The details of the underlying issues are described in Customised Menus in the Wiki and Working with Kunena Menu (Index, Recent Topics...) .

Part of the problem is caused by the fact that the Kunena installation procedure tries to create a menu item in the mainmenu module. For some templates (and for some end users) this is a non-desirable feature of the installation procedure. For most of us, this is a desirable feature and we do not encounter problems when we install or upgrade Kunenan. The question therefore boils down to what is better for the majority of users. Perhaps the installation procedure should ask "(For Expert Users Only) Would you like to create a menu as part of the installation process or would you like to do this yourself?" and allow the user to decide what to do? Of course, a lot of users will then follow up with the inevitable question: "How do I create a menu?" and we'll tell them to read Customised Menus ... and so it goes ...

Perhaps the solution is for someone to improve the article Customised Menus or to write a new article called "(For Expert Users Only) How to create a Kunena menu" Could someone do that, please?

well i also want a "forum" menu item placed in my mainmenu.. im with ya on that.. but that extra "kunena menu" tree that is made on install is not really needed is it? but it seems like it is because if i delete it and leave the "forum" menu item in the mainmenu(where i want it), i get the missing kunena nav tabs issue .

word up!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by madLyfe.

More
13 years 2 months ago #194 by sozzled

madLyfe wrote: well i also want a "forum" menu item placed in my mainmenu.. im with ya on that.. but that extra "kunena menu" tree that is made on install is not really needed is it?

I know ... I understand the problem ... I really do!

The problem is caused by the template that you're using and where the Kunena decides is a "good place" to create the menu. The Kunena installer decides that a "good place" would be somewhere where you don't want it. I understand that. Yes, I really do understand that. That's exactly what I've been saying in this topic over the past couple of days. What I'm saying is that the procedure built into the Kunena installer doesn't suit everyone; the procedure suits most people, but not everyone. For the exceptions - and you're one of those exceptions - people have to do things in a different way and, for the time being, that might also mean that they have to endure a few difficulties along the way.

A couple of days ago I think I mentioned (somewhere) that this issue has been discussed within the development team and there is a healthy debate about whether the automatic creation of a Kunena menu is such a good idea or not. For the majority of users, automatically creating a menu will not cause problems. For some users it will.

On the other hand, if a menu is not automatically created, most users will have a problem.

The idea is to make the process of installing Kunena as simple as possible. Sometimes that's not possible.

Everyone has their own idea about how their menus should be created and what templates suit their particular purposes. I'm not disagreeing with those choices or disputing them. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes things are a little trickier than usual. What I can say - with total confidence - is that all of the issues discussed in this topic are solvable if people have the patience and the perseverance to work them through.

The missing Kunena menu problem? The answer should be straightforward: use the Create Menu function and read how to customise you menu.

Perhaps what we could do is to organise for you to enter into a support arrangement (for a fee) whereby your website could be maintained thereby freeing you to do other things. Would you be interested in a fee-for-service support arrangement?

More
13 years 2 months ago #195 by madLyfe
im not sure where to start in answering that.. is it answerable? im not sure..

word up!

More
13 years 2 months ago #196 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic redirect loop error
Hi all,

Someone with more experience than I with the Kunena CSS did some minor tweaks to the colors of the forum I maintain.

In the process, he updated our forum from Kunena v1.6.0 to 1.6.1.

The forum index appears fine, but alas, I am now get redirect loop error if I click on any of the sections.

Normally I have the Joomla built-in SEO enabled. If I disable it, the error disappears.

I don't know whether this is a problem specific to Kuenena, but I am not seeing it in other parts of my website. Might something have changed between 1.6.0 and 1.6.1?

Thanks.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 160M | Max file upload: 170M

Joomla default template details : Sense | author: K2B-media | version: 1.0.2 | creationdate: 07/20/10

Kunena default template details : Sense-Online | author: MJH | version: 1.0 | creationdate: 27-12-2010

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.2 | Build: 3894 | Version name: Team | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: The file doesn't exist sh404sef.xml ! | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

More
13 years 2 months ago #197 by sozzled
G'day, cbrace. I've merged your question into the bigger discussion that I hope will help you with your issues. One of the more interesting features of your K 1.6 configuration report is the line that reads

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: The file doesn't exist sh404sef.xml !

So I s earched this forum for similar occurrences of this line, to try to understand what it means, and I haven't encountered this particular message before. I'm not quite sure how to explain the message. Can you?

Your K 1.6 configuration report shows some conflicting Kunena menu details: three menu links have the same alias name "forum" - ids 111, 401 and 421 - and that is why you are getting the redirect loop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aventura

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #198 by cbrace
Hi Sozzled,

That sh404sef error was due to an incomplete installation of that module. I have removed it.

I'll check your other leads in a moment.

BRB...

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Disabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 160M | Max file upload: 170M

Joomla default template details : Sense | author: K2B-media | version: 1.0.2 | creationdate: 07/20/10

Kunena default template details : Sense-Online | author: MJH | version: 1.0 | creationdate: 27-12-2010

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.2 | Build: 3894 | Version name: Team | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by cbrace.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #199 by readyman
Okay, i always like thanking developers and support teams for great tools, software and support. So, let me begin by saying I love Kunena! This application is the best! I have been using Agora Forums for joomla 1.5.xx for a long time, and have thrived to find a better software and I have, so from the bottom of my heart thank you guys for supplying this great application for free.

With that said, i do feel the need to ask a question however. i got my forums up and running and almost everything is working...almost.

Every time I try to access any of my:

*categories
*statitstics