Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved K 3.0.0: "Edit profile" button not working

More
10 years 9 months ago #1 by dbondeson
I've got a good handle on what's going on here; I just need some quick direction to help address is. I'm using a Nova Joomla template which uses a nice looking "title_span" script to change the first word of H2 titles to a different color. Unfortunately, it strips out links - and it's doing it with the "edit profile" link on users profiles.

It was doing the same thing for front-end editing in K2. I simply switched the location of the editor button to get it out from under the tags. (I cannot, for the life of me, find the actual script that makes these changes to disable it, and the developer has been wonderfully unhelpful.)

You can see the issue in the screen shot.

I'm running Kunena 3.0.0, and looking for the file which places the editor button. Any insight? Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
We must have dealt with hundreds of messages involving these Javascript "title span" script issues going all the way back to K 1.6. We make no comment about Joomla template developers who write Javascript that changes, interferes or conflicts with, or clobbers Joomla's Mootools Javascript library functions. That's not our problem .

The simple fact is that this is a Javascript-related problem. You will continue to experience these problems if you run that "nice-looking 'title_span' script" and I think you should ask yourself, " Which comes first? The template or the forum? "

K 3.0.0 has been retired. You should update to K 3.0.1.

More
10 years 9 months ago #3 by dbondeson
I have updated; thank you.

I understand your frustration, and the sentiment.

Let me be a little clearer: If I wanted to adjust the layout of the "User Profile" page in the Blue Eagle template, where would I find that file?

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
I apologise if I gave you the impression that I am frustrated. I am not frustrated. I appreciate how frustrated you must feel.

Let me make two important points here:

(1) It is not the responsibility of the Kunena project to rectify the problems caused by other Joomla templates. This is the whole point of the article My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena which is something you should read.

(2) The problems are caused by a Javascript conflict between a Joomla extension that loads something incompatible with Joomla. You have three options:
  • you can decide that your Joomla site template is more important than Kunena and use some other discussion forum product that works better with your Joomla site template; or
  • you can decide that Kunena is more important than your Joomla site template and use a different, compatible site template or the features that come with the site template that you're using; or
  • you can decide that it's worth the effort to diagnose and resolve the problems at your own expense which may involve asking the template developer to fix the source of the problem.

There are costs and consequences involved in all these options.

If you change the Kunena Blue Eagle template source code then you must bear in mind that ever time you upgrade Kunena you will have to make these changes again. Updates to Kunena occur fairly regularly and we know that some people find themselves "stuck", unable to update when it comes time to updating, because they've made lots of custom hacks to the source code.

When you really put your mind to it, how many times do you upgrade a Joomla site template extension?

So, consider the merits - the benefits and the costs - of reapplying the changes you're thinking of making to the Kunena source code.

dbondeson wrote:

If I wanted to adjust the layout of the "User Profile" page in the Blue Eagle template, where would I find that file?

I'm not exactly sure, myself, because I am not a developer - I'm just a user, like you - and I haven't attempted to hack source code in years because, for my purposes, it's just not worth the effort of maintaining the changes. I'm sure it won't take you a lot of time to search the folder ../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle somewhere in there should govern the layout.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 9 months ago #5 by dbondeson
Thank you, genuinely, for your replies! My frustration lies mostly with the template developer - it's nice to include flashy features, but if they might cause conflicts, at least provide a way to turn them off! And I certainly wasn't expecting this to be a Kunena fix; I was just hoping someone knew the file location. That seemed to me to be an appropriate forum topic.

I had switched templates at one point to avoid this issue, in part because it was conflicting with K2 as well, and I hadn't yet found a workaround. But I ended up switching back, because the overall styling is just too complete. I had also been promised an update from the developer; he never followed through though.

ANYWAY, my desire to dig into the Kunena source code is based mostly off the fact that I'm very limited in javascript, but I guess now is as good a time as ever to learn it.

Thanks! And if anyone else knows the file location, it would certainly save some poking around.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #6 by sozzled

dbondeson wrote: ... it's nice to include flashy features ...

... nothing is impossible, but every decision you make [to achieve what's possible] has a cost B)

dbondeson wrote: I had switched templates at one point to avoid this issue, in part because it was conflicting with K2 as well, and I hadn't yet found a workaround.

When you write "K2" you mean K2 , don't you?

If you are talking about Kunena version 2.0, we prefer the less-ambiguous abbreviation "K 2.0".

Rockettheme templates had a similar issue to this. Older Rockettheme templates had an option called Build Title Spans (which you could turn on or off) but even Rockettheme acknowledged that this caused problems and advised people using their templates with Kunena to turn off the feature and that future Rockettheme templates would not ship with this feature.

You are aware of the costs, the risks and the consequences. Good luck in your search.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 9 months ago #7 by dbondeson
For those interested in a template fix for this issue, it's on line 14 in /components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/html/user/default.php. Simply move the
Code:
</h2>
tag to close the
Code:
<span class="k-name">
class. Your code should look like this:
Code:
<h2><span class="k-name"><?php echo JText::_('COM_KUNENA_USER_PROFILE'); ?> <?php echo $this->escape($this->name); ?></span></h2> <?php if (!empty($this->editlink)) echo '<span class="kheadbtn kright">'.$this->editlink.'</span>';?>

If your template's "title_span" feature was anything like mine, it grabbed the h2 tag. Using this quick fix freed up the link.

Of course, as sozzled has noted, any template updates will force you to remake this change.

More
10 years 9 months ago #8 by sozzled

dbondeson wrote: Of course, as sozzled has noted, any template updates will force you to remake this change.

Every update - every new version release - of Kunena will require these changes to be reapplied.

The way to prevent having to reapply changes is to create your own Kunena template. Creating a new Kunena template is beyond the scope of this forum.

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds