Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question [RESOLVED] "Extra" information about forum user

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #1 by sozzled
I'm curious to know whether it's a feature of Kunena, how does the extra information appear about a forum user, used by some members of this community, when the message is displayed, thus:
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #2 by cowboysdude
Yes... while in the forum up at the top it says "MY PROFILE" Open that ..

GO to MY PROFILE INFO on the left

At the VERY TOP on the Right [Personal Text] you can enter any text that will fit there and there you go... the 'extra information' you are asking about!!

B)

Hope that helps!! Enjoy

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3 by sozzled
Thanks. It ought to be simple but I can't see it.

From your description of the solution, clicking "My Profile" should take me to whatever user profiling extension is used with the site. In the case of www.kunena.com , this is JomSocial, right? (On my websites I use Community Builder, but I don't think this is has any bearing on the discussion.)

OK, so I click "My Profile" and I'm taken to my [ JomSocial ] page but there's no MY PROFILE INFO on the left (or anywhere else on that page) that I can see. :pinch: After that, the rest of your instructions are meaningless. :(

This extra, "personal information text" is a rather cute feature and probably helps sell Kunena ... or the other Joomla user profiling systems ... ;)

So, I'm sorry, but I'm still no closer to finding the answer.

More
15 years 1 month ago #4 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:
It's Kunena feature and you need to go to Kunena internal profile. Just turn off integration, go to My Profile, copy the URL and turn integration back on.

Now you can put that link to somewhere in your site and users can add that info. :)

Not perfect, but we will have much improved integration soon, which will contain all the fields in Kunena.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #5 by sozzled
A-ha! Now we're beginning to make some sense! B)

Matias wrote:

It's Kunena feature and you need to go to Kunena internal profile. Just turn off integration, go to My Profile, copy the URL and turn integration back on.

I tried your suggestion, Matias, and it works perfectly!

I didn't understand "copy the URL", but it doesn't matter. In fact, it works so well, I wonder why people would want to use integrate profiling with other products? I decided not to turn integration back on again.

On my website I use Community Builder for the registration/login process. This automatically populates the Kunena user database with basic Joomla user registration data. CB allows the users to upload avatar images - I realise that Kunena does, too - but, more importantly, CB allows my users to see a list of all the members. The only other benefit that CB offers, in terms of using the forum, is that the CB tab allows users to see the last 5 (say) messages that a user posted. If you want to browse through everything that a user posted, users can look at the Kunena profile.

Perhaps other people have views on whether to use a third-party profile integration when they deploy Kunena or whether it's probably better, in the long run, to use the Kunena user profile system?

As far as www.kunena.com is concerned, this site has chosen to integrate the Kunena forums with JomSocial (I think) and that's why cowboysdude's instructions earlier (#6325) made no sense.

Thanks, heaps! :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #6 by cowboysdude
Replied by cowboysdude on topic Re:
MUCH better explanation than mine!! LOL It's funny because we know how to do something we at times omit information... sorry if that wasn't clear...

B)

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #7 by sozzled
Thanks for trying to help, cowboy :)

My original question was related to the operation of www.kunena.com , although there's an obvious extension of the application to one's own website if Kunena provides it. I'm satisfied on both of these matters.

However, it would be good if other people would share their experiences on the question I asked:

... whether to use a third-party profile integration [with] Kunena or whether it's ... better to use the Kunena user profile system?

More
15 years 1 month ago #8 by Mr Livered
Replied by Mr Livered on topic Re:
sozzled wrote:

However, it would be good if other people would share their experiences on the question I asked:

... whether to use a third-party profile integration [with] Kunena or whether it's ... better to use the Kunena user profile system?

I'm thinking it depends on what your site does. On mine Kunena + UddeIM are the main components, and the Kunena profile (especially since it is integrated with UddeIM anyway) is great.

I'm thinking of adding more user-related features, namely user blogs and image galleries, and if I go with that I'm going to want all of a user's stuff to be held together by one single profile - hence the exploration of CB.

More
15 years 1 month ago #9 by cowboysdude
Replied by cowboysdude on topic Re:
sozzled wrote:

Thanks for trying to help, cowboy :)

My original question was related to the operation of www.kunena.com , although there's an obvious extension of the application to one's own website if Kunena provides it. I'm satisfied on both of these matters.

Well I will say this.. it confuses your users... Right now I'm using a PM system, Kunena and CB... I'm thinking of just using CB for the registration and ending the profile part because users ask the same questions you are asking...LOL SO for a time I'm turning off CB Profiles and using the Kunena profile to end the confusion!

I hope that helps! B)

More
15 years 1 month ago #10 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Choosing a profiling system
Thank you. Your comments were very helpful. :)

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds