Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Protect design from Kunena upgrades

More
10 years 7 months ago #1 by makenoiz
What is the safest way to make aesthetic changes to the default template so that changes wont be eraseed upon upgrades?

Can I put an overrides somewhere outside of the com_kunena dir?

Kunena 3.0.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
There are two ways you can go about this:

(1) The easy way: if the changes you want to make are relatively simple changes to the standard Blue Eagle template, you can add your own CSS rules to the end of your Joomla site template. This is discussed in a lot more detail in Which CSS files handles template colors? and the same principles apply in K 3.0, too.

(2) The hard way: you can design your own Kunena template. The Kunena upgrade only affects the way that the originally-installed Blue Eagle template works; the upgrade process replaces all originally-installed files that are part of the standard installation but it does not change any files that you may have added or files that reside outside of those folders that are used as part of the standard installation. Because the installation/upgrade replaces the original files, if you modify any of those files your changes will be lost and you will have to make the changes again. If you create your own template then you won't have to worry about such things (except if Kunena changes in some way and your custom template is not equipped to deal with such changes) but this might only happen when upgrading to a major new release.

Does this information answer your question?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 7 months ago #3 by makenoiz
Yes thank you. Answers perfectly. I will go with option two and I understand what yo are saying about if Kunena Changes that Ill have to check my custom template to make sure it can accomodate the changes.

Thanks!

More
10 years 6 months ago #4 by afterburner
hello guys, it's possible to copy Blue_eagle folder and change the names of files with an blueeagle on my
?
Can you please tell which files you want to change?
I found these here :

1. template.php -

a) class KunenaTemplateBlue_Eagle to class KunenaTemplateMy
b) protected $default = array('blue_eagle'); to protected $default = array('my');

2. initialize.php

a) $cssurl = JUri::root(true) . '/components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/css';
to
$cssurl = JUri::root(true) . '/components/com_kunena/template/my/css';

what else needs to be changed, or I can work safely ?
thx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moonstone

More
10 years 5 days ago - 10 years 5 days ago #5 by Moonstone

afterburner wrote: hello guys, it's possible to copy Blue_eagle folder and change the names of files with an blueeagle on my
?
Can you please tell which files you want to change?
I found these here :

1. template.php -

a) class KunenaTemplateBlue_Eagle to class KunenaTemplateMy
b) protected $default = array('blue_eagle'); to protected $default = array('my');

2. initialize.php

a) $cssurl = JUri::root(true) . '/components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/css';
to
$cssurl = JUri::root(true) . '/components/com_kunena/template/my/css';

what else needs to be changed, or I can work safely ?
thx

Ah, perfect! I was trying to copy the Blue Eagle folder and use it as a template foundation to create my own, but couldn't figure out why it looked completely garbled. These changes fixed the issue!

Thanks, afterburner!
Last edit: 10 years 5 days ago by Moonstone.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds