Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged Please help me understand the GPL for Kunena ... (and removing the "Powered by Kunena" link)

More
12 years 1 month ago #21 by kiwi3685
Legally you probably can, but morally, shame on you for even considering it!!!!

You get this great product totally free, after developers have spent hundreds of their leisure hours developing it, and you still want to deny them even the smallest credit in the footer. Amazing!

I keep that statement in the footer of my site, and I'm proud to express my gratitude to the developers in that small way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiminimonka
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 1 month ago #22 by Jiminimonka
I agree with the Kiwi, it should be kept there to get more interest and possibly a few more donations.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
More
12 years 1 month ago #23 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

Similar questions are often asked about other Joomla extensions. Joomla extension developers always appreciate some acknowledgement of their work. In my opinion, a public acknowledgement helps to keep more Joomla extensions "non-commercial".

There is no company behind Kunena, the software is available for free and the support given by the community is also free. I think that it's a small thing to ask that for these free services people should acknowledge the work of the team and the community by leaving the "Powered by Kunena" notice intact.

People may interested in a more general discussion about some of these issues here: What happened to the non-commercial spirit of Joomla?
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #24 by nino59
How to remove Powered by Kunena Forum in 2.0.1?
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by nino59.
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #25 by John
According to the license you are allowed to remove that link, however I don't think you will get any help in doing so as a courtesy to the hard work the volunteers put into this great piece of software.

In this link you will find some more discussion on this matter: www.kunena.org/forum/77-General-Talk-abo...nena?start=20#118224
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #26 by stephenoconnor
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
More
11 years 8 months ago #27 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

Sure, if you want to remove the "powered by" link and you know where to look, you can do that, but please do not expect the Kunena team to endorse this approach for a product that is free, that has cost us thousands of hours to put our time building so that you can have this free, either.

There was an interesting discussion in the Joomla forum a while ago about someone's view that the number of free/non-commercial products listed in the JED was growing. It may be worth having a look at that discussion , just to set the background and the tone behind these kinds of requests.

While you may remove this small thank-you-for-the-work-the-Kunena-team-has-done-for-my-website, it's a little disappointing when people also write into the forum with "I have a problem with Kunena", expect our support for free, only to be greeted (when we visit their site) only to see that they're removed any reference to the fact that the Kunena team put many thousands of hours into building the software that they're using (and may, in fact, be making money from).
More
11 years 8 months ago #28 by sozzled
stephenoconnor:

sozzled wrote: I will try to keep this brief and simple:

The development team has reviewed this matter. In the past there have been topics giving details about how to remove the "Powered by" link and credits. There has not been a "policy switch": as severdia basically says, the only conditions governing the use of Kunena are covered by the GPL.

In keeping with this policy, the development team has decided to remove all messages and discussions that advise how to remove the "Powered by Kunena" link and credits. Although users can make changes to Kunena - to remove the authorship attribution, for example -the developers strongly discourage those practices as this breaches the GPL.

More
11 years 8 months ago #29 by stephenoconnor
I think - fair enough - your programmers have spent thousands of hours designing the forum and you make it free and we appreciate that.
The problem for me arises when I am building a site for someone else and they expect me to remove something with 2 potentially confusing links from the site.
I suppose anyone with 2 brain cells will be able to figure out how to remove it using some kind of search so therefore removing the "how to" from the forum probably just complicates it for people.
They will spend more time looking for a solution and possibly then consider switching to vbulletin or some other forum software?
Personally, I don't think leaving in the powered by will result in more donations.
I think making it a commercial extension might result in more donations. :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WebTrooper
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #30 by WebTrooper
It's not right to release this software under GPL and then lay shame on anybody who wishes to exercise their rights under the licensing. A bigger person would show them how to remove the powered by link, thank them for using the software, and provide optimal support in the forums even when they see the link is missing from that users forum. I guess it's just a matter of character. That's the difference between ego and karma.

All that aside, I'm pretty sure the deliberate effort to force users to display the Powered by Kunena link is contradictory to the terms of GPL, all versions. The license is a full package -- you can't just use the parts that suit you and disregard the parts that don't. I hope the Kunena team sees the light and makes the return link optional, like it should be.

www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by WebTrooper.
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds