- Posts: 11
- Thank you received: 3
Kunena 6.0.8 Released (17 Jan 2023)
The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.0.8 [K 6.0.8] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.2.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.0 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 6.0.
The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural changes that occurred in K 2.0, many of the ideas in these topics will not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.
Solved Autosubscription Plugin
What I'm being asked for, is the function to autosubscribe users to all catagories and what you pointed out is that Kunena can check/uncheck the autosubscribe to topic option. While I appreciate the attempt to help, these do not accomplish the same thing.
I need for users to be automatically subscribed to all catagories, without having to manage their own subscription settings, and am hoping a developer is willing to produce this for a fee.
1. Find an event to attach the plugin to. I’m not sure about (onUserAfterSave)?
2. Get categories from: jos_kunena_categories.
3. Subscribe new user to current categories by writing t jos_kunena_subscriptions_categories
You can use Kunena Latest and set it up so all the latest posts are on a prominent location on your website.
Or, do your members want (as you said you are being asked) to be auto subscribed to all their posts and topics, in which case that can be set in the Kunena admin.
From what I conclude, the question arises because there are clearly two kinds of ways that people would like to use forums. One way is to encourage all users to visit the website and use the forum; this is the way that we run the forum here at www.kunena.org . As you can see, there is no "auto-subscription" feature here. People can subscribe to topics, or to categories, so that they will receive an email notifying them when there's been an update in those topics or categories, and then they can choose to participate in those areas where they may have an interest.
There is also another type of "forum" where the users primarily use email as the means to communicate important information or news for the benefit of those communities. In some of these forums, it's quite important - maybe it's even necessary - for people to subscribe and (from the point of managing these communities) it would be an advantage if people were subscribed, automatically, as the order-of-the-day.
The fact is that there's no feature at the moment to do this auto-subscription in Kunena. The Kunena project team has a long-term view to make this possible in the future. The project team also welcomes the work done by others, privately sponsored work, to make this a reality and to include this auto-subscription feature as part of a future version(s) of Kunena. Unfortunately, given the small number of people who have volunteered their time to develop Kunena, the project team does not have the resources available at the moment.
This leaves us with two choices:
(1) To encourage your users to subscribe to topics in important categories. For example, we encourage all members of this community to subscribe to the category Official Announcements and News about Kunena . However, as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"; the same is true here: people are encouraged to subscribe; if they choose not to subscribe, that's their choice.
(2) To build a feature that allows site owners/forum managers to auto-subscribe all new members of the community to all categories. By the same token, it's my opinion that this method should also permit community members to opt-out from those subscriptions that they have been subscribed to.
For background reading on this discussion, see [Merged Topic] Automatically subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages . I think it's imporatant that people should read some of the comments that the community has made on this subject.
As far as whether someone has the time and interest to build this feature for kylepond, that's for people to offer to do this. We believe that it will be easier to achieve this after K 2.0 is released but, if someone is prepared to do something in the meantime, that would be a good idea to make it viable in K 1.7, too.