Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Kunena 1.6/1.7 Reflections

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by fxstein

We did it! As of tonight - the closing night of Joomla Day West 2010 - the biggest one ever, hosted in the US - we have released Kunena 1.6.0 stable.

What a ride! We have been working hard for the last 9 months to bring you the best Kunena ever. The changelog file is more than 3500 (!) lines long.

A HUGE thanks goes to Matias who has delivered large portions of the new architecture, closely followed by xillibit who has become the second most active committer in 2010. If you have not seen the latest JoomlaCode.org stats (click here) - both are within the top 10 committers in all of Joomla in 2010. Matias is #3 and xillibit is in #7 overall position for 2010 - again this is for all of JoomlaCode.org!

Our lead committers are closely followed by myself, severdia, dragan (@quila), 810 and additional support came from the allmighty eddieajau, the infamous louis, sam and our team members sozzled, LittleJohn, LDA, TDP2, Mortti, Alakentu and rich.

Kunena has become a real community, 9 quarters of sustained development work has made Kunena the 3rd most active component of all of Joomla code and the top component for 2010. Kunena is not a one day wonder, its not commercial in any way and we are modeling our community more and more after Joomla itself.

And it is far from over. We will be contributing parts of Kunena into other Joomla projects - like our advanced build and install system, to allow ALL joomla developers, to leverage these complex subcomponents in there own work. In a session with Andrew Eddie and Azrul this weekend, we decided to start work on extension skeletons that contain all the proper basics including build scripts that will make extensions better.

Read more...

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Case-Berlin, hkymre
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 5 months ago #2 by woonydanny

In a session with Andrew Eddie and Azrul this weekend, we decided to start work on extension skeletons that contain all the proper basics including build scripts that will make extensions better.

this sounds great!!

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
More
13 years 5 months ago #3 by MarkBoy81
THANK YOU for developing Kunena.
And indeed, Kunena developers working along witz Azrul from JomSocial does really sound great!
More
13 years 5 months ago #4 by DTP2
Replied by DTP2 on topic Kunena 1.6/1.7 Reflections
Thank YOU guys. Keep up the great work!
More
13 years 5 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena 1.6/1.7 Reflections
"We will be contributing parts of Kunena into other Joomla projects - like our advanced build and install system, to allow ALL Joomla developers, to leverage these complex subcomponents in their own work."

Perhaps, of ALL the features that may go little noticed by most users of Kunena, this is by far the most significant achievement in my mind. I have said it before on several occasions, and I'll say it again, that the Kunena installation procedure is a new standard for installing Joomla extensions - it's a feature that many other big name developers are lacking and that is needed to make it not only easier, but make it worthwhile, for Joomla users to upgrade their extensions.

Overall, this was an amazing achievement by everyone who was involved and I feel honoured that I was able to make a small contribution to the project. Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cowboysdude
More
13 years 5 months ago #6 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Kunena 1.6/1.7 Reflections
FYI - Progress on Kunena 1.7 is steady and we have already coded the majority of data model changes related to the extreme performance initiative we are working on. Early test results show that queries against 10-100x data volumes perform as quick as the current ones - if not better. We are using advanced indexing and materialization techniques that will boost extreme large sites to and beyond where the best and biggest forums out there can scale too. We are also looking at smart caching algorithms that could allow us to take this even further - all of course based on the Joomla 1.5 and 1.6 framework.
Joomla 1.6 support for both Kunena 1.6 and 1.7 is almost complete and we are just waiting for the Joomla 1.6 RC to fix the last remaining bugs.
It has been busy around here and many more things are in the making.

More
13 years 5 months ago #7 by mijalis
That's very good news :) Performance is a very important factor for all of us...
However, I would like to mention here that although it is very good that you guys always move fast forward, you shouldn't forget to fix the behavior of a very important plugin for kunena users, the discussbot:
www.kunena.com/forum/178-kunena-discuss-...it=10&start=20#65877
Thanks again!
More
13 years 5 months ago #8 by fxstein
As soon as we have 1.6.1 out there we will turn our attention to the modules and plugins. Just wanting to make the core stable and bug free first.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #9 by mijalis
The problem is that many people cannot upgrade to 1.6.0, because of the way discussbot behaves.
You also mentioned that this behavior should be fixed by the time that 1.6.0 goes stable:
www.kunena.com/forum/178-kunena-discuss-...it=10&start=10#62113

Thanks!
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by mijalis.
More
13 years 5 months ago #10 by fxstein
We hear you loud and clear. We use the discuss bot here on the site and are seeing the issues. At the same time there are literally 100x more people that first need to get 1.6.x problems resolved. If you check the work and amount of hours we have been putting into this - as a free donation to the community, you will see that this is more than a full time job.
As soon as we can spare a couple hours away from helping the community get over the initial hurdles, we will focus on that. We did not ever have a discuss bot before, we shared the pre-release so to collect feedback and find issue. We see a lot of demand, but not always contributions that help.

Remember we don't own this as a product, we don't sell any portions of it, we are here to help each other and we will do so with as much time as we can afford away from our day jobs and families.
We said we will look into it once 1.6.0 gets stable enough to stand on its own and we stay to that.

Feel free to join in and help out in any way you can, but please don't remind us every day what else we should be doing.

Have a great day!

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds