Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Kunena and Community Builder

More
15 years 9 hours ago #1 by PR1821
Greetings- I'm new to both Joomla and Kunena and in fact, have not yet installed Kunena on my Joomla 1.5 site. My question relates to Community Builder, which I am also installing this weekend.

Simply- Is there a preferred order by which these two applications should be installed? CB first, the Kunena or vice-versa? I want to accomplish the best possible integration with the least possible hassle...

thanks to anyone who can advise...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 hours ago - 15 years 4 hours ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, and thank you for your question, PR1821. A couple of days ago I created a brand-new, totally clean Joomla 1.5.10 website. I've used the following components:
  1. Community Builder (V1.2) - for user registration and login
  2. uddeIM V1.6 - personal messging
  3. JoomGallery V1.5 RC2 - image gallery
  4. Kunena V1.0.9
  5. ObjectClarity Discussbot (V1.0.8g)
The basic website construction work is finished; two days; all integration work is successfully completed.

It's not essential in what order you complete things, but because several of these products work together with Community Builder (and because CB is what I wanted for user registration) I installed that one first. However, because I wasn't really interested in using Community Builder for the user profiling in Kunena, I didn't even attempt to integrate CB with Kunena except to the point of using CB avatars in Kunena. What a blessed relief!

As soon as you make the decision that you won't attempt to use CB user profiles to "manage" the forum, everything just slots into places hassle-free. As soon as you accept that your site users will effectively have two user profiles (one for CB and one for Kunena) and that they won't be using one to manage the other ... your home-free. However, the moment you go down the integration road, that's when you will turn sweet bliss into a living nightmare. In a nutshell, if you enable the cbsimpleboardtab plugin, with or without the modifications that we've discussed at Kunena.com on dozens of occasions previously, then you're in for a lot of headaches.

To finish my story, I installed the components in the order I listed them. It doesn't really matter how you do it - you can always revisit the first-installed components to enable certain features that depend on missing components later.

Lastly, out-of-the box Kunena 1.0.9 is fantastic! Just follow the couple of configuration tips that I helped prepare ... and you're set to go!

Cheers
Last edit: 15 years 4 hours ago by sozzled.

More
15 years 3 hours ago #3 by grumblemarc
The short and quick, in case you missed it, is there is no particular order in which these are installed. Configuration, on the other hand, can be tricky.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4 by PR1821
Soz- Thank you for taking the time to give me the answer I was waiting for. It is gold. I had no idea that Kunena did not automatically integrate by using the same user database. I'm sure you've saved me a lot of pain. Hope I can repay the gesture someday

cheers-
Proverbs 18:21

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds