Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved We don't see an approve post anymore

More
8 years 7 months ago #1 by dianaNashif
Hi,
We are having trouble approving posts as we moderate all posts in our forum. Used to be that you selected approve and that was it. Now we have to select the user and approve their posts, but it sometimes approves and then not. All we see is a proceed button and it goes to the same page.

Can you give us instructions on how the do this?

www.standupgirl.com

I have search the net and your forum but no information on current version for my issue.

Thank you,
Diana

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 600 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 4096M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : rt_metropolis | author: RocketTheme, LLC | version: 1.8 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 4.0.5 | creationdate: 2015-08-17

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 4.0.5 | 2015-08-17 [ Turnau ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: Jomsocial 4.0.8

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: Kunena Latest 3.1.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, Diana,

There are a few simple tips to address the age-old problem of knowing where to look when messages are posted in a category that has been marked Review Posts = Yes. Surprisingly, even the people who manage the forum here sometimes forget to use some of these simple techniques.

The first approach (and probably the easiest to implement) is to use the configuration setting Configuration » Security » Security Settings » E-mail Moderators = Unapproved Posts

There are positives and negatives about the effects of this setting. If you have a very busy forum — let's say 50+ messages per day — your forum moderators will each receive emails about every new message posted in your "reviewed categories". If, as you say, all of your forum categories are set up this way, that's the bulk of your work taken up with handling the incoming email traffic. Further, if you have several moderators involved in sifting through the forum activity, the emailing exercise is likely to be counter-productive.

Emailing forum moderators is useful in cases where there is low-level forum activity or when there the forum moderation "team" involves one or two people. In cases where there forum activity is higher (sometimes warranting several people to help with moderating the discussions), some people will attend to the emails (and the approval procedure) before others have a chance to read theirs and the consequence is to break down the moderation team's cohesiveness.

The question, therefore, is "What's an easy way to discover the new messages posted on the forum that need to be approved?" One answer is to create a menu item that lists all messages requiring moderator approval. The problem is to educate and encourage your forum moderators to use this menu item. A couple of years ago I did that here; I created a menu item that forum moderators could use to locate all unapproved messages posted on the forum. You will have to ask the current management team at this site if that menu item is still accessible today.

How to create a menu item for your moderators to locate new posts requiring approval

1. Go to Menus » Kunena Menu » Add New Item
  2. Select the menu type Kunena Forum » Recent Posts
  3. Enter "Unapproved Posts" as the Menu Title
  4. Select View = Unapproved Posts
  5. Access = Special

Using this menu item, when you see the list of the messages requiring approval you will be able to view each message individually (and approve each of them individually) or you can select all or some of the posts (with the checkbox option) and approve all of them in one hit with the jumpstart/selection tool at the foot of the page.

Yeah, I can relate to your frustration about the lack of adequate documentation on how to proceed with this. I hope that some of what I've written will help you.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #3 by rich

sozzled wrote: Yeah, I can relate to your frustration about the lack of adequate documentation on how to proceed with this.

Before you criticize, you should read the questions. and not only the headline. The problem is that approval does not work.

@dianaNashif

Now we have to select the user and approve their posts, but it sometimes approves and then not. All we see is a proceed button and it goes to the same page.

Why must you do this in the user profile?
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rich.

More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by dianaNashif
Thank you Sozzled...I do have both you suggestions in place but something is weird now. I have our moderators all set to global. Should I select all categories instead for each?

More
8 years 7 months ago #5 by dianaNashif
Because you can not approve otherwise.

There is nothing that says a post was actually approved.

And what does the proceed button do? Click on it and you get the same edit page. Confusing........

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled

dianaNashif wrote: Thank you Sozzled...I do have both you suggestions in place but something is weird now. I have our moderators all set to global. Should I select all categories instead for each?

I'm not sure how to respond after rich suggested that my contribution was [unwarranted] "criticism". As I said, I'm just trying to help. Ideally there should be a readily accessible guide to step people through the approval process but, given the relatively recent decision to exclude public contributions to the Wiki we will have to make do in whatever other ways we can.

I'm surprised that you are unable to approve posts. I'm surprised that you "click on [the user profile page] and you get the same ... page" with no apparent feedback that your action/intervention achieved anything.

I've been using the [menu] method I outlined earlier for some time. I've tested it and it works for me.

Getting back to your approach, I confess that I haven't used the visit-the-poster's-profile-to-approve-pending-messages approach for several years and I'm unfamiliar with the "proceed" button. Therefore, I carried out a test to see how it works on a test site. I could not find a button labelled "proceed".

I could write more but I don't want to dominate this topic. You're right, however; it's a little "confusing", isn't it? :dry:
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 7 months ago #7 by sozzled
Just a thought: I think we've spoken before on Skype. I might be able to assist you in that way, if you like.

Time to create page: 0.698 seconds