Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved K 3.0 SEO Meta Description Generators

More
10 years 11 months ago #1 by Shimei
In K 2.xx there was an issue with how Kunena generated Meta descriptions, or at least there was an issue how Google listed Kunena topics in SERPs.

In 2.0 these changes were made to the /administrator/components/com_kunena/libraries/view.php

Now, that everything is different I am asking for help in finding the code that lists the generation of meta descriptions. The changes in code in 2.0.xx were:
Code:
From: $this->document->setMetadata ( 'description', $this->document->get ( 'description' ) . '. ' . $description );

To:
Code:
$this->document->setMetadata ( 'description', $description );

And this screenshot is the problem I am seeing in Google, the global meta descriptions are first and by time the listing is shown the topic descriptions are not visible, after the above changes made in 2.0 the problem went away, and the descriptions were generated correctly. Your help would be appreciated in finding the right files and making the right changes!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #2 by Matias
File is the same, but it has just moved to JROOT/libraries/kunena

Point taken on descriptions. I'll probably going to take a look on those now that we're finalizing the new template. If I forget to do that -- will you remind me later? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shimei

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #3 by ChaosHead
And again all threads with nofollow attribute?
I call this anti-SEO.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by ChaosHead.

More
10 years 9 months ago #4 by Shimei

Matias wrote: File is the same, but it has just moved to JROOT/libraries/kunena

Point taken on descriptions. I'll probably going to take a look on those now that we're finalizing the new template. If I forget to do that -- will you remind me later? :)

Hi Matias,

Were these changes implemented in Kunena 3.0? Doesn't appear to be so. Also, I'd like to remove the Topic: from each of the titles being listed in SERPs. Can anyone help me?

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #5 by xillibit

ChaosHead wrote: And again all threads with nofollow attribute?

I call this anti-SEO.

Hello,

Yes i know, i wanted to remove all this nofollow, if you have some arguments you can add them there : github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/pull/1447

I have just found this site www.siteliner.com which can check if your content is duplicate, i'am not able to run this test on kunena.org

Shimei wrote:

Matias wrote: File is the same, but it has just moved to JROOT/libraries/kunena

Hi Matias,

Were these changes implemented in Kunena 3.0? Doesn't appear to be so. Also, I'd like to remove the Topic: from each of the titles being listed in SERPs. Can anyone help me?

Hello,

I will do it now else it will be forgotten, thanks for remind

P.S. : done look here github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/pull/1834

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by xillibit.

More
10 years 9 months ago #6 by 810
www.kunena.org

Site Summary

Report Details

Site Totals

Page Averages

Complete

Date:
Jul 7, 2013

Pages checked:

Duplicate content:
54%

Internal broken links:
1203 (23 pages)

Redirections

Size:
25 Kb

Words:

Internal links:

More
10 years 9 months ago #7 by Shimei
Ouch - to the duplicate content. I dunno if anyone else has experienced major declines in traffic since Google implemented Panda updates about a month ago, but I have taken quite the hit. I take it that duplicate content is just one of the things we should attempt to prevent.

www.religiousverse.com
Site Summary
Report Details Site Totals Page Averages
Date: Jul 10, 2013
Pages checked: 500

Duplicate content: 56%
Internal broken links: 0
Redirections 41

Size: 35 Kb
Words: 890
Internal links: 44.0

More
10 years 8 months ago #8 by sozzled

More
10 years 8 months ago #9 by Kubik-Rubik
Hi!

I had the same problem and since I use Kunena on a website with two languages, the result was even worse.

My suggestion for the description function is

- limit number of chars to 140 (or more if you don't use the global description)
- add the language tag
- add global description (optional)
Code:
public function setDescription($description) { if(!$this->state->get('embedded')) { if(mb_strlen($description) > 140) { $description = mb_substr($description, 0, 140).'...'; } $lang = JFactory::getLanguage(); $meta_description = $description.' - '.$lang->getName().' - '.$this->document->get('description'); $this->document->setMetadata('description', $meta_description); } }

After I have changed the code, everything is fine in Google's Webmaster Tools (HTML suggestion - duplicate description) and the output in Google is better.

Regards

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de

More
10 years 8 months ago #10 by Jiminimonka
Please put this on GitHUb Kubik-Rubik, so its possible for it to be added in future.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds