Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to protect my forum from spam

More
10 years 9 months ago #371 by sozzled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #372 by mac123
Replied by mac123 on topic Spam/Xrumer attack
Hi everyone, My forum has been attacked by xrumer spam post. I have enabled recaptcha in the com_login / registration process and have added the stopforumpost API too in the kunena forum backend but those spamers are still able to post spam to the forum.
Any idea how to get rid of this?

Anyway how can I enable recaptcha for registered users just like this forum? In my forum, seems like the recaptcha function can be disabled for non registered user only

I use joomla 2.5.11, Kunena 2.0.4

Thanks alot

More
10 years 9 months ago #373 by sozzled
*** Topics merged by moderator ***

G'day, mac123, and welcome to the forum.

We are sympathetic to the issue of any web-based discussion forum being attacked by Xrumer (and other badly-behaving web agents) and Kunena is not more nor any less susceptible to such attacks.

This topic contains many ideas that people have used (with varying degrees of success) to counter such attacks by spam merchants. I am sure that you will find suggestions and possible solutions to your problem by browsing the pages in this topic.

In the first instance it is a must that you should attempt to prevent the source of spam by employing tighter controls around the user registration procedure. As mentioned many times in this forum , Kunena is not responsible for user registration. I hope that some of the information you will find in this topic will assist you.

More
10 years 9 months ago #374 by straetch
Replied by straetch on topic IP address tracking
I used to note the IP address of the spam message and include its inetnum range in the black list of the plug-in "Ban IP Address and Range".
Today the IP address is still not shown by Kunena. The plug-in seems not maintained anymore. So I gave up on that strategy.
Since some time I use the EasyCalcCheckPLUS plug-in. I include a small arithmetic test to differentiate humans from robots. I also use the black list of StopForumSpam.com, which you can activate from EasyCalcCheckPlus.
Since the I have no more trouble with spammers (keep fingers crossed).

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #375 by sozzled
I received a reply from DebraR to say that her problem has been fixed.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 9 months ago #376 by sohopros
we've seen the same problem lately on a couple of sites through the com_contacts extension - had to change the captcha system from ReCaptcha to AreYouaHuman. That seemed to stop them cold.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #377 by Phoenix
I've also been really impressed with areyouahuman.

I was getting up to about 1-200 spam registrations a day (this was with J1.5 before I could use a captcha with registration) and anywhere from a few to a dozen or more posted to the forum (which had email confirmation and first post recaptcha which many of them seemed to be able to crack). Since I migrated to J2.5 and added areyouahuman to the forum registration I haven't had a single successful spam registration much less a spam forum post in the two months or so I've been using it.

Phoenix
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Phoenix.

More
10 years 9 months ago #378 by skybax
Replied by skybax on topic IP address tracking

straetch wrote: I used to note the IP address of the spam message and include its inetnum range in the black list of the plug-in "Ban IP Address and Range".
Today the IP address is still not shown by Kunena. The plug-in seems not maintained anymore. So I gave up on that strategy.
Since some time I use the EasyCalcCheckPLUS plug-in. I include a small arithmetic test to differentiate humans from robots. I also use the black list of StopForumSpam.com, which you can activate from EasyCalcCheckPlus.
Since the I have no more trouble with spammers (keep fingers crossed).

Same experience with EasyCalcCheckPlus, a very good plug-in it gets the job done

More
10 years 8 months ago #379 by rhunter
I have had a significant attack on one of our sites that uses Kunena.

This attack, being mounted by Bots originating mainly from China, has been able to persuade Kunena to forward spam emails, effectively allowing Kunena to act as an open relay, although spam emails are being forwarded using the site admin username rather than redirected.

I am working through how this exploit functions and will update, but if others have noticed this same effect, which started for me around 22nd June 2013, I would be interested to know.

More
10 years 8 months ago #380 by sozzled
G'day, rhunter, and welcome to the forum.

If you read this topic (and elsewhere on the forum), some people have laid claim that the reason their websites have become clogged with spam or spambot behaviour is entirely due to the presence of Kunena.

It was not that long ago that I wrote in this topic:

We are sympathetic to the issue of any web-based discussion forum being attacked by [various badly-behaved web agents] and Kunena is not more nor any less susceptible to such attacks [than any other web-based discussion forum].

This topic contains many ideas that people have used (with varying degrees of success) to counter such attacks by spam merchants. I am sure that you will find suggestions and possible solutions to your problem by browsing the pages in this topic.

In the first instance it is a must that you should attempt to prevent the source of spam by employing tighter controls around the user registration procedure. As mentioned many times in this forum, Kunena is not responsible for user registration. I hope that some of the information you will find in this topic will assist you.

If you know which account is being used to spuriously send emails from your server, then it is a relatively straightforward matter to ban the account. If you have other evidence to substantiate the claim that [any version of] Kunena is somehow culpable in being used to act as a relay point for spam email generation, we would be grateful to know of such evidence.

Do you have any other information about what kind of web agents are responsible for this behaviour that you're reporting?

Time to create page: 0.590 seconds