Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Question Crypsis too hard to read and navigate,

More
7 years 7 months ago #1 by jhebbel
I'm sorry, but I hope this new site demonstrates the need for UI improvements in K5 Crypsis because this forum is so much harder to navigate and read than the previous one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChaosHead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2 by 810
What need to be improved then?

More
7 years 7 months ago #3 by jhebbel
Essentially things are too "sprawled" out, On a 1080p monitor I can see maybe 2 posts per screen, there are no distinguishable boundaries between elements and too much white space within elements making everything just kind of seem to run together. I wish I could just zoom out but then the font is too small to read.

The other k5rc topics have more info, but basically many people seem to prefer the bluefish (or whatever it was called) theme for pretty much the exact same reasons.

More
7 years 7 months ago #4 by 810
On the blue eagle, you had even less topics a page, because it has
Code:
min-height: 180px;
on the messages. Now it shorter.

I have edit some improvements, smaller space between lines, so now you have more space on a page. But I will improve more things, in the coming days.

More
7 years 7 months ago #5 by ssh
I'm not a professional designer
But I think I know what is the variable in the equation that is causing confusion for the human sight.

The forum is fully blended with the background (Including borders).
The results are: f2f2f2 overdose

Again,
I'm not a professional designer, it's a humble opinion from a mere mortal

More
7 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled
I understand and completely agree with everything @jhebbel wrote. This forum template design is extremely difficult for people to navigate (as time will prove). There's one important point, however, that @jhebbel (and many others who are used to Blue Eagle) may have overlooked: Crypsis has been around for over three years. The reason that there has been little commentary in this forum about the visual/accessibility issues that make it difficult for people to find their ways around the forum is because there up until this time nine out of ten people have been using Blue Eagle or derivatives of it.

@810 asks a very good, important question: "What needs to be improved then?" Well, I think there is plenty of information available written on this forum and elsewhere on that subject but, while most of the developers' attention has been invested in new "features" and gimmickry, I fear that compromises were made in achieving those objectives at the sake of getting the UI/UX right.

When people look at a forum (and after all, it's the people who visit this site whose interests are all about forums), there's a trade-off between the space required to deliver the goods and the space "wasted" in making things look "pretty". I'm not using this post as an opportunity to cast my own judgement on the layout of the forum (or of the site overall) but, honestly, the design implemented at this time and the comments already made in this topic indicate that there's a lot of work required to improve the design.

So when we get right down to the question "What needs to be improved", the developers need to do a bit of soul-searching. The community, as a whole, should use this opportunity to suggest those improvements. The answers need to address

a) minimising the scrolling effort;
b) locating the login "button";
c) locating the forum tools;
d) searching the forum;
e) reading the text (especially if you're visually impaired);
f) locating quickly and effortlessly the areas on the forum that people need to find; and
g) when people do find the function they require, getting the function to work in the same manner as they're used to.

Those are not the only areas that require and demand improvement but, when people conclude within a few seconds (and first impressions are the most important impressions) that "Kunena - To Speak! Next Generation Forum Component for Joomla" is not what they were hoping for, the developers need to consider these points very carefully. That's all I want to say about this at this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nemo10, jhebbel

More
7 years 7 months ago #7 by jhebbel
Im sure this will become a moot point once 3rd party themes start becoming available. Ill probibly release the edited version of Crypsis I am using once I find the time to polish it more.

More
7 years 7 months ago #8 by ssh
A couple of months ago I realize that the best option we have is:
Help the team to improve kunena even more (including Crypsis)

What I suggest:
Starting right now, be objective, create a topic for every bug/defect. 1Topic = 1Bug
if you found a defect/bug in crypsis, report it intermediately in the forum. 85% of bugs are solved intermediately

More
7 years 7 months ago #9 by sozzled

jhebbel wrote: Im sure this will become a moot point once 3rd party themes start becoming available.

Perhaps ... :whistle:

The problem with this assumption, however, is that, with nearly all new releases of Kunena over the past three years:

a) new features have been added that have broken all third-party [i.e. Blue Eagle-based] themes;
b) the functionality of Kunena is not controlled solely by the template—it relies on other functionality built into the component—and when changes are made to the core software, these changes also affect third-party templates; third-party developers have to continually repair their products to make them compatible with the core. If minor releases of Kunena did not modify the core then third-party developers would not have those kinds of problems; this is one of the reasons why third-party developers have had difficulties in releasing their own versions based on Crypsis;
c) the two or three alternative third-party [i.e. Crypsis-based] themes that currently exist today were developed for K 4.0;
d) until K 5.0 stabilises, third-party developers will have to wait; this also means that alternatives to Crypsis will be a while off; and
e) there is no documentation for third-party developers to help them implement HMVC adding a further layer of disincentive to begin the task of constructing alternatives to Crypsis.

These are the challenges facing third-party developers. These are the impediments to overcoming the criticism that "Crypsis is too hard to read and navigate" and the premise that the present criticism will (one day) be moot after third-party developers lift their game. The biggest challenge facing third-party developers is, of course, whether they have reasonable prospects of recoving the return on their investment in developing such alternatives. You could be right but we'll just have to wait and see how things transpire, won't we? How long must people—including third-party developers—wait (and just how patient they will be) is a matter of conjecture, of course.

More
7 years 7 months ago #10 by sozzled
... and by the way, I cannot logout now (something was changed in the last hour or two). The option to logout is hidden below the bottom of the page and I can't see it or click anything.

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds