Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Spacing between Sticky Topics - what determines spacing?

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #1 by GJSchaller

In this example, there's spacing between some of the topics, but not others.

This is a Blue Eagle variant, with CSS applied (but no template changes otherwise, such as to the files themselves).

I can't figure out for the life of me what the difference is. I have a sneaking suspicion it may be related to the fact that I migrated these forums off of SMF, and these posts are different for some reason, but I don't know how / why...

Can anyone enlighten me as to why some are spaced, and some are not?

Thank you!

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by GJSchaller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
The spacing may have to do with the template module positions . :dry:

More
11 years 8 months ago #3 by GJSchaller
Heh, thanks.

I guess my question should be refined as - how does one remove the module positions, or otherwise remove the spacing if no modules are in use? It looks odd that there are gaps without content at random places in the listing.

(Looking for a way to do this without altering the template files - CSS may be the best way, but I am making sure I am not missing something.)

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
11 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled

GJSchaller wrote: How does one remove the module positions, or otherwise remove the spacing if no modules are in use?

You have to modify the PHP that's used in your template. There's a fairly standard technique in Joomla to create "collapsible" module positions. You can easily find out the answer to that question on the Joomla forum site .

Interestingly, I visited the website (the one linked in your signature) and, using Firefox 14.0.1, I did not see the spacings between the sticky topics in the one forum category that I examined. Have you found the cause and fixed it?

More
11 years 7 months ago #5 by GJSchaller
I did, I used display:none on the Div used for the modules. It's a workaround since I don't use advertisements, but it's sloppy for people who may choose to use them in the future, as it will either hide the ads, or leave spaces if those positions are not filled.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

More
11 years 7 months ago #6 by snilloconator
Find the following code in your kunena.forum.css also the minified.
Code:
#Kunena .kcontenttablespacer { border-bottom: 1px solid; border-left: 0 none; border-right: 0 none; line-height: 0.5em; }

try changing to...
Code:
#Kunena .kcontenttablespacer { border-bottom: 1px solid; border-left: 0 none; border-right: 0 none; display: none; }

More
11 years 7 months ago #7 by sozzled
That could work, too. I will see what happens using those ideas at K.org later. Thanks, snilly. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snilloconator

More
11 years 7 months ago #8 by sozzled
While the following code (added to the end of your Joomla site template CSS file, do not edit/modify kunena.forum-min.css file) will remove the spacing between sticky topics
Code:
#Kunena .kcontenttablespacer { display: none; }
... it also means that if you use Google AdSense to place banner ads in the Kunena module positions , the ads won't appear either. This may not be entirely suitable for those people who want to insert modules into those places.

More
11 years 7 months ago #9 by snilloconator

sozzled wrote: That could work, too. I will see what happens using those ideas at K.org later. Thanks, snilly. :)

No problem sozzled. I agree it would be better to add to template.css

More
11 years 7 months ago #10 by sozzled
If you meant "it would be better to add it to the template", and you were talking about a "quick-fix" CSS change, then I would disagree that "quick-fix" CSS changes should be applied to kunena.forum-min.css.

If you meant that "it would be better, in the longer term, to redesign the Kunena template so that these things did not happen" then, I agree. It would be better to properly fix such tricky problems as these by redesigning the Kunena template so that these spaces automatically collapsed upon themselves if they weren't being used as place-holders for other modules. For that reason alone, "display: none" is not a very practical solution in the long-run. :)

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds