Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged User Groups, User Group Privileges, ACLs

• Nihil
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #121 by Nihil
Replied by Nihil on topic Kunenoob here. How do i make groups?
i would like to have users with access or lack of access to this or that forum section based on grouping. Team A and B can access forum ONE. Team A can access forum TWO, but not forum THREE. Team B can access THREE but not TWO. Ideally, i'd want Team A to have it's own moderators.

Is this possible?

My current system for having a hidden section is to create a section that only moderators can see. But i'd like to give people access to a particular section without giving them the power to delete/modify other people's posts.

Thanks in advance!
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 11 months ago #122 by xillibit
Hello,

You need to change the usergroup in joomla!, by example set the users on author or publisher and set the specifics categories (sections) to allow only this king of usergroup.

It's the only way actually to realize what you want..

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
  • Nihil
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #123 by Nihil
Replied by Nihil on topic Re: Kunenoob here. How do i make groups?
If i make Team A Authors and Team B Publishers, then yes, i could sort of do it. i think Joomla makes it so that Publishers are also Authors. Which breaks one of the requirements (keeping them from seeing each other's forum sections). It would also mean giving them power on the CMS side of the site, which i might not want to do.

i'll post this in the desired features area later.
  • Nihil
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #124 by Nihil
i'd like to see user groups that are independent of forum user level and Joomla power level.

i want Alan to be able to read the section on Airplanes (but not Bikes). i want Bob to see the section about Bikes (but not Airplanes). i want Charlie to have access to both. i want to do this without allowing Bob and Alan to be Authors, Publishers or whatever.

The way to do this is groups. We have two groups: Air and Bikes. i add Bob to the Bikes group and Alan to the Air group and Charlie to both.
More
13 years 11 months ago #125 by Cerberus
sigh or you could do a search on these forums for " ACL " OR " Access Control Lists " and then you will find a big explaination of your issue.
  • Nihil
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #126 by Nihil
Replied by Nihil on topic Re: Kunenoob here. How do i make groups?
Cerberus,

It's arrogant assume i've ever heard of Access Control Lists in this context. The developer who posted above you didn't mention them either. i had no reason at all to connect groups (as they are called in MS domains and phpBB) to the Access Control List in Joomla (which i had never heard of before).

Had you looked at my post count you'd see that i'm new here. Had you looked at the first word of the title of this thread you'd see that i called myself a noob.

Here's how an adult would have posted:

What you want is an Access Control List (ACL). You can find out more about them at this link. They aren't supported by Joomla yet but might be in the next version.

Next time, keep the childish arrogance to yourself... or don't post.
More
13 years 11 months ago #127 by Cerberus
please please please use the search before asking questions, this subject has been covered many times.

IN SHORT:

J1.5x and K1.5x do not yet support ACLs ( access control lists ) and that is what you are going to need for what you are trying to do but in J1.6 and K2.0 (long way off) ACLs will be added so that restrictions can be better added to who can see and access each catagory of the forum, this includes give certain users extras over standard users.

THE LONG ANSWER:

www.kunena.com/forum/132-common-question...it=10&start=10#23209
More
13 years 11 months ago #128 by Cerberus
Even if you had searched " users groups " you would have got the same information post, so your logic is flawed and funny how you got your answer from me and not a dev here, so i guess giving you the information you need is being arrogant. The fact you clearly have not even bothered to read these forums and just expect others to do your work for you, that would make you either lazy or arrogant enough to think you are owed something, just caused YOU installed a FREE peice of software.

FYI im just a user here, but i help because im not selfish and like helping others in this community and not just taking from it.
More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #129 by sozzled
Excuse me for interrupting this discussion. Before we get off-topic and go off into unexplored territory about making assumptions or implying arrogance on the part of those who post here, I should like us to keep the discussion relevant to the topic.

Although the point may not have been clearly made, these kinds of questions are often asked and they are difficult for new users to understand.

The basic procedures for creating "special" classes of discussion categories in Kunena are covered in the following Wiki articles and I suggest you familiarise yourself with them. They may provide the necessary information you seek: As far as extending the existing mechanisms are concerned, please read the earlier posts in the discussion topic which I have merged this one with.

Thank you. :)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by sozzled.
More
13 years 11 months ago #130 by sozzled
That's a good question, Nihil, and Cerberus' answer is also a good one. :)

The problem is caused by the lack of features in Joomla 1.5. These features have been extended by third-party add-ons that you can obtain from the Joomla Extensions Directory . Most of the solutions that I have seen are provided as "commercial" extensions - that is, you have to pay for them.

Until Joomla 1.6 become public you will need some third-party extension to enhance Joomla 1.5. That pretty much sums it up for the time being.

Kunena will continue to use whatever is available to it through Joomla or by whatever other means you have extended it. B)
Time to create page: 0.746 seconds