Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Users notified of new topics even when not subscribed

More
9 years 1 month ago #11 by rich

mbruell wrote: What I can't determine is why posts from one particular user are getting flagged as needing to be moderated. This particular user is not defined differently than other staff members, as far as I can tell. I have watched her create posts to the forum, and I do not see that she is doing anything "wrong."

Mabye it's the same issue.
www.kunena.org/forum/k-3-0-general-quest...rrectly-shown#159695

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #12 by mbruell
I think this *is* the same issue. I hadn't noticed it before - but this user has to provide a captcha whereas other users don't.

Unfortunately, simply opening the user (edit), and then saving w/out any changes didn't fix it her.

Marc

More
9 years 1 month ago #13 by mbruell
I thought I could try deleting and then re-adding her back. When I try to delete her, I get a blank page - and no confirmation of success or failure, but she doesn't get deleted.

I am in the SuperUser group, and checked permissions for my group, and I should be able to delete users.

Any thoughts?

More
9 years 1 month ago #14 by mbruell
BTW - this user is a normal user, not a site admin or moderator, or in any way that I can see, different from other, regular staff users.

More
9 years 1 month ago #15 by mbruell
I think I figured it out. I compared users who worked well with this particular user in the mysql table kunena_users and noticed that this particular user had a negative number of posts. That seemed very odd to me, but I saw a few other users with a negative number of posts as well, and sure enough, they got the captcha as well.

I changed the sign of the number of posts in kunena_users table, and the user's issue was solved. She can now post w/out getting the captcha. I'll ask her to post to see if she gets moderated, but my guess is that she won't.

I'll keep y'all posted once I get that confirmation from her.

Thanks for the help,

Marc
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #16 by sozzled

mbruell wrote: I think I figured it out. I compared users who worked well with this particular user in the mysql table kunena_users and noticed that this particular user had a negative number of posts. That seemed very odd to me, but I saw a few other users with a negative number of posts as well, and sure enough, they got the captcha as well.

Yes, this seems to be the explanation.

I could probably write a small book (or talk for hours) about issues involving email notifications, subscriptions, category moderation and user moderation. Indeed, I've probably written a small book in this very topic. :lol:

In another topic, I referred to the issue of "negative number of posts" (see Moderate specific user ), where a similar question was raised.

You are correct in your conclusion that this seems "very odd", but there may be an explanation for why this occurs. Sometimes—I won't say it's a defect in Kunena or "just one of those things"—the post count can go negative if a user's messages are deleted. The general approach to resolving this problem is to use the Kunena Recount Statistics tool to recompute the user's post count. This is also a simpler "solution" than hacking the database. ;)

In conclusion, some users will receive email notifications of forum activity without the need to subscribe to forum categories or topics. These users are site administrators and forum moderators.

The situations in which those users receive email notifications are:

1) If the following configuration setting is true:

Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Administrators

2) If the following configuration setting is true:

Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Moderators

3) If a user, who is not an administrator or moderator, has a total post count less than the value of

Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Moderate New Users

4) If user, who is not an administrator or moderator, posts in a forum category where the following setting is true:

Category Manager » <category> » Category Settings » Review posts

Lastly, I think we should thank mbruell for asking this important question and in giving us the opportunity to not only help him but also help others who may be wondering how Kunena works. As always, we usually get to the heart of the problem when we're given as much information as possible and the first step in getting that information starts with the Kunena configuration report. As you can see, once we obtained the configuration report, this matter was resolved in a fairly short space of time.

If there is any other way that I may be able to help you, please let me know. You may be interested in the links contained in my forum "signature". B)

Cheers.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mbruell

More
9 years 1 month ago #17 by mbruell
In general the program works very well. You're right as well regarding the configuration. Once I had sent that in, and had a better handle on the nature of the issue, it was solved quite quickly.

Thanks!

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #18 by sozzled
This message contains confidential information
:)

More
9 years 6 days ago #19 by mbruell
Somehow we got negative post counts again for about 7 users. I had forgotten the recommendation to use the "Recount Statistics" tool in the thread above, so I edited the raw data again using phpmyadmin. I simply removed the "-". The values got switched back to negative a day or two later, but the absolute value of post count stayed the same.

I used the Recount Statistics tool this time, and the post count went from -26 to 8. I tested post creation and deletion by creating a bogus post and then deleting it (all as the one of the users affected). It seemed to track the count accurately.

FWIW, the raw data was showing -21 the first time it happened (since the fix), so I just deleted the "-". When the issue came back the next time, the count had gone to -26. I only got notified about one post being moderated, so I don't know whether the count jumped by -5, or whether there were 5 creation/deletion events by the user, and only the last of which triggered the sign reversal.

I just searched her posts, and only found 7, though I know she has posted more often than that. I'll ask her whether she has been removing posts. None of the other users have ever done that, so it didn't even occur to me that she might be.

Time to create page: 0.425 seconds