Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question [Merged topic] The great, frequently-asked, "I cannot create a new thread in my forum" question

More
13 years 10 months ago #61 by Zentra
Hi,

I have upgraded Kunena a couple of weeks ago. Everything worked fine. Today I deleted non published forums and added a new one. After that, strangely enough, all internal links to "Recent Discussions", "Categories" and all topics only goes to the registration page. The forum is all publically open in all settings.

Since it worked yesterday and I can not see the connection and all settings are the same, this is very strange. The forum doesn't work anymore.

Can someone please help me out on this?

Thanks!

Z

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #62 by sozzled
G'day, Zentra and welcome to Kunena.

Your problem is a curious one, but you might be able to solve it yourself in a very small amount of time if you follow the link using the directions in the following image:

If this information doesn't point you to where you can find the answer, please let us know. Good luck. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 10 months ago #63 by Zelda
Good morning,

I read the documentation after installation and went throuh it again before asking the forum. I have also searched the forum but were not able to find anything similar.

There is nowhere where I can see anything about what influences internal links in Kunena. If I missed it, please give me the direction.

The documentation is very high level and not useful for debugging purposes. So, I was hoping the Kunena team would be able to tell me some more about what can cause this.

Version is 1.5.11 on Joomla! 1.5.17 with CB 1.2.2.

Regards,
Z

More
13 years 10 months ago #64 by sozzled
Please familiarise yourself with Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1) . I think this is the area you need to concentrate on. I could be mistaken, but I suspect that when you added a new category, you actually added a new section.

It may be necessary to view your website. Can we do that easily? :dry:

More
13 years 10 months ago #65 by Zentra
Hi again,

No, I can not see this related to categories/sub categories.

The issue is like this:

If I link to the Forum via a mainmenu item, everything works. But if I link to the Forum via the very same url, it doesn't. F.ex. if I put the link to the forum in a mod_custom html a href link.

This works for any other component (we have installed at least) and it actually worked before yesterday.

It seems as Kunena is totally dependent on having a mainmenu item. I'll leave there for now since it is running again with that change, but roll the ball over to you guys to think about this and if it is someting you should work on.

Best regards,

Zentra

More
13 years 10 months ago #66 by sozzled
Zentra wrote:

If I link to the Forum via a mainmenu item, everything works. But if I link to the Forum via the very same url, it doesn't.

This is new information that you didn't mention in you opening post.

Zentra wrote:

It seems as Kunena is totally dependent on having a mainmenu item. I'll leave there for now since it is running again with that change, but roll the ball over to you guys to think about this and if it is someting you should work on.

Not true that Kunena is totally dependent on having a "mainmenu item". Kunena works just like any other Joomla component. If you know the URL structure, you can create a link to your forum, just like you can create a link to anything else on your website.

I don't know what we have to "think about" because I think we're now further from Kunena than when this discussion started. Here are some questions for you to think about:
  • What is it that you want to work?
  • What do you need to know to make it work?
:S

More
13 years 10 months ago #67 by Zentra
Hi,

New information becuase if we have an important component, we may ask a support question in a forum, but we just don't sit and wait for the answer. We keep on trying to find a solution. That is why I figured out that the forum works if it is linked by a menu item, but not if it is linked as in my example. Should I not provide findings like that when trying to solve an issue?

From the beginning, we created a module (mod_custom) in where you can add any HTML you want. In that, we had text with links to two places in the forum in such module:

"Latest entries" with url: /forum/latest
"Categories with" url: /forum/listcat

So, there was no menu item. And it worked.

But, as I said in the beginning, after I deleted non-published sub-categories and created one new, this stopped working. Links from the module went to registration page. If I entered the link to the forum start, /forum, I could get to the Forum start page (set to Categories) but clicking any internal link in Kunena such as "Latest discussions" och any topic, it went to the registration page.

One question is at what conditions do Kunena link to the registration page? Next is, which of those conditions could be relevant in this case? Such logical threads.

I hope this claryfies what I want to get working. I do not know what I need to know to get it to work. That is kind of the reason to ask questions.

More
13 years 10 months ago #68 by sozzled
I'm sorry. It seems to me that we're both chasing a moving target in different directions. :laugh: Yes, by all means, you should try to resolve the problems yourself. As a moderator, my role isn't to attempt to become the all-knowing technical expert who can fix your problem or anyone else's problem for them; my job is to be able to put you in touch with other resources, other sources of information or other people who might be able to help you.

I'm reconsidering the comment that I made in my previous post: I'm still having difficulties making the connection of the relevance of the point you made about Kunena being "totally dependent" on having a menu item. Yes, you can create links (in any page) whether you use a custom module or whether you embed them into a Joomla article and, as long at the URL references are resolved, they will take your users to the recent discussions or the categories views of Kunena.

I am assuming that, from what you wrote, that you can still use references like /forum/latest and forum/listcat and that these work, even though you don't have a menu item for Kunena. Is that right?

Zentra wrote:

After I deleted non-published sub-categories and created one new, this stopped working

OK, let's stop right here and examine the crucial word "this". What is "this"? Let's look at the next sentence:

Zentra wrote:

Links from the module went to registration page.

Now, because you have mentioned this mod_custom module I am assuming that the links, taking you to the registration page, are emanating from the mod_custom module and not from Kunena. But what puzzles me is where did those links point to? If they pointed to an unpublished sub-category, I have no idea where your users would have been taken to. Perhaps it was mere good luck, rather than good management, that allowed the mechanism to succeed? Questions, questions, questions! :S

Now, the next sentence has me completely confused:

If I entered the link to the forum start, /forum, I could get to the Forum start page (set to Categories) but clicking any internal link in Kunena such as "Latest discussions" [or] any topic, it went to the registration page.

Yes, that's a real puzzlement. If you read the basic installation notes in the Wiki , point 4 of the "overall procedure" states:

Create a menu link in you main menu (important)

Aside from the spelling mistake ("you" should be "your") this is important because it makes things easier for you. As for Kunena being totally dependent on having this menu item, that's a completely separate discussion, because there actually are ways that you can avoid the necessity, but I don't see any need to go down that path.

So, this leaves you us with a few questions to answer:
  • What is it that you want to work?
  • Do you have a menu item, anywhere, that has the alias name "forum" and, if not, what's stopping you from having one?
  • What was the specific address of the link that you were using in the past that took your users to your forum but, after deleting an unpublished sub-category (or two) and creating a new one, now takes you to the registration page?
I'm sorry, I can't answer the question "what conditions do Kunena link to the registration page?" and I'm not sure if attempting to answer that question really helps you. Let's look at what you want to do first, OK?

I'm sorry, but I'm really trying to help you and I have the feeling that I'm not asking the right questions. Perhaps, if you provided us with a link to your website, together with a picture of what you're using to access Kunena, we could see the problem? What do you think? :dry:

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #69 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Joomla: URL for Kunena
I don't know if this information is relevant, but someone else asked What is the link to the Forum on my site? and answered their own question. Their discovery might be helpful in your case. :unsure:
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 10 months ago #70 by Matias
If you use site.com/forum as your links, you WILL need to have menu item with the same alias, otherwise Joomla does not know how to resolve that URL (= it does not exist). This is true for every component over there -- site.com/grasshoppers does not work either, well, unless you have menu item pointing to it.

To solve the issue, you either need to have hidden menu, which contains mapping between urls and components OR you can use /component/kunena as the url. There are no other ways to do it.

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds