Kunena 6.3.1 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.1 [K 6.3.1] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 / K 6.3 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question How can I add an specific ID item # into a Kunena link?

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31 by RCheesley
Why do you need to add a specific ItemID? I'd have thought that was pretty obvious to anyone who uses Joomla! to be honest.

Modules appear based on which menu item you assign them to. This works based on the ItemID of the menu item.

If you make a link to something in a menu, generally site-wide that item will pick up the ItemID from the menu item and use that, hence you can set modules to appear when that particular page is shown.

The problem here is that kunena is either:

1. Not creating an ItemID at all, in the case of the user profiles, using "0"
2. Creating an ItemID for the main forum, but despite other sub-forums being manually linked to the main menu also (and hence having their own discrete ItemID), it is not using the discrete itemID from those menu items but instead using the main forum itemID for all sub-forums. Meaning that if certain modules were wanted to appear on certain forums (in the case of my forum, sponsors banners), they do not display. This has only recently happened since I upgraded Kunena, it was working before.

Does this make it clearer at all?

I actually think these two issues are strongly related. If the user profile link is added to a menu then it should pick up that menu ItemID and use that, however it sounds like it's not, and it's being over-ridden by Kunena.

Some input from the development team would be most useful, I suspect they might be able to point out what the issue is quite easily (and hopefully understand it) - no offence intended.

Ruth
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by RCheesley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32 by Matias
There are two very separate problems in this topic, which have nothing to do with each other.

User profile issue with AUP integration points to external profile page in Kunena 1.6. Unlike in K1.5 where we queried database by ourself to get the Itemid, we are now using AUP API to get that information. The main issue in this case seems to be the fact that API was incomplete on older AUP versions and this issue has been fixed in newest versions -- upgrading AUP will fix the issue.

Another issue comes most likely from Kunena 1.5, which does not have support of having multiple menu instances. This has been greatly improved in K1.6, which uses Joomla menus and can be extended to work in multiple instances. How to do it needs still to be documented, as because of some Joomla 1.5 bug (in menu manager) I couldn't make it to work as I wanted to. I still need to find a way to fix it and propose the change to Joomla team. It's still possible to have this feature in Kunena 1.6, depending on how the forum is built (by creating menu items for each sub-forum).

Maybe we should craete a clone / test site from the forum and try if we can make this to work in Kunena 1.6, which is designed to use Joomla menu and where every page can in theory have its own Itemid.

In the mean time, I propose that you go back to the older version where your feature worked.

I just want to ask one thing from RCeesley: what is the current version of Kunena you're using and what it was before the issue emerged? Link to the forum would be great, too (you can put it inside
This message contains confidential information

More
13 years 9 months ago #33 by Matias
Now that I thought about it.. There might be easy fix for Kunena 1.5, but it might break Kunena modules or integration with other components.

I need to investigate it.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #34 by iLucato

RCheesley wrote: Hi,

OK here is what I am doing:

Forum set up as follows

Container 1 (e.g. recruitment)
Forum 1
Forum 2

Container 2 (e.g. administration)
Forum 3
Forum 4

What I need to do is have certain banner ads appear under Container 1 (recruitment companies) and Container 2 (administration providers). The way I had this working was:

Set up main menu forum link (itemid 54) then menu sub-items (which are external links, and yes I checked that the itemID's were correct) to the containers, itemID 55 and 56, as there is no way to do this in the menu item type for Kunena.

Forum (54)
Container 1 (55)
Container 2 (56)

Then assign banner modules to Container 1 and Container 2. This *should* work because the containers have a unique ItemID, and it DID work until I updated the forum.

Ruth

Ruth, I'm sorry for my delay, but I was trying to undestand your workflow and how would solve it.
Maybe you can try this steps, I'm not sure if it will solve your issue, but "Ruth" knows: :0)

a) Duplicate/copy your banner module;
b) Rename it "whatever (728x90) - Kunena";
c) In the position you need to type the wished position within the kunena forum such as kunena_msg_1, Kunena_msg_2, kunena_profilebox, etc. Click here to see the options you have to type in the input field .
d) Assign your menu within the module;
e) done, save it.

If your banner doesn't show up, try to use different positions c), check if your module is published, etc. So, for your another container advertising, just duplicate the banner module again, and do all over from a) to e).

Well, I hope this work for you.

Let us know.

Kunena 2.0.4 | 2013-01-18 [ Pharmacopoeia ], J!1.5.25, rhuk_milkyway, CB 1.8.1, AUP 1.5.13, UddeIM 2.5 and Akeeba Backup 3.3.9

EsferaDoBem.com.br | iLucato.com.br | BemDoado.com.br
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by iLucato.

More
13 years 9 months ago #35 by iLucato

Matias wrote: There are two very separate problems in this topic, which have nothing to do with each other.

User profile issue with AUP integration points to external profile page in Kunena 1.6. Unlike in K1.5 where we queried database by ourself to get the Itemid, we are now using AUP API to get that information. The main issue in this case seems to be the fact that API was incomplete on older AUP versions and this issue has been fixed in newest versions -- upgrading AUP will fix the issue.

Ok, user profile is assigned to the menu item, but the issue remains even with the latest Kunena and AUP upgrade. As I said before, when you click on a "username" link from some places like:
- welcome, "username";
- last message by "username"
- ..hours ago by "username"
So, if I click on these usernames, it isn't assigned to any Itemid#, so the link from them is missing the Itemid#

What I would suggest, is that Kunena would have an option as UddeIM has that you get to set their Itemid=0 to any Itemid you want to as you can check in their System Tab, Override/Overlap ItemId, 'Use Item ID' input field. So, IMHO, Kunena should have this ItemID override by user as UddeIM does. So, If I had that, when I click on user name link, I would get to use a page lay-out/Menu item that I want to.

Kunena 2.0.4 | 2013-01-18 [ Pharmacopoeia ], J!1.5.25, rhuk_milkyway, CB 1.8.1, AUP 1.5.13, UddeIM 2.5 and Akeeba Backup 3.3.9

More
13 years 9 months ago #36 by RCheesley
That works for the main forum, but it does NOT work for subforums/categories. It doesn't matter what module position you use, or WHAT module you try to publish, it is not possible to set *ANY* modules to appear specifically on *ANY* of the menu items which are relating to Kunena except for the main forum link. The other links pick up modules which are assigned to the main menu item (the link to the main forum), but NOT any that are assigned to the sub menus or categories themselves.

I feel like I've said this a hundred times already!

More
13 years 9 months ago #37 by RCheesley
Currently on 1.5.12, believe it was previously 1.5.11 but may have been earlier.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #38 by iLucato

RCheesley wrote: That works for the main forum, but it does NOT work for subforums/categories. It doesn't matter what module position you use, or WHAT module you try to publish, it is not possible to set *ANY* modules to appear specifically on *ANY* of the menu items which are relating to Kunena except for the main forum link. The other links pick up modules which are assigned to the main menu item (the link to the main forum), but NOT any that are assigned to the sub menus or categories themselves.

I feel like I've said this a hundred times already!

Yup, that is really another issue. I tried to create a menu item, and it is terrible this way once you need to make it published, but even making it published, I didn't get to plublish the ads within the sub-categories using the positions commands. This stuff really needs to be reviewed. I don't know how it used to work with the previous version because I've never used ads, but it doesn't work for k1.6

Now, the weird stuff is... Is this Kunena we are posting here K1.6? I get to see that within the Kunena > Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla > Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

There is a AD.

If it is 1.6, how was it added?

Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by iLucato.

More
13 years 9 months ago #39 by sozzled

iLucato wrote: Now, the weird stuff is... Is this Kunena we are posting here K1.6? I get to see that within the Kunena > Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla > Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

I moved this discussion into the "miscellaneous" category the day that it was created (nearly three weeks ago) because I have no idea what we are discussing. When someone shows me a picture of what we're discussing, and if we should put this category elsewhere, then we'll consider moving it.

The subject is "How can I add an specific ID item # into a Kunena link?"

(1) Can we agree on what link we are discussing, please?
(2) Can we agree on what idemID we are discussing, please?
(3) Can we agree on what version of Kunena we are discussing, please?

Thank you :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #40 by Hellokunena
Ruth, did you ever solve this issue? I have a similar problem: I have a really nice joomla menu system that will link directly into a category and still show my joomla menus, but as soon as I reply to a topic or start a new thread my joomla menu module disappears.

As with you, my itemid does not carry through, and the thread is assigned it's own ID.

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds