Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Filenames are been renamed when uploading jpg images in Firefox and Safari

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #1 by twilliams81
When I upload a jpg image in firefox or safari the date is appended to the end of the filename. Any idea how to make it not do this? I have attached an image named MomentsAD.jpg to see if it renames it on your forum.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by twilliams81. Reason: Testing Something

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
Usually, if you add an attachment (let's say it has the filename "MomentsAD.jpg") then that's the name it will be given when it's stored in your forum. That's the name of the file you added in this topic and, as you see, the filename did not add any "date information". The file is stored in your "personal" folder on the website - every user has a "personal" folder for storing attachments.

Let's now say you want to attach another file that's also called "MomentsAD.jpg". What happens then is that, because there is already a file with that filename, Kunena appends the date to the filename in order to make the filename unique and to preserve the integrity of the forum, where you may have referred to that same name elsewhere.

Does this help to explain what's going on? :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #3 by KateKoch44
It's my site that's having the problem and no it doesn't help. We're not trying to add another file with the same name. Every file loaded has a different name. They also are only loading the picture once and it's changing the name the first time. Then they go back in and look at it and they can see that it has added to the name.

Also, the AD is their initials and the likelihood of the same staffer having the same image title and the same initials is slim to none.

More
11 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
This is very strange. Let's see if your configuration report gives us a few clues as to why this is happening only, in your case, to every file that's being uploaded (apparently).

The "AD" thing is irrelevant. Attachments are stored on a "per user" basis in Kunena: each user has their own individual folder for attachments. See the image below, based on a vanilla-flavoured, out-of-the-box Joomla website with Kunena (and one other Joomla extension added):

It really doesn't matter if each user adds their initials to the files they upload (for the sake of uniqueness). If "AD" has the user-id of 42, for example, then all of AD's files will be located in ../media/kunena/attachments/42. Someone else will have their files stored in ../media/kunena/attachments/<user-id>. Within each user's folder you will find their attachments.

The way Kunena should work is that the first time a file is uploaded the file will be stored with whatever filename it originally had at the time of the upload. Your test on this site confirms this; my testing on two other websites (one J! 1.5 and the other J! 2.5) also confirms this. If the same user attaches (i.e uploads) the same file (whether or not in the same message as, or a different one from, the original message) then the file will be renamed by adding a timestamp in order to make the filename unique.

Therefore, let's see what your configuration report tells us that's peculiar in your case and, if necessary, we may need to login to your website and verify the situation for ourselves.
Attachments:

More
11 years 8 months ago #5 by twilliams81
Hi, Here is the report.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Missing | PHP environment: Max execution time: 300 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 50M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : rt_entropy_j16 | author: RocketTheme, LLC | version: 1.6.3 | creationdate: November 11, 2011

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.1 | creationdate: 2012-07-07

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.1 | 2012-07-07 [ Balozi ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: Jomsocial 2.4.1

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

More
11 years 8 months ago #6 by KateKoch44
No, no, not every file. It's random and it only seems to be happening to a few of my 40 staffers. We tried to find a common thread but they're using different browsers and one is PC and the other is a Mac and one attaches the file and one uses Photoshop with the image button.

This is a newly installed board. Maybe 6 weeks ago. It never happened on the last forum I had. We upgraded to the latest version and this one of the problems we've had. There have been a couple others. Also never experienced on the last version. Just a different set of problems.

I understand about the AD initials. I thought you meant the same image title site-wide, not user related. Initials for my benefit only.

More
11 years 8 months ago #7 by sozzled
I suggest you look at the video (link is in The Kunena Menu in the Wiki) to see how to restore/setup your Kunena menu properly).

I think I've tried my best to explain the way things work and why the apparent "randomness" that you seem to see). We may have to take this issue "offline" and work together on it. If that idea appeals to you, send me a PM and we can take matters further in another way.

More
11 years 8 months ago #8 by twilliams81
It's actually not random sozzled. I have found that it only happens when using firefox or safari AND it only affects .jpg files. I haven't tried it in IE so it may or may not happen in that browser. It doesn't happen in chrome unless I try to alter the code that shows in the post when i click insert.

If we upload .png files in either of these browsers the issue doesn't occur.I'm not sure about other file types yet but I know this is happening each time in firefox and safari if the user is uploading a jpg.

More
11 years 8 months ago #9 by sozzled
The first message posted in this topic is a .JPG.

I have tested posting .JPG images on two sites (one running J! 1.5 and the other running J! 2.5) and I cannot reproduce this problem.

I'm not saying that the issue doesn't arise, I'm just trying to figure a way to reproduce the symptoms.

More
11 years 8 months ago #10 by twilliams81
Yes it works correctly on this forum that's why I am perplexed that it doesn't work on ours. If you login at www.scrapbooknewsandreview.com and post an image in the forum using firefox or safari you will be able to reproduce it that way.

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds