Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Does Kunena work on mysql 4.1.22 and php 4.4.7?

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #1 by utemplates
I read here that Kunena requires msql 5 and php5.

Unfortunately, my server is running mysql 4.1.22 and php 4.4.7.

Can I still use Kunena? Apologies for the "newbie" question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by utemplates.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #2 by core2
Any idea why the technical requirements exists? Just for fun? So you can violate them? If you think so you can try to install and see what happen...

PHP >= 4.3 & MySQL >= 5.0, not msql !

Sorry for being a bit grunty.

Visit the Kunena documantation .
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by core2.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #3 by utemplates

Any idea why the technical requirements exists? Just for fun? So you can violate them? If you think so you can try to install and see what happen...

(sarcasm)Excellent, thank you core2 for your very intelligent respond to my post. I guess this type of sarcasm is exactly what this community needs. I am sure that Kunena will attract even more users with people like you around.

Sorry for being a bit grunty.

Please continue ;) Your contribution is of high value (/sarcasm).

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
utemplates wrote:

I read here that Kunena requires msql 5 and php5.

Correct (assuming you mean MySQL)

utemplates wrote:

Unfortunately, my server is running mysql 4.1.22 and php 4.4.7.

See my response here .

utemplates wrote:

Can I still use Kunena?

No
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #5 by core2
So if we drop the sarcasm, sorry if I offend you, it is a difference between a requirement and recommendation. You may get away with violating the last one, but not the first one.

The developers of Kunena have introduce the requirement so they can facilitate new function within MySQL (and php).

If you had read the technical requirement, it clearly state that the installation will abort if you don't meet the requirement.

So a clear answer to your question: No you can't install Kunena on your server unless you update your server so you meet the requirement. If you are on a hosted server consider switching hosting provider.

Edit:
I see that sozzled point to an earlier post that already answer your question. I therefore urge you and other to use the search function in this forum before posting.

And it is a good idea to read the posting guideline before posting.

Best regards

Visit the Kunena documantation .
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by core2.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #6 by johnnydement
Also, why the requirements are there? well, basically because we use some mysql and php functions that we're not there before ;)

Not counting the previous versions are being deprecated soon by it's own devs... any hosts that does not upgrade them is putting it's client at risk, as no more security fixes for these versions will be done. I would not want to be hosted on these kind of host...

That said, would be pretty strange that if you ask your host to upgrade it's versions it would say no...

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #7 by utemplates
Thank for the responses.

I contacted my webhost and apparantly, they are running both php4 and php 5 versions. If I want to run php 5 files, then the php files need to have .php5 extension. Does these files have that extension? Or do I need to manually change them?

Im currently discussing upgrades for mysql with my host.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #8 by johnnydement
no, our files have usual .php... never heard of such a thing as forcing .php5 extension... isn't a linux server? linux doesn't look at extensions in any way :S

I doubt kunena works if you rename the files to another thing... you could try some htaccess config...

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #9 by utemplates
Yea got a confirmation that I can fix this through the htaccess configuration.
Only thing left now is an upgrade to the mysql server.

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds