Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Users notified of new topics even when not subscribed

More
9 years 6 months ago #1 by mbruell
Hi,

We have a few users who are occasionally notified of a new topic or a reply even when they have never subscribed to a topic (and don't have any topics as being subscribed).

We're running the latest kunena 3.0.6 on joomla 3.3.3

Thanks,

Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #2 by sozzled

mbruell wrote: We have a few users ...

The first question you need to ask yourself is "which users?"

Are we talking about ordinary, everyday, unprivileged users, or are we talking about forum moderators and administrators.

The next question you need to ask yourself is "what evidence do I have that these people are receiving notifications, by email, of messages posted on my forum?"

1) Can you provide us with an example of some evidence to support the claim that one of your users has received a notification, by email, of some forum activity?

2) It would greatly assist us if you watch the video vimeo.com/69818669 so that we have a better understanding about how you have configured your forum.

mbruell wrote: ... [we] don't have any topics as being subscribed

What about category subscriptions? :dry:
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
9 years 1 month ago #3 by mbruell
Hi,

Our problem is that posts from one user are getting moderated, whereas posts from other users are not being moderated. We want all posts to be *un*moderated. We only allow staff to post to our forum, so we don't need to moderate their posts.

After looking at the attributes for this user, I can see no differences between her account (general staff) and others.

Can you give me any more direction.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled

mbruell wrote: Our problem is that posts from one user are getting moderated, whereas posts from other users are not being moderated. We want all posts to be *un*moderated. We only allow staff to post to our forum, so we don't need to moderate their posts.

This seems to me to be a different question to the one you asked in msg #1 of this topic. Your follow-up question (in msg #3) is about moderating users posts not about users being notified of new posts when —you say—they are not subscribed. Are we still discussing the same issue?

mbruell wrote: Can you give me any more direction.

It is difficult to give further advice to you about your problems without seeing how you have configure Kunena.

This video will help you to provide that information:

Link to video tutorial: vimeo.com/69818669
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
9 years 1 month ago #5 by mbruell
Sorry to have been unclear. Upon further examination of the issue reported in #1, it appears that members of Super Users group (in Joomla) get notified about a post when it needs to be moderated. The message is: "A new post has been made to a category to which you have assigned as moderator on the forum-name Forum"

What I can't determine is why posts from one particular user are getting flagged as needing to be moderated. This particular user is not defined differently than other staff members, as far as I can tell. I have watched her create posts to the forum, and I do not see that she is doing anything "wrong."

I'll post the configuration of kunena below. Thanks in advance.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 120 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 5M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : jsn_decor_pro | author: JoomlaShine.com | version: 3.0.1 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.6 | creationdate: 2014-07-28

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.6 | 2014-07-28 [ Tala ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled

mbruell wrote: We have a few users who are occasionally notified of a new topic or a reply even when they have never subscribed to a topic (and don't have any topics as being subscribed).

As I wrote (in msg #2 ) the first question to ask is "which users" are those who are being notified "occasionally". In other words, what are the surrounding conditions?

There are three general ways that people will receive email notifications about new messages posted on a Kunena forum:

1) When they have subscribed to a topic or category of topics. The topic title here — users [are receiving notification of new posts] even when [they are] not subscribed — suggests that this condition does not apply. But, even if this condition did apply, the email subject would be different to what you wrote in msg #5 .

2) If the either (or both) of the following configuration settings is "true":
  1. Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Administrators
  2. Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Moderators

In your case, according to your configuration report, both of these settings are "false". If either of these conditions were enabled, again the the email subject would be different to what you wrote in msg #5 . Again, this condition does not seem to apply in your case.

3) If you have any "moderated" categories. You can see if you have any moderated categories on your forum by looking at the index page(s) to see if you have a "little man" icon (see the following image):

If you have any "moderated categories" then the site administrators and forum moderators of your site will receive an email with the subject: "A new post has been made to a category to which you have assigned as moderator on the forum <forum name>."

mbruell wrote: Upon further examination of the issue reported in #1, it appears that members of Super Users group (in Joomla) get notified about a post when it needs to be moderated. The message is: "A new post has been made to a category to which you have assigned as moderator on the forum-name Forum"

As I wrote above, it appears to me that you have a forum category that shows up with a "little man" icon. Unfortunately, because I do not know the location of your website/forum, I cannot prove this to be the case.

This seems to be the cause of the issue.

mbruell wrote: Our problem is that posts from one user are getting moderated, whereas posts from other users are not being moderated. We want all posts to be *un*moderated. We only allow staff to post to our forum, so we don't need to moderate their posts.

After looking at the attributes for this user, I can see no differences between her account (general staff) and others.

I have been thinking about your question for the past day or so — I'm surprised that the forum moderators here have not offered their assistance — and my conclusion is that you have defined one (or more) categories with the setting:

Category Manager » <category> » Category Settings » Review posts = Yes

Another way that you can see if you have defined any categories this way is to go to your Kunena Category Manager and look for an indicator (see the following image for an example of what I'm talking about):

In cases where categories are defined by the setting Review posts = Yes, all forum moderators and site administrators will receive an email when a new message is posted in them regardless of whether they have subscribed to those categories (or specific topics in them). I could be mistaken but, returning to your first question (where you said you think that this issue affecting some(?) messages posted by a "few users") I don't think it's a case of what the users are doing per se. I suspect the issue arises for specific categories where users post their messages. I suspect that, if these users post their messages in forum category that are not "moderated", then the site administrators and/or forum moderators will not receive the email notifications that you wrote about in msg #5 .

Does this assist you?
Attachments:

More
9 years 1 month ago #7 by mbruell
Thanks for your help. We are not moderating the category - there is no "little man."

Also, we only have 2 forum categories, and they are not moderated. We don't get a lot of traffic in these fora, however everyone can post to these categories w/out being moderated except one user.

It really does seem to be a user issue, rather than a forum configuration issue.

Thanks again for your help.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled
Did you go to the Kunena Category Manager?

Can you please post a screenshot of the categories listed in the Kunena Category Manager?

mbruell wrote: The [subject of the email] message is: "A new post has been made to a category to which you have assigned as moderator on the forum-name Forum"

This type of email message normally is sent to administrators and forum moderators when a user sends a new post to a "moderated" category or in the case where you have either (or both) of the following configuration settings set "true":
  1. Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Administrators
  2. Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Moderators

There is also one other situation when users' messages may require moderator approval before they appear on the forum. See Moderate a single registered user? for more information.

The difficulty is, of course, in understanding the terminology (i.e. what is a "moderated" category and what is a "moderated" user). It is, perhaps, unfortunate that the word "moderate" has several different meanings. In the rather narrow sense that I am using, I feel that we are discussing a category that has the setting:

Category Manager » <category> » Category Settings » Review posts = Yes

I could be wrong, or course :blush: but it would help to see a screenshot of your forum categories.

The question here is about a "few users who are occasionally notified of a new topic or a reply even when they have never subscribed to a topic (and don't have any topics as being subscribed)." It would help to know who are the users being notified and which topics, or categories of topics, that may generate those emails.

You may be right—the issue be about about the users—but I would really like to eliminate the possibility that we may be discussing an issue about forum categories that may have the setting Review posts = Yes.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #9 by mbruell
Here you go - maybe I'm misreading the configuration options:

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by mbruell.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #10 by sozzled
Thank you for that information. I have a better understanding now about your problem.

You are right; you do not have any moderated categories.

I also see from your configuration report that you have the following settings:
  • Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Administrators = None
  • Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Moderators = None

Also, your configuration settings show that you do not use the "moderate first n posts" feature of Kunena, viz.

Kunena Forum: Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Moderate New Users = 0

Therefore, you should look at the profile(s) of the user(s) who are receiving these messages.

Login to your site as the administrator and go to the profile of a user who is receiving the messages with the subject title "A new post has been made to a category to which you have assigned as moderator on the forum-name Forum".

What can you tell us about this user? Is the user a site administrator or forum moderator? Does the user have anything listed under the Subscriptions tab?

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds