Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Question Javascript pop-up error

More
11 years 9 months ago #1 by mikefriendly
I and my members are getting the error shownin the screenshot below only in IE 8.

It seems to occur as the mouse pointer goes over the Kunena menu.

Kunena 2.0.0
Joomla 2.5.4

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #2 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Javascript pop-up error
What does more details reveal? The error happens in Mootools library, but could be caused by illegal parameter from Kunena. Or not..

More
11 years 9 months ago #3 by mikefriendly
Thanks for the reply Mathias.
The more details simply closes the box with no further information.

I have upgraded my Joomla to 2.5.6 by the way but the same error is still there.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Javascript pop-up error
Judging by the design of the JavaScript alert message, this is not only IE8 but this is IE8 on Win XP, yes? Sounds to me that the JavaScript interpreter for IE8 has not been updated to handle the Mootools library for J! 2.5.6. Although the technical specificiations for K 2.0.0 state that Kunena should work for IE8, we have to remember that old, tired, worn-out and has-been Microsoft software just doesn't "cut the mustard" with modern web design these days. As much as we would like to see Kunena work on every browser platform that people could possibly imagine, the project is constrained by the cross-browser compatibility code - handled by JavaScript - available in Joomla. In this case, it's what is available in Mootools.

What do the Mootools developers have to say about J! 2.5.6 on IE8 under WinXP?

I mean, we have to acknowledge that even Microsoft doesn't support IE8 these days, let alone does it not support WinXP! :whistle:
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 9 months ago #5 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Javascript pop-up error
I've read that there are many issues with IE and it's backward compatibility modes. By changing some of the IE settings, issue may go away. Have you tried to use IE8 in more than one computer?

More
11 years 8 months ago #6 by mikefriendly
Yes and the problem occurs in IE9 as well.

One point which I should have mentioned is that the upgrade failed and I had to copy over some Kunena files manually.

Is there a was that I can upcompress Kunena 2.0.1 and manually upload and overwrite the files?

Can one of you possibly take a look at my www.buzz50.com site in IE8 for me?

Thnaks,
Mike

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #7 by sozzled
I don't have access to a WinXP system running an original version of IE8. Therefore, the only test I could run was on a Win7 system with IE9 simulating IE8 and, as far as that test went, I had no problems when I hovered the mouse over the Kunena menu. It is, however, clear to that you have a Javascript "software soup" whose ingredients are overpowering one another.

Let me put these issues into perspective. In msg #1 of Before you post your question, read this first we discuss various issues that cause the non-performance of Kunena on people's websites. If one studies the "form guide" over the past few years, it's a safe bet that as one introduces another Javascript library into the mix, the probability that it will not co-operate with others increases until it becomes a certainty.

Joomla needs the following Javascript libraries in order to work
Code:
<script src="/media/system/js/mootools-core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
Kunena adds two more
Code:
<script src="/media/kunena/js/mediaboxAdv-min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/default-min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
That's the minimum set needed to run Kunena in J! 2.5. In a "vanilla-flavoured" J 2.5 website using the Beez5 template, the total number of Javascript libraries running (when Kunena is loaded) is 7.

In your case, however, I counted a total of 24 Javascript libraries, any one of which could be responsible for clobbering Mootools in an Internet Explorer environment.

Although I did not encounter any problems (in the 10 minutes that I spent looking at your site) with Firefox - I'm not saying that there aren't Javascript conflicts even for Firefox, it's just that I didn't find any - I did encounter the Javascript errors with IE9. Several elements on your Kunena pages, when clicked, produce the same "Invalid Argument ../media/system.js/mootools-core.js [at] line 354" errors.

What's the solution? Ultimately this is a decision that only you can make. I suggest you read Which came first? The template or the forum? and then look at the practical guide given in msg #1 of Before you post your question, read this first .

When you say "at one point your upgrade failed" I think we should be discussing those issues in a separate topic where we can give it the focus it requires, rather than diffusing the focus away from the principles on which Javascript operates in an Internet Explorer galaxy "far far away". ;)
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Corrected URL
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikefriendly

More
11 years 5 months ago #8 by mo2mo
Replied by mo2mo on topic Javascript pop-up error
Hi,

i'm just a simple user, maybe thats the reason, but i have no access rights for 'Which came first? The template or the forum?' www.kunena.org/forum/154-miscellaneous-o...emplate-or-the-forum .

Best regards,
mo

More
11 years 5 months ago #9 by sozzled
I made an error in the URL references earlier. Try it again now.

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds