Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Important Topic icon folder changes in K 4.0

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #1 by sozzled
As we all know, 99% of Kunena templates developed commercially (or privately) are based on Blue Eagle. The only Kunena template (that I am aware of) that is not based on Blue Eagle is the Crypsis template. (If this is not a true statement then perhaps one of the developers can tell me otherwise).

In K 3.0, the topic icons were located in the folders
  • /components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/topicicons/system
  • /components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/topicicons/user

In other words, the topic icons were located with the rest of the template files. This meant that people could use different topic icons with different Kunena templates.

In K 4.0, the topic icons are now located in the folders
  • /media/kunena/topic_icons/default/system
  • /media/kunena/topic_icons/default/user

This means that the K 4.0 Blue Eagle template shares the topic icon location as other Kunena templates (for example, Crypsis)!

Is there a logical reason why all Kunena topic icons in K 4.0 are now located in one common location and, if people want to use different templates, they will have to use the same topic icons for all their templates? Is it possible for people to use different topic icons depending on which Kunena template they are using?

If I have not misunderstood the changes this means that templates for Kunena cannot use their own, individual topic icons and, if people replace the files in the folders I referred to, then all topic icons for all Kunena templates they may want to use.

I would be grateful if someone can explain what has changed and the reason for the change, please.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by 810.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by 810
They are changed because, Now you have a option in the category manager select topic icons by category.

Example:

Questions category has questions icons
Xbox category has Xbox icons
PS4 category has ps4 icons.

The old behavior has just 1 icon pack. Now you can select by each category

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
This new idea overcomplicates the process. How do you explain to people where they need to upload their topic icons?

You give, as examples,

Questions category has questions icons
Xbox category has Xbox icons
PS4 category has ps4 icons.

What are the physical folder names associated with each category?

Is there any written user documentation for this change?
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
Also, what other changes must a forum owner make to associate topic icons with each category (for example, the XML file)?

Let's take, for example, an "icon pack" for a category called XBOX.

What are the "Easy as 1-2-3" instructions to (a) assemble the "topic icon package", (b) upload the assembled package and (c) change the category in the Kunena Category Manager to use this new topic icon package.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled
Is it very difficult to add topic icons to different categories? Is it possible to give some simple —as easy as 1-2-3— instructions as an example, please?

Also, could you please explain what editing you did to my original post in this topic?

More
8 years 10 months ago #6 by 810
You need to move your custom icons packs to media/kunena/topic_icons/your_topics

Included your icons and xml file.

If you have more packs like for games.

Then do like this:
media/kunena/topic_icons/gta
media/kunena/topic_icons/fifa
media/kunena/topic_icons/nfs
media/kunena/topic_icons/cod

Then go to category manager, select your category, then select the dir on the topic icon option. and do the same for the other categories.

I have moved your topic. wrong category and icon. Its not a bug.

More
8 years 10 months ago #7 by sozzled
Let me see if I have understood you correctly. Let's use the example of a topic "icon pack" called "XBOX".

1) Upload the files and place them in the folder /media/kunena/topic_icons/XBOX

2) Edit the file topic_icons.xml

3) Use the Kunena Category Manager (see the image below):

Is this all that you have to do?
Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #8 by 810
yes, the xbox dir will be visible in the list

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #9 by sozzled
Thanks.

As you know, the versions of K 4.0 that have been released to date use the topic icons from K 2.0. I will prepare a topic icon pack for K 3.0 and submit it here (after I have tested it, of course) with instructions on how people can use the K 3.0 topic icons instead of the K 2.0 topic icons that are included with the K 4.0 installation package.

More
8 years 10 months ago #10 by sozzled
I'm sorry but I cannot get this to work (the default K 4.0 topic icons override all categories)

I am attaching a zip file of the K 3.0 topic icon "package" (obviously, the files need to extracted first). Yes, the new folder name appears in the Kunena Category Manager, but it doesn't seem to work if you select that folder.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds