Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to move, copy or merge my old Kunena forums from one site to another

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #91 by sozzled
The task of moving a forum, topics, messages, attachments and users, is not easy to describe within a forum context as we have here at www.kunena.org but there are a number of topics that describe the broad principles and issues that you should pay attention to.

As a start, I suggest you look at msgs #4 and #6 of the topic [Merged topic] How to move my Kunena forum from one site to another . Yes, this topic was written when older versions of Joomla were commonplace and, yes, the information relates to an older version of Kunena, but the principles are basically the same.

You need to copy the Kunena database tables, the Joomla user tables (assuming you are going from the same major versions of Joomla on one site to the other site) and you need to copy the attachments. The difficulty is going to be whether the Joomla user tables in J! 2.5 will be similar to J! 3.0 (and I have not researched this information). That's something you should ask at the Joomla forum ( forum.joomla.org ).

These three things - Kunena data, Joomla users and forum attachments - are the three areas you need to look at.

Advising users of the detailed steps they must follow in moving Kunena from one site to another is not the "core business" of this forum - the main focus here is to help people setup, manage and run Kunena on the site where they have installed it - and it's a little "off-topic" to the central purpose for which this site exists. That is why I have moved this topic to the Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla category in the hope that other members of the community, who may have been through the same process, may be able to offer their insights.

The task of copying site features (from one site to another) requires careful planning. The issues involving moving components from one site (running a specific version of Joomla) to another site (running a different version of Joomla) are beyond the scope of this forum. Those are matters best dealt with by the Joomla forum .

I hope this information helps a little.

Perhaps another member of the community has more information that they might care to volunteer.

I can only speak in relation to matters involving Kunena.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YonisHobby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #92 by MikeFromHC
Replied by MikeFromHC on topic Kunena tables
I've found several articles that deal with importing other forums into Kunenu but they all seem essentially abandoned.
I have been forced to use version 3.0 on my website and link to it from my clients website (Godaddy has been promising to update for over a year)
It works but at some point I will want to import version 3.x tables from my site to my clients.

I have been unable to find information on what tables I need to move.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #93 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena tables
G'day, Mike.

I merged your topic with another topic where similar questions were asked.

MikeFromHC wrote: I've found several articles that deal with importing other forums into Kunenu but they all seem essentially abandoned.

I think you will find that many of these "abandoned" topics are like that because people ask the "question", we give the information, and people do not respond by telling the community if the information gave them the answer.

It's a bit like the question you asked a few days about about " how to change the "default view" of the forum from 'Recent Topics' to 'Index' ". We answered your question but you have not replied to let the community know if the information helped you.

MikeFromHC wrote: I have been forced to use version 3.0 on my website and link to it from my clients website (Godaddy has been promising to update for over a year)
It works but at some point I will want to import version 3.x tables from my site to my clients.

It's quite straightforward to copy a website from one webhost to a different webhost (as long as you're not making any changes) and to carry on operations in the new webhost in the same fashion as things worked before. Using a tool like Akeeba Backup will achieve this very quickly.

I am not sure how you have been forced to use "version 3" in your case - "version 3" of what? Joomla or Kunena? - and this complicates the situation. Are you constrained to use "version 3" because of the webhost or because of the requirements of your client?

MikeFromHC wrote: I have been unable to find information on what tables I need to move.

Msg #4 of this topic outlines the things you need to move. Moving a forum from one place to another is not just a matter of copying a 20-30 database tables. There are three things that you need to move across:
  1. Kunena data (tables);
  2. Joomla users; and
  3. forum attachments

Moving from K 2.0 on one version of Joomla to a different version of Joomla is complicated because it's not a simple matter of copying database tables when the table structures are different. Moving the forum, in this case, involves migrating Joomla from one version to a version that allows you to upgrade to K 3.0.

So you have to look at an alternative plan and, because we don't know what versions of Joomla or Kunena you were using on your GoDaddy platform, it's my guess that you need to move the existing site from GoDaddy to another place and then do this migration in the new environment. It's a complicated process and it will probably take you a couple of days to plan things and execute your plan.

The tips in this topic should be able to guide you through the process.

More
10 years 8 months ago #94 by YonisHobby
I did the following:
1. Update my old site to the latest Joomla 2.5
2. Upgraded Kunena to the latest 3
3. Installed the same Kunena 3 on my new Joomla 3 site
4. Dropped all Kunnena tables on the new site
5. Export all Kunena tables on the old site and import them to the new one

The issue is that I couldn't migrate the users. Importing the tables left the site inaccessible. Creating new users and changing there IDs will not let them log in.

Very problematic not having a straight path for Upgrade / Migrate of the forum.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #95 by sozzled

YonisHobby wrote: The issue is that I couldn't migrate the users. Importing the tables left the site inaccessible. Creating new users and changing there IDs will not let them log in.

This is precisely what I was trying to say earlier in this topic:

sozzled wrote: The difficulty is going to be whether the Joomla user tables in J! 2.5 will be similar to J! 3.0 (and I have not researched this information). That's something you should ask at the Joomla forum ( forum.joomla.org ).

From the sounds of things, it's not a straightforward case of exporting the J! 2.0 user tables to a J! 3.1 website at least, not unless your old J! 2.0 site is migrated to J! 3.1 beforehand. What you have written confirms my suspicions.

If you cannot use your "old" users in your new site then you can't use your old forum in your new site. I repeat what I wrote earlier in this topic:

sozzled wrote: There are three things that you need to move across:

1. Kunena data (tables);
  2. Joomla users; and
  3. forum attachments

When you attend to those three things you will be able to use your old forum on your new site.

More
10 years 6 months ago #96 by Ace kustoms
Replied by Ace kustoms on topic Kunena to Kunena?
I have recently built a new site to replace my old site..Is there a simple way to ensure my forum at the old site remains with all its topics etc on the new site? The new site is in a sub domain, I have transfered a copy of all the users across and ready to upload it into the main domain but we really don't want to start over with a fresh Kunena install and be able to keep all our old info, threads, category's etc but in the new site...Have searched and search but cant find any info on this..

Both are using 3.01 kunena
Both are using Joomla 2.5.11

More
10 years 6 months ago #97 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Kunena to Kunena?
You can move the database over to the new site with some simple MySQL. You would have to manually (ftp) the images to the new site as well. A search of these forums will reveal more in depth solutions to migrating to a new server.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
10 years 6 months ago #98 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena to Kunena?
*** Topics merged ***

G'day, Ace Kustoms, and welcome to Kunena.

I realise that your question involves moving your forum from a site running J! 2.5.9 to another site also running J! 2.5.9 and is not quite as the subject of this topic (which involves copying a Kunena forum from J! 2.5 to J 3.x) but the principles are the same, nonetheless. If we had to have separate topics on every possible combination of different versions of Joomla and Kunena I think that would be an impossible task. I have therefore merged your question here so that it may help not only you, but also others in your situation, too.

The process is described in this topic.

For your benefit it would be considerably easier if you upgraded to K 3.0.2 before you began the move. It might also be a good idea to update to J! 2.5.14 also. J! 2.5.9 is not recommended by Joomla. :)

I hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ace kustoms

More
10 years 6 months ago #99 by Ace kustoms
Replied by Ace kustoms on topic Kunena to Kunena?
Thanks for merging my topic with some helping info..

And perhaps I can help some of the others struggling with transfering their users if they come across this..I used userport v3.0 it may suit others needs, may not as I was transferring between two Joomla 2.5 sites...

Just a little clarification though if possible (I appreciate the time you guys take to answer silly questions :))

So its only the Kunena mysql database tables I need to export/import into my new mysql database table?

Do I need to touch the Kunena install files at all? (Besides copying or overwriting the image file)

Both of these Kunena installs are in the same server environment and I can transfer files etc easy enough with the host cp.

Sorry if its another question that's been answered a million times..Just hoping to clarify whats mentioned above as I am a bit of a noob at this stuff...

More
10 years 6 months ago #100 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena to Kunena?

Ace kustoms wrote: Thanks for merging my topic with some helping info.

It was a pleasure to do this and I am glad that this was helpful to you.

Ace kustoms wrote: So its only the Kunena mysql database tables I need to export/import into my new mysql database table?

No, that is not correct. The information you need to copy is more than just the Kunena tables. The data that you need to transport from one site to another is detailed in my earlier reply to MikeFromHC.

Don't worry, you are not the first person to ask this question. This whole process is tricky and it requires a good understanding of how Joomla works and how everything "hangs together." Trust me, it's not something I would want to do every day myself, either. In fact, if I was keen to see the task done (and done right), I would probably pay someone else to do the job for me. :laugh: But that's just my personal opinion and, besides, I'm lazy! ;)

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds