Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question system cache plugin + Kunena

More
9 years 3 months ago #11 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic system cache plugin + Kunena
Any update on this? Seems that Kunena does not play nice with the system plugin on Joomla 3.3.6.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #12 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic system cache plugin + Kunena
system cache plugin, is created for static sites, so if you have a website that is changing then you should disable the plugin.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #13 by sozzled

Josh wrote: Any update on this? Seems that Kunena does not play nice with the system plugin on Joomla 3.3.6.

This topic is over four years old and relates to issues involving J! 1.5. The J! 1.5 system cache plugin behaviour was very different to the current J! 3.x behaviour.

As 810 hinted, if your website content is changing very dynamically—if content is altered many times a minute, for example—you may want to consider disabling the Joomla system cache plugin. If the content on your website is relatively static, you might prefer to enable the Joomla system cache plugin. The choice between enabling or disabling the plugin really is something to be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
9 years 3 months ago #14 by Josh
My site is going to be a wiki site, so yes it's going to be dynamic. However I have the cache plugin only visible to guest users so that logged in members can see content in real time. Yes this is a slight inconvenience to guest viewers but not much of one. The site speed boost will help encourage site contributions as well as help with SEO.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #15 by sozzled

Josh wrote: Seems that Kunena does not play nice with the system plugin on Joomla 3.3.6.

Could you please explain what you mean by your suggestion that Kunena "does not place nicely" with the System - Cache plugin in J! 3.3.6?

More
9 years 3 months ago #16 by Josh
The layout is broken and I get an error message as seen here . The error message says:

0 - DateTime::__construct(): Failed to parse time string ({"year":"1977","month":"7","day":"2"}) at position 0 ({): Unexpected character

It only does this inside of the topic. The index, categories, and search display just fine. I confirmed that this is not a template conflict.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #17 by sozzled
Does this error disappear if you disable the Joomla System - Cache plugin?

It looks, to me, that this error is not coming from the Kunena component ... but I could be wrong.

More
9 years 3 months ago #18 by Josh
The error disappears when the plugin is disabled. I knew this before posting. What I'm proposing "is it possible for Kunena in the future to ignore the plugin completely?". This way we can cache Joomla articles and use Kunena.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #19 by sozzled
When I visited your website —I'm guessing you had the System - Cache plugin enabled—at that time, I saw the the error message you described (and that the CSS stylesheet was not loading). The "error message" appears at the bottom of the page underneath the forum posts.

I'm guessing that this error message is generated either:

a) part-way through the loading of the topic; or
b) after Kunena has finished processing and Joomla is attempting to load other parts on the page.

In either case, the disturbing factor is that the CSS stylesheet is not properly loading.

To better understand what's going on, the first thing to do is to enable Joomla debug mode and follow the trace-back to see which file is being used at the point when the error message appears.

I'm flying blind here because I don't know much about your website. Even if I saw your Kunena configuration report, I am not sure if I can "remotely diagnose" the problem here, on this forum. I'm willing to give it my best shot, however, but I would be very surprised if the System - Cache plugin was the only thing responsible for this problem.

For your information, I rarely enable the System - Cache plugin—not because I distrust it or fear that it will cause problems but simply because I have no use for it in my websites.

I will enable this plugin on a test site and confirm if K 3.0.6 fails to load pages like it does on your site ... and I will report back soon.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #20 by sozzled
My test:

J! 3.3.3 (too many problems with J! 3.3.4, J! 3.3.5 and J! 3.3.6 and I will not be updating Joomla until those problems have [hopefully] been fixed in J! 3.4.0)
K 3.0.6
Joomla Protostar template
Kunena Blue Eagle template
Joomla System - Cache plugin enabled

Global Configuration » System » Cache Settings » Cache = OFF - Caching Disabled
Global Configuration » System » Cache Settings » Cache Hander = File
Global Configuration » System » Cache Settings » Cache Time = 15

No problems detected when viewing categories, topics or posts in topics.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds