Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics must relate to a currently supported version of Kunena. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Non-moderator users are getting kunena emails

More
2 years 2 months ago #1 by tiqpal
Hello,
Many of my users in Kunena are Enabled but they are not Moderators. They are not assigned any topics to moderate, but they are still getting the Kunena emails sent by the system.
As Joomla users, they are all Publishers, as this website is essentially a help documentation site and they are contributors. I have not changed the standard Joomla Groups or Access Levels.
Finally, in the user interface in Kunena, these uses are listed as Administrator. What is going on? I cannot find any documentation.
Many thanks in advance!
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #2 by rich
Only Joomla admins also get admin rights in Kunena. Do these users also have admin rights in the forum, or is only the rank Administrator displayed?
Emails are also sent to registered users when a topic or category has been subscribed.

More
2 years 2 months ago #3 by tiqpal
Thanks, Rich.
The users are ranked as Administration in Kunena - I don't seem to be able to change that.
The users are Publishers in Joomla, not  Administrators. (and I have not changed out-of-the box Joomla user groups.)
I have one user who is an Author in Joomla and a Moderator rank in Kunena - he did not get all of the extra emails.
I honestly do not see how to make someone an Administrator in Kunena or change their Rank.
Finally, it seems that the users were created when they created their Joomla (website) account. I changed a few user group profiles in Joomla (removed them fron the group Publisher and made them Authors) but the change is not reflected in Kunena. I tried to Resync users, but still no change.

I hope this info helps

More
2 years 2 months ago #4 by rich

Do these users also have admin rights in the forum, or is only the rank Administrator displayed?

Unfortunately you did not answer this most important question. I need to know if these users are only shown as admins, or if they can also edit posts from other users, for example.

I honestly do not see how to make someone an Administrator in Kunena or change their Rank.

This is not possible. Administrators can only be created in Joomla. Kunena has no own user management, it takes over the users from Joomla. But Authors, Publisher and Editors, are in Kunena only normal registered users.

I have one user who is an Author in Joomla and a Moderator rank in Kunena - he did not get all of the extra emails.

This reinforces my suspicion that they are subscription mails.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #5 by tiqpal
How can I tell if a user is an Admin or has Admin rights in Kunena?

The one user in question 
1. Is not a Moderator: 
2. Has no category or topic subscriptions:
3. I accepted the defaults for Forum settings:
4. His Rank is Administrator: not sure how that happens
5. He is an Editor in Joomla: (he was a Publisher)
6. Joomla groups look like this:
I hope this

Thanks,

Pat
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by tiqpal. Reason: Images that I inserted do not seem to work...

More
2 years 2 months ago #6 by tiqpal
Hello,
I have done some more investigating.
When a new user Registers on my site their Rank is New Member and Kunena behaves as expected including topic subscriptions, et al.
When I promote a user to Author, they remain Rank: New Member. If I make that user a Moderator, I can select the category and the user gets the topic notifications as expected.
If, however, I promote user to Editor (remember I have not changed Joomla User Groups: order is Registered->Author->Editor->Publisher) as soon as I promote to Editor the user becomes Rank: Administrator in Kunena and starts getting emails for ALL topics, regardless of which topic(s) the user is a Moderator for. (promoting to Publisher results in the same result -a they become Rank: Administrators.)
This is the problem I have.
My users need to be Publishers - they are writing and publishing content - but they only moderate topics in their own specific area of expertise.
Thank you for looking into this.

Pat

More
2 years 2 months ago #7 by rich

If, however, I promote user to Editor (remember I have not changed Joomla User Groups: order is Registered->Author->Editor->Publisher) as soon as I promote to Editor the user becomes Rank: Administrator in Kunena and starts getting emails for ALL topics, regardless of which topic(s) the user is a Moderator for. (promoting to Publisher results in the same result -a they become Rank: Administrators.)

If it behaves like this, then go to Joomla configuration and check the permissions. Click on the Author tab, he must not have permission to access the administration interface and also no permission for the superuser.
Check the same for the Editor and the Publisher (see image).

More
2 years 2 months ago #8 by tiqpal
Ahh,,, I see.
Our users do access the administrator backend as they create articles and menu items, etc. I expected that only a Joomla Administrator would be an Administrator in Kunena, and that Moderators would only receive emails for the categories they are responsible for.
You are saying that anyone accessing the Administrator backend is an Administrator in Kunena. Hmmmmm.
This is a problem then. I don't know how I will work around

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #9 by rich
"Administrator Login" and "Access Administration Interface" are not the same. If the Access Administration Interface is allowed for publishers, they have admin rights for the whole website. This is wrong and dangerous.With the Joomla default setting, editors and publishers have backend access, but not administrator rights. These are not needed by editors and publishers for their work. I have now also created 2 images for you to see the correct settings for editors and publishers. The settings for the author you can see on my picture in the previous post.

Editor

Publisher  

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by rich.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10 by tiqpal
Hello Rich,
"Administrator Login" and "Access Administration Interface" are not the same. If the Access Administration Interface is allowed for publishers, they have admin rights for the whole website. This is wrong and dangerous.
This is not my understanding. If a user has Access Administrator Interface but does NOT have Super User Access (In Global Config settings) the user can access the backend, administer users, create new menu items, articles, et al(if you want - this can all be controlled) but the user CANNOT access Global Configuration settings in the back end. Thus they do not have access to the whole site, cannot access system settings, server settings, etc. 
I have tried changing the settings as you suggest but when I do my user cannot see any menu items in the back end. They cannot create menu items, articles, etc. Why have access to the backend at all in that case?

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds