Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved K 4.0 + Kunena Discuss 3.0.7: Guest can post: this feature doesn't work well if Joomla caching or Cache Plugin is enabled!

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1 by sozzled
Can someone please explain why Kunena Discuss "does not work" for guest replies if Joomla caching is enabled?

Screenshot of Kunena Discuss 3.0.7 with debug enabled:
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
I am still wondering if anyone has an explanation why the Kunena Discuss plugin requires Joomla caching to be turned off if you want to enable guest replies.

More
8 years 8 months ago #3 by sozzled
As mentioned in another topic , Kunena Discuss 3.1 has been released. I am yet to test this new version but I still wonder if there is the same restriction—i.e. Joomla caching needs to be disabled—in order to be able to use Kunena Discuss to allow guests to post comments on articles and, if there is, why is this the case?

I would still like an answer to this basic question, please.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #4 by sozzled
I have now spent about an hour testing Kunena Discuss 3.1 with Joomla caching enabled and with Joomla caching disabled.

1) If Joomla caching is enabled and a guest tries to post a comment about a Joomla article, the comment disappears — there is no record of it anywhere — and no messages are posted to the forum.

2) If Joomla caching is disabled and a guest tries to post a comment about a Joomla article, then the message is posted to the forum.

It is not simply a case of "this feature doesn't work well if Joomla caching or Cache Plugin is enabled"; Kunena Discuss does not work at all (for guests) if Joomla caching is enabled. There seems to be something not quite right with the source code (at around lines 545-548) in ../plugins/content/kunenadiscuss/kunenadiscuss.php
Code:
// Process the QuickPost form $quickPost = ''; $canPost = $this->canPost($category, $topic); if ($canPost && $plgShowForm && (!$closeTime || $closeTime >= $now)) { if (JFactory::getUser()->get('guest')) { $this->debug("showPlugin: Guest can post: this feature doesn't work well if Joomla caching or Cache Plugin is enabled!"); } if (JRequest::getInt('kdiscussContentId', -1, 'POST') == $row->id) { $this->debug("showPlugin: Reply topic!"); $quickPost .= $this->replyTopic($row, $category, $topic, $subject); } else { $this->debug("showPlugin: Displaying form"); $quickPost .= $this->showForm($row, $category, $topic, $subject); } }
but I cannot quite put my finger on what is wrong or why the if-test exists in the way it's written.

I started this topic more than 6 weeks ago. I note that there has been no input from anyone on this matter. The "solution" therefore is to ensure that you disable Joomla caching on your website if you want to use Kunena Discuss.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by sozzled. Reason: include source code snippet

More
8 years 6 months ago #5 by sozzled
After more than two months (and no response from the developers) I am marking this topic as unresolved.

I think that the only lesson we can learn is this:

If you want to use Kunena Discuss plugin with your forum to allow "guest posting", you must disable Joomla caching first.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds