Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved Display PDF in Forum Post

More
8 years 6 months ago #1 by freedomcoach
For a long time now I've wanted to be able to display PDF docs inside a Forum post. I'm still hoping there's a way to do this since a lot of my users are not able to convert PDFs to JPGs. Please advise HOW to do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #2 by freedomcoach
I added pdf to the allowable file extensions but this still only gives me the ability to add a pdf as an attachment, not as a displayed image in the forum post. PLEASE let me know how to make a pdf appear visually in the post.

More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Display PDF in Forum Post
G'day. I "answered" this question in a kind of roundabout way a year-and-a-half ago, when I wrote:

It is not possible ... to embed a PDF reader into the forum so that PDF files can be viewed within the forum (in the same way as it's possible to embed a video player to watch videos, or the eBay viewer to look at eBay advertisements) but it is possible to attach .PDF files to messages posted on the forum. These attachments can then be downloaded by your users and they can view them if they have a PDF viewer (e.g Acrobat Reader) installed on their own computer.

As far as I know, this is still the case.

More
8 years 6 months ago #4 by freedomcoach
Hi Michael:

I understand and accept that this is not possible. I am now directing my users to convert their PDF docs to JPEGS and then embedding them in their posts. Its just one extra step but a critical one at that.

Attachments and downloads of PDFs will not work in my situation. They defeat the whole idea of the forum being interactive with the contents of posts. If you understood the nature of my Life Crafting program it would probably make more sense to you.

I'm actually having my users do their exercises in google docs which offer a shared environment with tables, formatting and other graphical elements, then when complete export to PDF, convert to JPG and post in Kunena forum. If you see any way of shortening this process, let me know.

I am using the code tag in my forum to create embedded templates users can copy/paste into new posts and this is now creating a true collaborative space too for co developing discoveries and new information.

More
8 years 6 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Display PDF in Forum Post
I understand what you mean. The "extra step" involved is to click the .PDF attachment—to then open it or download it to their own computer. I'm not sure how this is such a major hurdle but I have to confess, I tend to avoid uploading PDF documents on discussion forums. They don't open inline and I don't think I've seen any discussion forum where a PDF document does open inline.

If it's a requirement for people to display images inline within the forum, JPEG format—to put it mildly—is not "aesthetically" pleasant. PNG format is, perhaps, a little better.

I'm taking a bit of a sabattical from things at the moment and concentrating on matters that are a little closer to home. Perhaps someone else in the community has a similar interest to yours or, perhaps, the developers and/or moderators of this forum may have another suggestion for you. Good luck, mate.

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds