Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to protect my forum from spam

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #121 by detailer
Hi all,

"Kunena Developers" :(

I have setup kunena and its live now but its not that papular yet but i notice have all spam bots registering on the site and posting new threads and posts .
I need to stop this , because its going to be used for big community and i hate spam there. Any solid spam protection? (Any joomla extension for this?)

Please guide. Thanks :(
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by detailer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #122 by 810

More
13 years 3 months ago #123 by detailer
I checked this extension in directory but there are 3 reviews and no one is satisfied with this extension, so i am not sured to use this extension?

What about your experience? because you guys are developers (no dought developed great forum extension) and know better for spam controlling....you think i should go Spam controller for kunena?

I also saw this one: extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-...curity/captcha/11964 ??

More
13 years 3 months ago #124 by sozzled
I am not a Kunena developer, the Kunena Spamkiller extension was not written as part of the Kunena project and is is not endorsed by the project at this time. We would be interested to hear the experiences of users about the Kunena Spamkiller product. People should write of their experiences with the Kunena Spamkiller product at the Joomla Extensions Directory or directly to the developer's website .

People should also be aware that the developer's website ( joomdonation.com/ ) uses Kunena 1.5.

This topic contains a lot of useful information about how to protect your website from spam.

More
13 years 3 months ago #125 by 810
yes, but now there is a new version, you can try that one, because the other product is only for guests, so the bot spammer will not be detected. because they registered a user.

regards 810

More
13 years 3 months ago #126 by detailer
Alrite, will give it a try!

What about "EasyCalcCheck PLUS"? It just add captcha into registration. I also add Google's Recaptcha yesterday so you think is it enough for spam protection? and i should relax now?

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #127 by sozzled
As I have written on numerous occasions, "the only effective remedy against spam is vigilance". You can "relax" but you should always be on your guard. You should be always vigilant but that doesn't mean that you should be paranoid. It's not the end of the world if someone posts a piece of spam on your website. The priority for you should be how to manage an acceptable level of that risk.

Some websites seem to attract more spam than others. Websites that involve online games, underground software distribution, anime, music and websites managed in certain parts of the world that lie outside of the tougher regulation that is imposed in most of the world ... these kinds of sites seem to be favoured by site crackers and spam merchants. Even Kunena.org is not immune to the occasional attempts at web vandalism. However you won't see too many successful spam postings here because of the vigilance of the moderation team.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #128 by Eoin
See below, install Alpharegistration and follow the instructions.

Since that day I have had zero spam, zero dud registrations, and 100% more time and happiness :) Ok my sites not mega busy (but it was before this spamspamspam), and it's Christmas, so no sites are mega busy, but hey. The spambots never sleep right? And it's stopped it, so I'm happy to recommend it. In fact tomorrow I will write a review on the Alphareg one to do that guy a favour for his good work.

=============QUOTE========== (from earlier in this post)
I immediately started getting spam. Even with any captcha extension installed. So I searched the JED for a better registration component and found AlphaRegistration. I installed it and it works great. Now I was still faced with a problem. Spam bots were still accessing the Joomla registration page. If I typed in the url for the regular Joomla registration, It would go right to it, not AlphaRegistration. www.alphaplug.com/index.php/products/alpharegistration.html

I found on a site how to force the regular Joomla registration to redirect to AlphaRegistration. this way, Spam bots could in no way access it. Hopefully this will hold them off a little better.

If You have AlphaRegistraition installed and face a similar problem, here is my solution.

Open components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php

The top lines will read.

<?php // no direct access
defined('_JEXEC') or die('Restricted access'); ?>

Change that too, providing Your using the core Joomla SEF

<?php // no direct access
defined('_JEXEC') or die('Restricted access');
$mainframe->redirect('../alpharegistration/register');
?>

Hopefully someone will find this usefull.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Eoin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bobthebob01

More
13 years 3 months ago #129 by arathra
I have another non-Kunena forum which is pretty big. We used to have a lot of spam problems but simply by making the first X posts from new users having to be moderated has cut it to 0. No spam at all on it.

Why? Well every so often a new user joins and tries to post some spam and we simply junk it and ban the user. Simple as that.

In my opinion it's the best possible way to go about thing and something I'd love to see on Kunena. It would make my life a lot easier on the Kunena forums I run!

More
13 years 3 months ago #130 by emlesnick
I tried to search so sorry if I missed it and it's elsewhere.
I just downloaded Kuena and am new to it and Joomla so excuse the ignorance.

I'm getting people signing up for the forum just to spam

How do I make it harder for them to sign up?

Can I make specific questions relevant to my site that they would have to answer and make them be approved my the administrator?

I'm sure these are answered out there somewhere but for the life of me I can't find them. If anyone can help out it'd be much appreciated!!

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds