Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Joomla legacy mode and Kunena

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #1 by Baze
Moderator's note: topic split from cb.wall.php causes RSS feed error: XML Parsing Error: junk after document element

Well the only component that's holding the legacy switch on my site currently is Marketplace . I have the version 1.4.6 and the new version which is 1.5 native don't have option to import the old ads (i can import them but without images which is useless) :S

i'm thinking what's the best solution, should i go for new component with better options and start the ads from scratch or leave the site in legacy mode :S
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
As you see, Baze, I split your last message from another thread because we have now introduced a new subject. I will refer to your comments about your need to use J! 1.5 in "legacy" mode here.

We have had similar discussions about the ongoing need to run Joomla 1.5 in legacy mode to permit compatibility with J! 1.0 things - see What is the difference between Joomla 1.5 "native" and "legacy" mode - but those discussions were a very long time ago when J! 1.5 was relatively young.

I felt that this was such an important subject, I wrote a Wiki article about it: see Legacy mode

J! 1.5 is now a quite old, in terms of software, having been around for over 2½ years. J! 1.6 is getting closer day-by-day to be released and, if there's one thing you didn't know, there's no "legacy" mode in J! 1.6 to allow non-compliant J! 1.5 software to run with it.

The important point that I want to make is this: in the world of highly-disposable software - like the internet - where the new software you serve on the table at dinner time tonight is stale by breakfast time tomorrow morning, there is only a handful of good reasons why you should be hanging on to relics of the past ... such as software written for Joomla 1.0!

Joomla! 1.5 "legacy" mode has negligible impact from the end user's perspective and there is little appreciable difference both in functionality and performance. The important matter is that this feature is only a transitional feature that won't be available in some future version of Joomla!. For users who want to future-proof their Joomla! installations, they should try to eliminate their dependence on legacy mode, where possible, and shop for products that are built as Joomla! 1.5 native extensions. That's really the bottom line: most customers want to run Joomla! 1.5; it's the market that's driving developers to stay focused.

Eliminate your legacy mode components as soon as you possible can. J! 1.0 was officially retired on 22 July 2009 (that was a year ago) and there is no support for J! 1.0 software.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baze
More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #3 by Baze
Thanks sozzled, a tap on the shoulder i needed. I'm searching for descent ads component which will replace my current one, and finally i'll flip that legacy switch to off :)

EDIT: Done, no more legacy label on my site :cheer:
i wonder if this would solve the issues with the [img] tags on the forum..
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Baze.
More
13 years 6 months ago #4 by sozzled
Please important advice for K 1.6 users about Legacy Mode
More
13 years 6 months ago #5 by password
I have a lot of modules and plugin in joomla 1.5...how to find older components that need joomla legacy mode for removing them and turn off legacy mode ?
Thanks in advance...
More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #6 by Matias
Go to installer and select components/modules/plugins tab. Last column should be green for J1.5 native extensions.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Matias.
More
13 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled
One of the most interesting side-effects of people using the K 1.6 configuration report is that is reveals, perhaps for the first time, the significant ongoing use of Legacy mode for new installations of Joomla!

I have asked myself this question, many times. Why do people enable the System - Legacy plugin? Perhaps they see a big red cross on the list of plugins and think "I'd better enable this so that I see pretty green ticks". It's a bit like clicking off the safety catch on a firearm. Maybe the plugin was disabled by default for a reason? Have people considered that possibility?

I can understand why people might have, once upon a time, needed Legacy mode. It was a stop-gap measure designed to facilitate the take-up of K 1.5 by a Joomla community that had a large investment in Joomla 1.0 software. However, as we all know, Joomla 1.5 has been around for over three years and three years in software evolutionary terms is a very long time ago. The temporary, stop-gap feature that was built when J! 1.5 was in its infancy is still there today in J! 1.5.22.

As we all know, "legacy mode" was never offered with any guarantees that it would solve all the compatibility issues that might happen when people tried to run J! 1.0 software on a J! 1.5 framework. The frameworks are different! Joomla 1.5 makes Joomla 1.0 obsolete ... and that's the important lesson. But I also want to add that, from my research, "legacy mode" does not come with any guarantees that it will not adversely impact on the normal operation of J! 1.5 either!

Because it's now past the time when "legacy mode" was once needed, Kunena is not tested to operate under "legacy mode" conditions.

For those that think that future versions of Joomla will always be backward-compatible with previous versions - that you can, for example, continue to run J! 1.5 software under J! 1.6 - you will be in for a rather rude awakening. Joomla 1.6 does not provide any "legacy mode". In fact, I have not seen any details yet about an official "extension migration" solution that allows J! 1.5 users to convert their templates/components/modules/extensions/languages across to J! 1.6.

So, next week, when J! 1.6 is to be officially launched, there is probably going to be a bit of disappointment and heart-ache about having to say farewell to old J! 1.5 favourites ... or the realisation that people will have to wait a bit longer before the extensions developers catch up by offering J! 1.6-compatible software. Kunena is in a lead position at the moment. K 1.6.2 will work with J! 1.6 and future versions of K 1.6 will operate on both J! 1.5 and J! 1.6 platforms.

However, getting back to this topic: people need to now take inventory of their website software assets and bring their software up to date if they plan to stay current with technological change. There's probably no harm in running "legacy mode" - if you don't want to upgrade any software - and that's a comforting thought. BUT ... for your own sake, don't build new websites now with outdated software or with products that you will not be able to maintain yourselves.

In summary: don't use "legacy mode"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mortti
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #8 by astrogoal
Some time ago, i need to use legacy joomla plugin, but now i unistalled old component and i don't need too. (I use joomla 1.5.22 e kunena 1.6.3 that is an updatate from all old kunena versione!!!!).
The problem is that if I disable legacy plugin kunena stops work :/

I read this, but does not help me docs.kunena.org/index.php/Special:Search?search=legacy

Can help me?

Ps: In /media/kunena/attachments i have a legacy folder with some images... have i delete?
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by astrogoal.
More
12 years 11 months ago #9 by sozzled
This is what I wrote a while ago:

There's a very easy way to find out if you have J! 1.0 legacy software running on a J! 1.5 website. It's not 100% foolproof but it's reliable enough for our purposes:

Go to Extensions » Install / Uninstall

You will see that 6 sub-functions you can choose from:

• Install
  • Components
  • Modules
  • Plugins
  • Languages
  • Templates
Click, one by one, each of the items I've bolded above. Browse the listed items and look for any items that have a red X in the compatibility column. For example, see the following image (the red X is shown against the ObjectClarity Kunena Discussbot plugin):

If you find any items like these, disable them; better still, uninstall them. I would say that you missed one or two. See if what I have suggested makes a difference. :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #10 by astrogoal
yes i know :) but does not solve! I have this problem only for kunena... If i disable legacy plugin, kunena disappeared... in the forum was write that kunena work better without this plugin. In my site, from older kunena version, i work with plugin on, but if i put off, kunena stops.. Very strange.
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds