Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Newbie - with several questions!

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #1 by feste
[strike]I have added kunena_report.txt as attachment.[/strike] (amended by moderator) These questions relate to Kunena 3.0.5 installed on lallans.co.uk running under Joomla 2.5.20

The website is concerned with Scots language/s and is unlikely to have a huge amount of traffic. Inclusion of a forum is felt to be a good thing as likely to boost interest in the website by enabling users to express views etc. The number of categories routinely covered will be limited. I anticipate a max from 6 to 10.

1. Somewhere I think I ticked a box saying 'allow Joomla login' but can't find where that was! as I think I need to reverse it. The effect I would like is to enable registered users of the website to be able to post without further login if that's possible.
2. The categories I have created have a 'locked' symbol but I can't see anywhere to 'unlock' them, nor see what if any point there is to having them locked?
3. Is there a basic online tutorial or demo for Kunena? I have looked at the FAQs.
4. The website already uses the EasyCalcCheck captcha plugin. Will it be ok to use this or should I use the Kunena's own captcha options?
5. Do I need reCAPTCHA public and private keys? I have no idea what they are! and the same with the API key?
6. Any other glaring errors would be good to hear about!

So far, the component seems just what is wanted on the website - so long as I can keep it relatively free of spammers!

Many thanks for any help and a huge pat on the back and thank you for the developers.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : Atomic-Lallans | author: Duncan Linklater | version: 2.5.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.5 | creationdate: 2014-03-09

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.5 | 2014-03-09 [ Invecchiato ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, feste, and welcome to Kunena.

It is really helpful to other people who use this forum if you keep a few basic things in mind:

1) Choose a meaningful topic name: the subject that you chose "Newbie - with several questions!" is not very meaningful because I'm sure that this could apply to anyone. I suggest that you read How to ask questions - the "smart" way . It's not only a courtesy to others, we have locked topics in that past that don't follow this basic guideline.

2) Learn how to post your configuration report. I do not "speak" or "read" BBcode (which is essentially what you've given us by attaching your configuration report as a text document). When you attach your configuration report in plain text, there are some things that probably should not be publicly viewable to guests and visitors to this forum. It also means that, as a moderator, I have had to remove what you attached, edit your original message and paste the BBcode into it. It's more work that I have to do before I can begin to answer your question. I suggest that look at the FAQs page to find out how to submit your configuration report in such a way that saves our time editing your posts in order to protect you.

3) It's a really good idea to search the forum to find answers to your questions. This is a self-help resource where people should expect to find answers to common questions about Kunena for themselves. Although we are happy to answer one, six or sixty questions from anyone, the first thing that we do is search the forum to see what has been written in the past. Therefore either you do it or someone else has to do it for you ... and it would save us all a lot of time if you do these things for yourself.

I will reply again very soon when I have repaired the damage you caused yourself when you gave us your configuration report as an attachment that no-one can make much sense of.

In response to the last question that you asked about "glaring errors", I assume that you would like us to review your configuration report to see whether anything stands out prominently as something we wouldn't recommend. I'll get back to you on that after I have edited your original post.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: feste

More
9 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
Initial comments - in relation to "glaring errors":

I do not see anything glaringly wrong with your configuration report. If you would like me to give you a detailed professional appraisal I am willing to do that for a small fee. ;)

I'll get back to you in relation to other matters you asked in this topic when I have researched them for you.

More
9 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Allow Joomla login

feste wrote: 1. Somewhere I think I ticked a box saying 'allow Joomla login' but can't find where that was! as I think I need to reverse it. The effect I would like is to enable registered users of the website to be able to post without further login if that's possible.

I think the answer to this issue is covered (in extensive detail) in the topic User registration and/or general login issues .

Basically the situation is this:
  1. Kunena is a Joomla extension.
  2. Access to the forum is controlled by Joomla.
  3. When people create an account at your site they login to your site with some kind of login process. Whatever login process they use to login to your website will also give them access to your forum.

And that's pretty much it. I'm not quite sure what you meant by wanting to "reverse" whatever you did but it doesn't really matter. If you give your users a place on your website where they can login then they're "logged in" to the forum.

Looking at your configuration report, you've set the option Plugin Manager » Kunena - Kunena » Allow Joomla Login = No. If you want to turn it back to it's origial setting, use the Plugin Manager in the backend, find the integration plugin I mentioned, and change the option.

More
9 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Locked categories

feste wrote: 2. The categories I have created have a 'locked' symbol but I can't see anywhere to 'unlock' them, nor see what if any point there is to having them locked?

Locking and unlocking forum categories is handled with the Kunena Category Manager in the backend.

You can also read about this in the topic Locked categories and "You do not have permissions to start new topic!" - (locked categories)

I hope this helps

More
9 years 10 months ago #6 by sozzled

feste wrote: 3. Is there a basic online tutorial or demo for Kunena? I have looked at the FAQs.

That's a pretty broad question. I am sure that there are many tutorials (text-based as well as videos) that people have produced over the years.

When you ask if there is a basic tutorial/demo, do you mean for the end user or do you mean for the forum administrator?

From the end user's perspective, you might find A basic forum help page for beginners suits your purposes.

From the administrator's perspective, I would suggest that you start with Simple forum setup instructions

I hope this helps

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #7 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena with EasyCalcCheck

feste wrote: 4. The website already uses the EasyCalcCheck captcha plugin. Will it be ok to use this or should I use the Kunena's own captcha options?

That's a question I don't feel qualified to answer because I have no experience with EasyCalcCheck . You might like to ask the developer of that extension on his forum which, by the way, is a Kunena forum. ;)

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #8 by sozzled

feste wrote: 5. Do I need reCAPTCHA public and private keys? I have no idea what they are! and the same with the API key?

I don't know whether the answer to this question is affected by the answer I gave to earlier. Information about how to use CAPTCHA in Kunena is available in Using CAPTCHA spam protection in Kunena as well as one or two topics posted on the forum.

I hope this helps.

More
9 years 10 months ago #9 by feste
Many thanks sozzled for your very detailed advice. I'm sorry I appear to have caused so much unnecessary work by my incompetent posting. Although I feel I could defend myself against several of your accusations, I am happy to take the 'kicking' as a small price well worth paying for the guidance. I don't work in IT myself, but am the unpaid webmaster for lallans.co.uk where the Kunena forum under discussion is installed. It is a live site on which I am experimenting with the forum and I am keen to avoid/minimize the attentions of spambots. [I know; you think I have done no homework on this but I assure you I have read the FAQ page - and others! - and realize that spambots are a fact of life etc.] But if moderating the thing becomes too onerous it will simply have to be ditched, which would be a shame for all concerned.

Many thanks again for the help.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #10 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic ... and in conclusion ...

feste wrote: I ... am the unpaid webmaster ... where the Kunena forum under discussion is installed.

Which is essentially no different to the small group of people who volunteer their time to keep this forum clean and focused on the needs of the community as a whole. ;)

feste wrote: [My site is] ... a live site on which I am experimenting with the forum and I am keen to avoid/minimize the attentions of spambots.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that some sites attract more attention than other sites.

A little "off-topic", perhaps but, as you opened this wide-ranging subject, you may be interested in learning from some of our experiences.

I have a very small website with four accounts. I do not wnat more than these four accounts. It is a website for testing Kunena. The four accounts are (a) the administrator account, (b) a "normal" unprivileged account, (c) a forum moderator's account and (d) a banned user's account. There is nothing on this site except for the Kunena forum.

There are 6 topics with a total of 41 messages posted on this forum. The first message was posted two months ago and the last message was posted 1 week ago. The messages are a collection of tests to demonstrate that Kunena's features operate; basically it's "me" posting to "myself".

The template is the standard, unmodified Joomla Beez20 template. No-one can join my website without obtaining my permission - in other words, "automatic" registrations have been disabled. I did not submit this website to Google for indexing.

Now that I hope you've gotten the picture - how utterly boring my website is (I'm sure you wouldn't be at all interested) - I receive about 3 emails every day in response to automated attempts to register accounts. In other words, in spite of all reasonable steps I've taken to not "advertise" the existence of this website, someone is interested in the challenge of trying to crash through the site's security.

Once upon a time I used to think that it was mainly a certain genre of websites that attracted spam but the reality is that any website can be the target of spam. Therefore, whether your website is for people who are interested in online gaming, gambling, videos (the areas that attract the most spam) or a site for the academic discussion of the Scottish language (an area that is likely to attract a narrow degree of following), spam can happen anywhere.

I encourage you to read How to protect my forum from spam .

"The only truly effective remedy against spam is vigilance." - sozzled, 25 May 2010

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds