Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Many emails to admin on same post

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #11 by sozzled

sozzled wrote: It is a coincidence that the user account involved in this case happens to be the administrator account.

Actually, I'm not sure that's actually what's happening in this case. :unsure:

I think that there's something else happening; something that we do not know about the problem site.

How many user accounts, used by you, do you have at your website? I am beginning to think that you have more than one account - one is the administrator account and the other is an "everyday" account. Of course, these two accounts need to be registered with different email addresses. The clue here may be which email address you are receiving these emails with?

The actual information that will resolve the entire question is contained in the database - in the table _kunena_user_categories

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #12 by sozzled
By the way, since you started this topic, K 3.0.5 has been released! Please upgrade to K 3.0.5 and please post your new, updated configuration report again.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #13 by achartier
You are correct that I use another account for normal usage and leave the super user account for special functions. the email associated with my normal account (43) is alex@ and the email associated with the super user account (42) is achartier@.

There are a number of entries in the _kunena_user_categories for ID 43, but no entries for ID 42. The notices however are addressed to the achartier@ email address which is associated with the super user account ID 42.

I have upgraded to 3.0.5 (I was at 3.0.4) and below is my configuration report:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Disabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 256M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : tk_responsi_free | author: ThemeKat | version: 1.0.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.5 | creationdate: 2014-03-09

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.5 | 2014-03-09 [ Invecchiato ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 1.9.1

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #14 by sozzled
Let me try to summarise my understanding of what emails can be generated by Kunena.

(1) Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Administrators

There are three possible values:

1. No = no emails are sent to the administrators
  2. Unapproved Posts = when a new message is posted to a category where Review Posts = Yes, an email is generated informing the administrator that there is a message to be approved. This is the default value.
  3. All New Posts = an email is sent to the administrators whenever there is a new message posted on the forum.

(1) Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Mderators

There are three possible values:

1. No = no emails are sent to moderators
  2. Unapproved Posts = when a new message is posted to a category where Review Posts = Yes, an email is generated informing the moderators that there is a message to be approved. This is the default value.
  3. All New Posts = an email is sent to the moderators whenever there is a new message posted on the forum.

(3) If you subscribe to a category. You will receive an email notifying you of messages posted in all topics in that category, depending on the setting

Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Category Subscriptions

which has three possible values:

1. Disabled = no category subscription emails are generated
  2. Email New Topics = e-mails will only be posted to category subscribers when new topics are created; users will not receive updates to those topics unless they subscribe to the topics individually (see note (4) below)
  3. Email New Posts = e-mails will be posted for all new postings made in categories that users are subscribed to (this is the default value)

(4) If you subscribe to a topic. You will receive an email notifying you of messages posted to the topics you subscribe to, depending on the setting

Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Topic Subscriptions

which has three possible values:

1. Disabled = no topic subscription emails are generated
  2. Email First Update = only one e-mail will be sent to subscribers saying that there are new posts in that topic; users will not receive updates to those topics unless they log in and read the topics individually
  3. Email Every Update = e-mails will be posted for all new postings made in categories that users are subscribed to (this is the default value)

(5) Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Visible E-mail Recipient

This information is not displayed in the configuration report for privacy reasons. The "help text" about this setting states

If a single subscription e-mail is sent to more than one recipient and E-mail Recipient Privacy = Hide Other Recipients (BCC), you should have a valid e-mail address in this field. Warning: this e-mail address will get all the e-mail sent by the forum. If no e-mail address is provided, subscription e-mails may be treated as spam.

Do you have something entered in this field?

I have to admit that I do not know how exactly what this setting does and I have never tried it myself. Perhaps this is why you are getting all those emails?
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #15 by sozzled
Problems often occur when people change the configuration settings. Most of the time, Kunena will work quite well without making any change to the configuration.

It is, perhaps, unfortunate that there is not a lot of detailed explanation about what each of the couple of hundred configuration settings do. Some settings work independently of one another but, in the case of subscriptions, you can see that some settings depend on other settings.

In cases where people make more changes to the configuration than they can remember, there is always the

option. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #16 by achartier
Here are my settings for those options:

(1) Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Administrators = Unapproved Posts
(2) Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Mderators = Unapproved Posts
(3) Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Category Subscriptions = E-Mail New Topics
(4) Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Topic Subscriptions = E-Mail First Update
(5) Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Visible E-mail Recipient = forum@....

Note: item 5, there is no email address forum@..., there is a catchall address script that does some redirection of unknown emails but there is nothing done with forum@ so anything to that address is simply dropped.

I would really prefer not to restore defaults as I have no idea what how that will affect the configuration.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #17 by sozzled
My first thought is to clear the setting (5)

Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Visible E-mail Recipient

On a personal note, I am a little disappointed that larrykaiser who posted - at msg #2 - has not engaged with us on this topic. Perhaps he found a cure for the issue and might be able to offer us some suggestions. I will be going away (leaving later today) overseas for about a week. It would be good to hope that, while I am away, someone is able to find the cause of this mysterious behaviour and let us all know!

Alernatively, when I return, there is always the option of following this matter through outside of the forum here.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #18 by achartier
OK, I have cleared that field and will monitor. My forum is not that busy as it is used only for a retirement community, may be a few days before I know any more.

Have a good trip.

More
10 years 1 day ago #19 by achartier
After a couple of weeks of making this change and some new posts the symptoms have changed somewhat. I no longer receive these many emails. However, now Kunena is pumping out 2 moderator emails to me but the To field in the header is blank so Kunena must be using my email address in the php mailer call but not including it in the headers (perhaps because the change to item 5??).

Furthermore, I am seeing 1 to 3 emails being sent to some address for the domain, again nothing in the To field so I do not know how they were addressed in the php mail command. I know this because I pipe all unknown email to a mail pipe and send debug info to me in order to capture misinformed email addresses by our residents.

Further ideas? Sozzled, if you would would like to take this offline please PM me and reply here. Thanks.

More
10 years 19 hours ago #20 by sozzled

achartier wrote: Further ideas? Sozzled, if you would would like to take this offline please PM me and reply here. Thanks.

We do not have a PM facility at this website. I am, however, willing to look more deeply into this matter with you in another way in a purely business way if that agrees with you. I have to eat, too, you know. ;)

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds