Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Who is online?. The forum don't know the anwser of this question...

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #11 by alakentu
@Sozzled,

Hello brother. The problem is not the form, the problem is the latest version of Kunena (B3068). I hold the same problem in KunenaSpanish.com, the same @quila and I were reviewing the proplema and is a component.

In fact, I had to degrade the version comonente B3051 so that users could show online (@quila saw the problem.) Then we can move the module and adjust the component failure. ;)

Because if I use the local component of the users are connected, not my site. And with respect to the module (playing again the subject) is that since I did a clean install without modules or other compoentes in a subdomain and I presented the same error. I can do it again for you to verify the problem.

Best regards friend.

KS!
NO hacer Spam | NO esbribas todo en mayúsculas | Sigue las reglas
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by alakentu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #12 by sozzled
After alakentu and I had a long discussion about what "module" we might be discussing, we've come to an agreement on how to proceed from this point.

In summary, the version of Kunena used at this website does not have the "who is online" problems reported in this discussion. I think we're all agreed on that point. The question, therefore, is why does this site not have the problems reported by Odin Vegtamr and alakentu?

www.kunena.com is currently using a later build of K 1.6 than what is available as a public release of the beta version available to normal users. The version at this website is also a later release than the version being used by alakentu. Therefore it may be reasonable to expect that this problem has already been fixed and that users will need to wait for the next public release of K 1.6.

It's also possible that this issue is a server-related matter - for instance, alakentu does not see the problem using the same build of Kunena but installed on two different servers (a local server and a hosted one).

Evidently more testing will need to be done on this case.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #13 by alakentu
Thank Sozzled.

I agree with you, we must wait for a new public beta version to see corrections in the component. We hope that the developers have found solutions to all favorable.

Again, we challenge all users to use versions of Kunena 1.6 carefully (Is beta version yet, Ok!). Please for upcoming reports all possible data to get better help with the problems presented.

Best Regards.

KS!
NO hacer Spam | NO esbribas todo en mayúsculas | Sigue las reglas
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by alakentu.

More
13 years 9 months ago #14 by Odin Vegtamr
I have a question: what is the purpose of launch the beta 1 for testers if there is a working beta 2 running here for example?

If the testers are reporting problems that are in beta 1 but no in beta 2, testers and developers are losing time. Testers are working with an obsolete version that can not give usefull information and developers are wasting time reading about issues that are not real problems, only bugs from old versions.

Internet and free software allow us to cooperate together and make a world wide team. Think about it: I'm from Tenerife, in Canary Islands, Spain, you sozzled are from Australia and Alakentu is from Venezuela in South America. Who could tell us ten years ago that in 2010 we are a team that is developing the better component for joomla that exist? Think about it :)

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #15 by sozzled
The version that you see here, at www.kunena.com , is a practical demonstration of the confidence that the developers of Kunena have in the product. It's not just that the Kunena project team has been working for months on the version that you see here, it's that the team is prepared to show everyone that that the new Kunena is not just pie-in-the-sky "vapourware" or not worthy of people's trust.

That being said, the version you see here is not always the version that people who are testing K 1.6 have nor is it the same version, necessarily, that's available for public download. We take seriously the versions available for public download and they are only made available after extensive testing. The later builds that some people are using (or still developing) or that may be seen here at www.kunena.com may have defects or bugs that haven't yet been identified. It would irresponsible on our part to offer every single build that comes off the development "assembly line" - and new builds are being generated every couple of days. If we did that it would only confuse our regular users.

Offering under-development builds, like the one that's available for public download, to the public at less-frequent intervals than what the developers and internal testing team use, is not a total waste of time, either. Sometimes you will find errors/defects/bugs in these public releases that were fixed and sometimes you won't - that is, you might find something that we weren't previously aware of. It's a big job and it's takes a lot of time to sift through all these reports to find out what is really a problem and what is something that resulted from a user doing something (or changing something) that we never could have anticipated.

If you look back over the history of K 1.5.x (and K 1.0.x before that), 90% of the problems that people reported - asking for support - occurred because they were using a non-standard, modified version of Kunena, an unsupported Joomla/SQL/PHP combination or a unique Joomla extension (such as a Joomla template) that didn't work with Kunena. Very few of those problems were really defects in the Kunena product. That's why we ask, particularly while Kunena is still in development, for people to be patient, to avoid jumping straight into K 1.6 or use it on a live production site or go mad and try to change things before the product has stabilised.

I hope some of what I've written will help people understand that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes at the moment. We're doing our best to help and we only ask that you "play it safe".

Cheers

"sozz"
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mortti

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #16 by tokyotenshi
Hi,
I'm a noob, never touched anything PHP related, joomla etc until last week.. The first forum I installed was the kunena alpha version, and I had the same problem with showing who is online on the front page. However, it was just the front page. Clicking the who is online link shows the online users. I downgraded to ver. 1.5 but I like the new 1.6 look too much..

I did a fresh re-install of the ver. 1.6 beta1 b3068 on that site (with custom template) and a test site with default_ex template. Both the same, it does not show who is online on the front page so I knew it has to be related to the codes and not the custom template I'm using. Being a PHP noob, I spent days trying to find solution, and found this page and yet no solution. So I checked every single files and every single lines and was amazed at what I found. It turns out, all I had to do was to just change ONE LINE.

kunena.who.class.php line 227 (in lib folder)

Code:
public function displayWho () { CKunenaTools::loadTemplate('/plugin/who/who.php');

Just change the who.php to point to whoisonline.php, and voila, now it's showing online users in the forum front page, finally. I hope if you're having the same problem, this is the solution. I'm assuming this is be fixed in the upcoming release.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by tokyotenshi.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #17 by sozzled
G'day, tokyotenshi, and welcome to Kunena.

Thank you very much for sharing your discovery - I wish more people were like you in sharing the solutions they've found with others within the community - and for very clearly explaining how you went about solving this issue. If you are right (I haven't checked the details) there will be a virtual case of beer arriving at your virtual doorstop virtually any time now! :lol:

Seriously, though, thank you very much for your help.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tokyotenshi

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #18 by @quila

tokyotenshi wrote: Hi,
I'm a noob, never touched anything PHP related, joomla etc until last week.. The first forum I installed was the kunena alpha version, and I had the same problem with showing who is online on the front page. However, it was just the front page. Clicking the who is online link shows the online users. I downgraded to ver. 1.5 but I like the new 1.6 look too much..

I did a fresh re-install of the ver. 1.6 beta1 b3068 on that site (with custom template) and a test site with default_ex template. Both the same, it does not show who is online on the front page so I knew it has to be related to the codes and not the custom template I'm using. Being a PHP noob, I spent days trying to find solution, and found this page and yet no solution. So I checked every single files and every single lines and was amazed at what I found. It turns out, all I had to do was to just change ONE LINE.

kunena.who.class.php line 227 (in lib folder)

Code:
public function displayWho () { CKunenaTools::loadTemplate('/plugin/who/who.php');

Just change the who.php to point to whoisonline.php, and voila, now it's showing online users in the forum front page, finally. I hope if you're having the same problem, this is the solution. I'm assuming this is be fixed in the upcoming release.

Hi tokyotenshi, thanks for your effort.

I have dubt that this is solution for problrm discussed here. Php class/function you have mention just load one or other template file in some place.

With change you have done, in the who page (page after you click to link "Who is online" on plugins header) you load whoisonline page and not right page should be displayed. Also if seems to solve problem, issue are still there.

Can you show as your site where this is implement and provide as also test account to see in live what you have done. Thanks.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by @quila.

More
13 years 9 months ago #19 by @quila

Odin Vegtamr wrote: The module is a modification made by me of something that a friend sended to me with developing purpose.

Changes you have made to module are cool. Maybe when we release our official you can do the same and share with community. ;) Thanks.

More
13 years 9 months ago #20 by sozzled
I have to agree with you, @quila. There is still one question in my mind that disturbs me. If the same software is used on two different server platforms (one on a local machine and the other a hosted internet-based server) why does the software seem to behave differently as reported by Odin and alakentu?

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds