Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Idea [Merged topic] What is the Best Private Messaging Component?

More
14 years 4 months ago #11 by Matias

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #12 by DesoWV
Excellent template, thanks!
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by DesoWV.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13 by freedomcoach
My only real complaint with uddeIM is that I have never been able to get the pop-up window to work when you have private messages in your inbox waiting for you.

The documentation provided has never clarified or allowed me to troubleshoot this. If anyone has any experience or suggestions with this item please let me know.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 3 months ago #14 by etusha

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #15 by DesoWV
EDIT: realized I quoted the wrong post... so scratch this post of mine...

mods feel free to delete this post.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by DesoWV.

More
14 years 3 months ago #16 by Matias
Here is my little plugin which shows notification in every page if user has new private messages. It can be removed from UddeIM component by uncommenting one line and changing Itemid value in the comparision.

File Attachment:

File Name: plg_uddeim_new.zip
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #17 by sozzled
freedomcoach wrote:

My only real complaint with uddeIM is that I have never been able to get the pop-up window to work when you have private messages in your inbox waiting for you.

The documentation provided has never clarified or allowed me to troubleshoot this. If anyone has any experience or suggestions with this item please let me know.

Sometimes the "documentation" you seek hasn't been written. It happens! But I don't think this is relevant to the discussion topic.

Fundamentally, the question of "what is the best private messaging components" crops up in this discussion forum dozens of times: everyone has their own opinion and everyone seems to think that whatever they're using is the best one. Personally, I dislike the JomSocial PM system used at this site (but that's just my opinion) and the uddeIM is a little awkward for total beginners, however some total novices are totally out of their depth with Joomla. I know a lot of people who are totally out of their depth with computers!

Kunena does not claim to solve personal messaging needs, nor user login, registration or profiling needs for that matter. There are many other personal messaging components that you can use that don't integrate with Kunena and they may be superior to the ones we've mentioned. So what? How does this relate to Kunena?

I don't think it's fair to use this discussion forum to complain about another software developer's product, but, to address freedomcoach's question, as far as I know, the "pop-up window" (or slide-across window, or however it's implemented with Javascript) requires a browser that supports Javascript, for starters. Maybe you should examine your browser's Javascript settings? As far as I can tell, the uddeIM pop-up animation only occurs if you're logged-in when the message is received. In other words, if someone sends you a message via uddeIM and you're not logged-in at the time when the message is transmitted, you won't see the pop-up animation. However, the message is still accessible from your uddeIM mailbox. :huh:
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 3 months ago #18 by Matias
Or freedomcoach could just install my little plugin and enable it. IMHO it's much better than any popup. :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #19 by freedomcoach
Happy new year everyone! I appreciate the comments and suggestions that have been made regarding the UddeIM pop-up notification.

I was able to get a more modest kind of notification when a person has a private message for them waiting. On login, they now see a notification in the login area with a small flashing icon that tells them how many messages are waiting for them. I believe this feature is built in to UddeIM but apparently was not turned on before. I needed to make a change in the community builder module to turn on this feature.

Since I am not a programmer and not generally inclined to making changes in code, I am probably going to stay with my present notification system which I feel is adequate.

If you can provide more detailed instructions of how to install your notification plug-in and how exactly I would go about changing the code should I need to do so, I might give it a try.

When it comes to Joomla, I generally take a conservative approach especially since now I am managing an active site and my businesses is directly dependent on the stability of the website.

Thanks again for the recommendations. I'm enjoying Kunena and really looking forward to the new features in version 2.0 whenever it is released.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 3 months ago #20 by Matias
Well, my plugin works without any modification, but it shows notification in every page by default. If you want to hide it from some of the pages (= when being in UddeIM), it needs small modification. You can try it and if you like it, we can hide the message from UddeIM page itself..

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds